Hudson has one issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hudson has one issue

Hudson is the BEST dog ever!! He just has one problem with one person. His mane is Robert and Robert thinks it's funny to grad Hudson around the waist with a roar. First time Rob snuck up behind Hudson he yelp and ran. 2nd time at a later date Rob does the same thing Hudson reaches around with an aggresive bark and lunge never bites but looked liked he did. Well just now Hudson was lying at Rob's feet and Dave (husband) goes to move him and Hudson jumps at Rob with a bark. Hudson has never shown any aggresion with any one at all and I take him everywhere. All different people, kids, male or female does not matter. Hudson is a year and a half and will come to Rob and let him pet him seems very friendly with him except for these 3 moments. Has Hudson lost trust with this person? And yes both times funny Rob did this I asked him to never do it again. I think he learned when Hudson lunged at him the 2nd time. Scared the out of us both. At least Hudson will come to him and I have him treat Hudson for this. When he acted aggresive I made Hudson belly up next to him. Sorry so long anything else I can do to get the trust back.
    sigpic
    Stephanie..... Owned by
    Hudson -2yr old GD
    Macee-16 month old GD
    Red- Forever will be missed!

this guy walks up BEHIND a dog, wraps his arms around him and grabs him while he lets out a roar??? honey, i wouldn't be ASKING him to never do it again, i'd be DEMANDING and if he did it a second time, he'd be out the door on his ass!

how did you "make" hudson go belly up?? no freaking way i'd do that! to me, it's asking for more trouble than you already have.

man, it just makes my blood boil when i hear of people like this guy. if i was there, *I* woulda bit him!!
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Yeah belive me I was pissed but it's husband friend. I Have put ALOT of time in traing Hudson. Last thing I want is an aggresive Dane I have 2 little kids (7 and 9). Belive me Rob knows never to do this again. I really am not blaming Hudson I think Rob got what he needs. I just don't want Hudson to be become funny around people. He's my heart dog and my baby and I want no aggresion from him.
      Last edited by stephanie0013; 08-27-2011, 07:40 PM.
      sigpic
      Stephanie..... Owned by
      Hudson -2yr old GD
      Macee-16 month old GD

Comment

If Hudson hasn't shown any trust issues with anyone else I wouldn't worry too much about him suddenly eating kids. Seriously though, if this "funny guy" is someone who comes around often he has to understand he can NEVER do it again, ever, period. To start to turn things around he should be giving Hudson lots of soft, (girlie voice) praise and treats. He should approach appropriately and calmly. Hudson will get over it if it's handled correctly, but your friend needs to realize that his behaviour is WAY out of line. He's really lucky he didn't get bit.
        JMO.
        sigpic

Comment

The making him go belly up to him will probably just make him feel more insecure around him as that is a VERY vulnerable position for a dog ( basically submission to the point of giving up their life). I personally would be having this person try to earn back Hudson's trust, putting him into vulnerable positions around him will just make him more uneasy. Have the guy give him treats etc to make being around him a good time. One of my dogs is uneasy with people of different races from us so we have some friends that we work on this with and it has done wonders.

I would also make sure that your husband and this friend know that unless he agrees fully to NEVER behave that way with the dogs again he is not welcome in the house or around the dog. Your home is Hudson's den, his safe place it's not fair to him to be scared by strangers there.

Comment

Thanks for the advice okay we will not go belly up again. Hudson has no other trust issues with anyone. Rob knows never to do this again He is now afraid of Hudson and i'm sure Hudson is leary of Rob. He did a close bark at Rob again tonight but they are watchin the UFC fights. So Hudson and I are upstairs and we come down for treats and pets in between fights. So I guess we go slow, steady and calm?
            sigpic
            Stephanie..... Owned by
            Hudson -2yr old GD
            Macee-16 month old GD

Comment

Originally posted by stephanie0013 View Post
              Thanks for the advice okay we will not go belly up again. Hudson has no other trust issues with anyone. Rob knows never to do this again He is now afraid of Hudson and i'm sure Hudson is leary of Rob. He did a close bark at Rob again tonight but they are watchin the UFC fights. So Hudson and I are upstairs and we come down for treats and pets in between fights. So I guess we go slow, steady and calm?
              Yes, and try not to be nervous. If you are nervous, hudson will know it. Up the ante too, give Rob some hotdogs and cheese. When you know Rob is coming over, get the special tasty treats ready before he's even there. Set Hudson up for some success.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm just so MAD at Rob!!! I worked really hard to make sure this never happens. I'm not nervous but Rob gets nervous when Hudson's by his face. I'm not putting them face to face their just eye level when Rob's on the couch. Thank you for the great ideas and we will use the hotdogs and cheese. Something he does not get much.
                sigpic
                Stephanie..... Owned by
                Hudson -2yr old GD
                Macee-16 month old GD

Comment

Originally posted by stephanie0013 View Post
                  just eye level when Rob's on the couch.
                  how far apart are they? does he stare at him? this rob guy sounds absolutely clueless about dogs and dog behavior and what is proper and what is NOT proper. how often does he visit? i would either take hudson upstairs and chill out for the duration of his visits or i'd load him up and take him somewhere else to play. after what this guy has already done, i wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him even if he had a whole bucket of cheese and hot dogs.
                  [SIGPIC]

Comment

No Hudson does not stare at Rob, get stiff or just seem uneasy. That's why last night shocked us. Hudson choose to lay at Rob feet untill Dave tried to move him. The couch is right by the hallway so you have to pass by to go upstairs. Rob is kinda over weight so he's more of a sitter and that how we were treating Hudson. Rob had a GS that was aggresive go figure. I know who made him that way. It was late like 10ish that is why we were upstairs for the fights. Out of all of Dave's friends hes my least fav. maybe Hudson knows this to? He visits about once every 2 months and yes I will NEVER trust him around or alone with my dog!!!
                    sigpic
                    Stephanie..... Owned by
                    Hudson -2yr old GD
                    Macee-16 month old GD

Comment

You've gotten great advice. Lots of yummy treats, try not to be nervous, and definitely no more making Hudson go belly up - fine if he offers it, but don't make him.

Unfortunately while this guy sounds like a class A moron, this sort of thing, where your dog has a bad experience can and does happen no matter how careful you are. Usually its unintentional, so I totally understand being mad at this guy because his was INtentional, but your anger and nerves towards him is just feeding in to Hudson's reactions to him.

But yeah, stuff happens with our dogs no matter how hard we try to avoid it. Its how we react in the aftermath that will make the difference as far as how the dog recovers and moves on. You've gotten good advice, and it will serve you well with Hudson getting over this bump
                      Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                      - Anatole France

Comment

If I'm understanding correctly, Hudson has only seen this Rob jackass a few times in his life (you said he doesn't come over often) and during those few occasions Rob has suddenly and out of the blue surprised and mishandled Hudson. I think that even if you don't notice Hudson being nervous around the guy, he most certainly has learned never to trust Rob. After all, the guy just "attacks" randomly in Hudson's viewpoint. I think that you'll have a long road of Rob behaving himself like a gentleman before Hudson develops trust that he won't randomly act like a d-bag. I wish you luck! I'm pretty sure that if I were in your situation Rob would never be allowed in my home again.
                        sigpic

Willow says: Can I have my apple, please?

Comment

Basically all of my friends are "dog-illiterate", and generally nervous around Texas, so we have a routine when people are over: Texas has her spot on the couch, with me next to her. Friends get the arm chairs. After about 30 min, Texas either gets a special treat to work on in her dog bed or crate, or outside, depending on the weather and how everyone (and her) are doing.

She is super sensitive to nervous people so I'm trying to teach her just to ignore nervous people and not let it affect her mood. I've kinda given up on training my friends to be dog people. I find training my DOG to be enough challenge for me!!!
                          sigpicTexas... my first dane!

Comment

Working...
                          X