Tips for walking 2 at once

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazzandcompany View Post
    That would be great! How did you start with the training for stoppign with a leash dropped? I love that idea!

Right now I have them both on prong collars, but have been thinking about switching them to martingales. With the prongs I have to use to hands, Martingales I could have both in 1 hand correct? With Blues being so new to leash walking I still feel I need more than a flat collar. Jazz has a 98% solid leave it command with small critters, but with the 2 of them together, I'd rather be safe than sorry and have a little more control than a flat until I am more confident with them both together.

What would you all suggest?

Jeanne I have never used a halti before, is this something I should look into do you think?

Thanks guys!
    Em
    I think the martingle would give you less control over both dogs than the prong, but the prong is possibly still not enough, depending on the motivator. Most dogs I know/work with will/do pull through both a prong or martingale, despite the pain/discomfort, because whatever they are pulling towards is more rewarding than the collars are painful. So pulling becomes worth it.

This is why I prefer Haltis or body harnesses, because they (for the most part, anyway - there are some very determined dogs out there for sure) remove the dog's ability to pull by either redirecting the nose, or shifting the dog's centre of balance by squeezing the shoulders. With both of these, they can't get the weight behind pulling. But with training collars, they still can.
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

I have been walking my 2 together for a while. My dane puppy has a bad habit of lunging at cars as they go by. I have tried to get him to sit stay and this works pretty well if it is just the 2 of us. but he never gives me his 100% attention he always looks at the car even if he is holding the stay. I am working on sit/stay because I know it is a weak command but any suggestions/help on how to keep him from lunging at the cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Meatos View Post
        I think the martingle would give you less control over both dogs than the prong, but the prong is possibly still not enough, depending on the motivator. Most dogs I know/work with will/do pull through both a prong or martingale, despite the pain/discomfort, because whatever they are pulling towards is more rewarding than the collars are painful. So pulling becomes worth it.

This is why I prefer Haltis or body harnesses, because they (for the most part, anyway - there are some very determined dogs out there for sure) remove the dog's ability to pull by either redirecting the nose, or shifting the dog's centre of balance by squeezing the shoulders. With both of these, they can't get the weight behind pulling. But with training collars, they still can.
        Yes, martingales are really not a control device at all. Breez is one who will "forget" there is a human at the end of the leash when her prey drive kicks in, and it takes my voice to re-direct her. Honestly, until you have super reliable voice control, especially walking more than one, its really best to have some management tool on the dog. JMO

Originally posted by smb View Post
        I have been walking my 2 together for a while. My dane puppy has a bad habit of lunging at cars as they go by. I have tried to get him to sit stay and this works pretty well if it is just the 2 of us. but he never gives me his 100% attention he always looks at the car even if he is holding the stay. I am working on sit/stay because I know it is a weak command but any suggestions/help on how to keep him from lunging at the cars?
        Yikes, yes, that's really dangerous! First order of business is some sort of management tool to make sure he does not drag YOU in to harms way or get away from you and injure himself. I personally would rather see a dog who lunges on some sort of no pull harness than a head halter or prong, but that will depend on what works for you and your dog.
        Once you have safety taken care of, I would enlist the help of a friend, find a relatively quiet neighborhood and work on the 3 D's - distance, distraction, duration. Start with distance. Find the distance where your pup will notice the car but not lunge, reward him for walking nicely, and slowly decrease the distance with lots and lots of rewards for compliance. Now up the duration of walking nicely with a car approaching. See if he can hold position for longer and longer with a car near him. Then add in distractions, speed the car up, rev the engine etc.

This is a super chopped up version of a much longer training process, so I really suggest you enlist the help of a trainer to walk you through each step. But that's bascially how you deal with that kind of situation.
        Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
        - Anatole France

Comment

Working...
        X