Zoomies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoomies?

I have read allot of post about zoomies and it is one of the few things that concern me about getting a dane. When the Danes get zoomies do they knock over anything and anyone in there way. I have seen one dane have the zoomies we were not very close to her when she had them. I have a four year old and I was wondering could this be a problem? The few people I have talked to have said when their dog gets them they just let them run around in the back yard to let them get it out of their system but I wanted to hear from other dane owners. :0)

Zoomies inside the house can disasterous! {Some dont allow it at all, others (like myself) only alow it they are mild and when no kids are present, they can be somewhat controlled or re-directed.} I have seen holes put in walls, peoples legs broken, couches knocked over you name it its happened.. but on the same token, I have a 15 month old dane a 3.5 year old child and a 2 year old child and one on the way and no one has been injured, no walls damaged etc... BECAUSE I dont allow major zoomies inside. When she starts I either tell her to 'settle' and calm her down OR send her outside to let her get it out of her system... Dont let something like Zoomies deter you ~ they are a good thing imo.. tells me my puppy is happy and feeling good and they are so funny to watch! Training is essential ~

Again, just my opinion on zoomies
    ~*Hailey*~
    sigpic
    Sway 4/21/10 - 11/26/13
    "Our hearts still ache in sadness, And secret tears still flow, What it meant to lose you, No one will ever know."

Comment

A good zoomie always makes my heart happy!!!! I don't allow zooming in the house either; I try to get them outside as soon as I see it starting.

I don't have any small children, but I'm always amazed that Cleo can turn on a dime mid zoom to avoid Jake or me. It would be important to keep any small children in your arms or right by you during zoomies.
      sigpicKelly

Comment

Yes, zoomies can be dangerous and possibly desctructive. BUT..they are the funniest thing to watch! You can see its PURE JOY!! If I see Molly getting too crazy, and I know its going to be a BIG one I tell her outside! And boy does she run!

Don't fear the zoomie...embrace the zoomie!

My three year old knows to brace herself (I will go stand next to her to protect her if need be) and Molly will go out of her way to avoid knocking into any one of us. The couch however...that has become a mid zoomie agility obsticle.
        sigpic
        Cara, Wife to Tony, Mom to...
        2 great kids, Anthony Jr. (12) and Olivia (5)
        Molly, my first Dane (2)
        Aspen, my deafie rescue girl (4)
        Crosby, my wobbly rescue boy *RIP* at 20 months.

Comment

I will also say that the zoomies can be downright destructive...but that's why I don't allow them in the house. I have a 4 year old and 1 year old twins. So far nobody has been injured....although this morning Ella was sitting in the floor and got whacked right in the face with Olive's tail. Nothing major though. My 4 year old knows that when we are in the backyard with the dogs not to run with their frisbee or he will get chased.
          Wife to Brian
          Mommy to 3 skin kids - Kaleb (6) and twins Ben and Ella (3) - and Olive, Great Dane (2)!
          <3

sigpic

Comment

They are fun to watch:-) To the point that it is sometimes hard to get out of the way you are laughing so hard.

In addition to moving it outside - as already suggested - I would also recommennd correction if they run into you or the kids - or even if they come too close in a "fly-by"... by correction I simply mean a simple "No" if he will stop at that - or clipping on a leash to stop all the fun for that session, or removing your presence. It is amazing how much they are like little kids & like an audience.

It is relatively simple to set boundaries of behavior if you are consistent. There are many threads on DOL about training - and the nothing-in-life-is-free method. This would be a good read for a first tme Dane owner.
            sigpicNikol Marsh & Glory, Emma, Tycho & Bronte
            Dantrydane's GloryB Gallantree
            Am/Int CH Perlwin's MBN Original Emma V EIO, RN, TT, CGC, TDI
            Int CH Blue Moon's For Game and Glory, CGC, TDI
            Sasdania's Poetry In Motion, RN, CGC

Comment

I have never been ran into, but Desi has knocked herself out running into the side of the house looking the other way. I was laughing so hard, it took a moment to be concerned. She was so embarassed when she came to. Most of the zoomies happen outside and they fill me with happiness. Indoor zoomies are short lived. I don't have kids, but my dogs have never run into each other either.

Don't fear the zoomies, and as one of my dane owning friend says... NEVER LOCK YOUR KNEES.
              sigpic
              Lori, Desi & Grimm
              RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
              Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
              Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

you will learn to brace yourself against a wall, and we holler "INCOMING" when she starts, we try to stop her, but it is like trying to catch a greased pig!!
                Teach your children the best place to stand when a zoomie starts is against the wall, if there is no wall try to get close to the nearest large object. A good inside zoomie a dane can clear a couch in a single bound.
                sigpic
                My Crew
                The Danes:
                Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
                The Cats:
                Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
                At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
                ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

Sprocket had his first real xoomie in the play yard at our dog club tonight and ran into my left knee. Ximmy has NEVER hit me, but has come very close too often.
                  We try to move her outdoors if she xoomies in the house. She actually hits the back of the sofa in the horizontal. Very hard on sofas!
                  sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

LOL, yup, Pandora uses the "dog" sofa as a banked turns 1 and 2 during her zoomie runs. Turn 3 and 4 are around the dining room table and are of the "flat turn" variety Luckilly we don't have little ones here all the time (only when the grandbabies visit), so we can tolerate a little more zoomie activity... just the same we either try to calm her, or redirect outdoors if her brain is totally disengaged :P Zoomies are definanlty a time of pure joy for a dane.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, try to keep the zoomies outdoors if possible. Otherwise, brace yourself and stay out of the way! We love giggling at the show...

The thing is that this is NOT the type of dog for a delicate small child. I say that meaning perhaps one with a bone disorder, etc., or particularly frail individuals. Just by sheer size they knock people over. Cosmo SAT on my 5yo's little friend the other day and the poor little man was practically turning blue under that puppy weight. And, Cosmo playfully put a paw square in another 5yo boy's chest and completely tipped him backwards. He has leaned against my son and pinned him against the couch. These dogs are HUGE and they naturally will cause some form of minor discomfort (tail smacks, feet getting stepped on, etc) in the normal course of things.

Zoomies are the same way. If this was a Yorkie - no big deal. But, a 140 lb dog running lights-out will definitely be cause for concern. They are sweet, gentle giants but you have to be realistic about how a dog that big will affect you and your little ones. Teach your children to be smart dog owners and teach your dog manners, and everyone will live happily ever after.
                      sigpicKelly and Cosmo.

Comment

I think Eefsting put that very very well
                        sigpic

Comment

This is my experience/opinion only - but having a VERY high energy dane pup - I would not get a dane pup with little ones. If I had a more mellow dane, I bet my opinion would be different. The thing is, the breeder told me she was such a mellow dane pup.....but the opposite was true. We love her to death - and she is as much of a LOVE as a NUT - but there has been a significant amount of injuries. I do not feel like I can have my young god-son over safely while this one is a pup.

Comment

Working...
                          X