Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dropped off a sweet, well behaved puppy at the vet....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped off a sweet, well behaved puppy at the vet....

....and brought home a total BRAT!!

Oh my goodness...Molly has been pushing it big time since she got home last week. I mean, seriously pushing it.

She has been so rude, taking food out of my kiddos hands, knocking my (almost) 4 year old daughter down, barking through the night, jumping on my husband and I, demanding attention, disobeying basic commands.... *sigh* I could go on and on.

The biggest issue I have, as if all the above isn't enough , is her ATTITUDE. This girl is just getting "too big for her britches" as my grandma used to say. I mean, before her 2.5 day hospital stay, she was well mannered and sweet. Since she came home, she is being really mouthy, grumbly, growly, snippy and pushy.

At first, I thought it was just due to the lack of exercise. She has had lots of free play running outside and walks. Its NOT helping. Anyone else go through this? Just a phase? Back to square one? Going into the dreaded "teen phase" at only 6 months?

HELP!
    sigpic
    Cara, Wife to Tony, Mom to...
    2 great kids, Anthony Jr. (12) and Olivia (5)
    Molly, my first Dane (2)
    Aspen, my deafie rescue girl (4)
    Crosby, my wobbly rescue boy *RIP* at 20 months.

IMHO, the answer to your questions are yes, yes, yes and yes. I am not a trainer or behaviorist, but I did just come out of the teen phase with my dog, so I have anecdotal experience.

Perhaps she was propelled into this phase as a result of the vet stay. Other then being earlier then what we saw in Reich, all other behaviors are the similar. I suggest back tracking in her training and being consistent in your expectation of her. Keep emotion out of it if you can . When Reich was being an obvious total brat, I would calmly leash him to me (tether) and ignore his antics. Easier said then done, I know. Just remind her what your expectations are, and really work her on her known commands and additional training. I made Reich practice his commands multiple times a day in short training sessions (practice, practice). I also added as many opportunities as I could in daily life, to require him to respond to known commands. I.E. leave it and take it while eating, drop it and come around while playing tuggy, touch and shake while sharing lovies, etc.. I seized every opportunity I could find, to expect positive behavior and name it for him, thusly reinforcing it.

Just a dane (and human) mom's perspective. I am sure others with training experience will chime in.

FYI, the teen phase is challenging, but when they pass through it, they emerge as balanced companions, and you realize they were learning all along (even though they sure appear to not hear you at all!). Remember, it is important to stay calm and consistent. Never let 'em see you sweat

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
    ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
    <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

I'm in the middle of a teen-age phase too, and am just loving the TETHER.

I cannot wait until the day I can say what intensgrl said: "they emerge as balanced companions" - I really hope she does!! Cuz right now it seems like she's not listning!!
      sigpicTexas... my first dane!

Comment

Thank you both! Molly seems worse with my husband right now than she is with me. Maybe because I am home during the day...more time to work with her. When Dad gets home...all respect goes out the window for at least 30 mintutes.

I really wonder if its too early to be in the teen phase...and if so...how much worse will this get?
        sigpic
        Molly, my first Dane (2)

Comment

stupid crawdad!
          sigpic
          Myboy RIP at 2 1/2 product of BYB

Comment

Athena just 6 months as well. Last few days, seems similar to yours.

Not sure if it teenage antics, but she is definitely pushing it. As you said, rude at times!

sigpic
            Athena

Comment

Originally posted by tonyjrsmom View Post
              Thank you both! Molly seems worse with my husband right now than she is with me. Maybe because I am home during the day...more time to work with her. When Dad gets home...all respect goes out the window for at least 30 mintutes.

I really wonder if its too early to be in the teen phase...and if so...how much worse will this get?
              Thats funny, Pandora is the complete opposite. When I get home Lorrie says she seems to calm down a bit ( albiet a very little bit lol). We are starting to see her calm down overall right now... she just hit 8 months... so I think we are into the lull period before the big teenage spike Lorrie tells me "shush, shes a perfect angel".... as I throw my newest cushion in the trash
              sigpic

Comment

I think Molly is more of an extrovert, and will push for whatever she can get away with. I have a child like that. The consolation is that he is 18 now and after much bashing of our heads together over the years, he has turned into a very easy kid, quite possibly my easiest. I would stay the course, with much NILF. She may possibly be one of these dogs that think if you give them an inch, they can get a mile.
                Some of this may be from her diet change, but exercise is your friend right now. Can you incorporate training into a game; random touch training, sit, down, stay, maybe incorporated into a game of fetch for some exercise, throughout the day, so she knows that she must respect you. I did that every day with Carlie, three times a day, along with two walks. It burns off the extra energy, and she did not even realize that I made her practice behavior in order to get the reward of fetch.
                I told you about the insane chaos of Daddy being gone, packing all of our stuff, and Mommy being so busy, affecting all of my dogs lately. Well, I have made a very meditated effort to spend time with each dog every day, and they have all settled right back into place. I spend a solid 30 minutes outside with the dogs in the morning, throwing the toys and just playing with them, some days everyone together, and some days one at a time. A good dose of zoomie really helps them burn off the naughties. A few extra snuggles are good too, especially for the older two. Ayla was digging at my rug tonight, a horrible habit of hers, and I told her to leave it, she grumbled a sigh, and laid down. A week ago, I would have had to get up and redirect her, because our house was just so chaotic. My time has made a HUGE change in the dogs. I wonder if that is why tethering works so well for so many people?! An attached dog is a dog who is probably getting more of your attention. Just a thought. I still think the diet change plays a role.
                Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by myboy View Post
                  stupid crawdad!
                  [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by myboy View Post
                    stupid crawdad!

Stupid Crawdad....cost me 836.00 and my sanity for the moment!
                    sigpic
                    Molly, my first Dane (2)

Comment

No real advice here, but had to say I just love Molly!!!

She reminds me of Maggie, and as hard as it is I have a soft spot for sweet little girls with bit of attitude. I call them "Diva's in Training" lol.

Good luck!

fyi - I would probably try more exercise too as crdane suggested.
                      sigpicIntroducing Miss Maggie Maggie - 3 Years Old

Comment

Originally posted by Natanya View Post
                        No real advice here, but had to say I just love Molly!!!

She reminds me of Maggie, and as hard as it is I have a soft spot for sweet little girls with bit of attitude. I call them "Diva's in Training" lol.

Good luck!

fyi - I would probably try more exercise too as crdane suggested.
                        Thank you! She is full of attitude for sure! She starts another obedience class Sunday, so I am hoping it will help too.

When I see Maggie I think...so THATS what Molly would look like cropped!
                        sigpic
                        Molly, my first Dane (2)

Comment

Working...
                        X