"You're impeding his ability to express behaviour that is natural."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're impeding his ability to express behaviour that is natural."

I was away this weekend and was talking about Castiel to a friend that I see once a year at the event that I was at. I mentioned that we take him everywhere with us and play with him a lot so that when we get home, he's too tired to be an idiot.

My friend looked HORRIFIED.

"You're impeding his ability to express behaviour that is natural," was what he said.

I explained that I think it's more natural for him to be out with his pack, playing and exploring than it is to be cooped up in an apartment all day, but my friend didn't look convinced.

Isn't it more natural for an animal to return to its den (or apartment) when it is tired, to sleep, than it is for the animal to stay in its den all the time making a mess? Or am I an idiot?
    1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

Errr.. I can't see any logic behind that whatsoever. He's saying you should let the dog become bored and eat the couch??
    sigpic

Comment

What M.Loprete said....doesn't make a lick of sense to me
      My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
      Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
      Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

Dogs are pack animals and yes they love their home.And you know what do not waste your breath on idiots save it to kiss your dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by daneslave View Post
          do not waste your breath on idiots save it to kiss your dogs.
          Ok, my new motto and words to live by. Thanks Cheryl!
          ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Well my Natural behavior is to smack idiots who say stupid things like that in the mouth. How sad for me (and lucky for idiots like him) that my mother's careful rearing of me and my siblings impedes it....

ETA: I realized that sounded mean - I say "idiot" for comic effect only. I'm sure he's quite a lovely person, if a bit confused.
            Last edited by DaneFolly; 05-30-2011, 08:27 PM.
            Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
            Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas&Fam View Post
              Well my Natural behavior is to smack idiots who say stupid things like that in the mouth. How sad for me (and lucky for idiots like him) that my mother's careful rearing of me and my siblings impedes it....
              LMAO thats what 30 years of dealing with idiots has taught me not to do!Life is to short to get mad been there done that!

Comment

I would have said... hmmm, I had always wondered what had happened to you.
                sigpic
                Lori, Desi & Grimm
                RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
                Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
                Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

"You're impeding his ability to express behaviour that is natural"

Comment

I love the "experts"

I had people tell me I walked Moxie too much when she was a pup. When she got crazy in the apartment, I would take her out and for a short walk to change the scenery. Hello- I wasn't wearing out her then 14 year old brother! Those that said this to me either don't own dogs or have dogs they let roam the neighborhood loose

Comment

"You're impeding his ability to express behaviour that is natural"
                      HuH? What exactly is this guy talking about? Maybe I'm being dense, but I have no clue what he means by this statement. Your dogs shouldn't be involved in family/social events and interaction and should be locked in a house, left to his own devices, all day long?
                      sigpic
                      In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                      Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

What on earth?!

A dane just wants to do whatever his family is doing. Scarlett is happy to go with us for a walk, a run, a trip to the gas station, dog class, play dates, to a friend's house, whatever...but she's equally happy to stick around at home with us and be lazy.

A dog's social life has to be a balance like anything else. Excitement and downtime.
                        Katie & Scarlett
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dolmod View Post
                          HuH? What exactly is this guy talking about? Maybe I'm being dense, but I have no clue what he means by this statement. Your dogs shouldn't be involved in family/social events and interaction and should be locked in a house, left to his own devices, all day long?
                          Castiel's ability to express 'natural' behaviour is being impeded by my desire to keep him tired enough that he isn't destructive. We go wandering, then we return and we all chill. We go out and play, then return and chill. Cas is rarely home alone more than two to three hours (we work nearly opposite shifts) and we often have him out 4-6 hours a day because we're house hunting and we're out wandering neighbourhoods checking them out and looking for 'for rent' signs. And when we're doing that part of our relocation work, there's no reason he can't be with us and we'd much rather he were able to hang out with us than leave him home alone for those 4-6 hours per day that we're out and about, in addition to our jobs. (I should note that, when he expresses that he is tired, we bring Castiel home.)
                          1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

Comment

Umm... I'm assuming that your friend doesn't have dogs and hasn't spent a lot of time observing their "natural behavior"?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoenix View Post
                              I was away this weekend and was talking about Castiel to a friend that I see once a year at the event that I was at. I mentioned that we take him everywhere with us and play with him a lot so that when we get home, he's too tired to be an idiot.

My friend looked HORRIFIED.

"You're impeding his ability to express behaviour that is natural," was what he said.

I explained that I think it's more natural for him to be out with his pack, playing and exploring than it is to be cooped up in an apartment all day, but my friend didn't look convinced.

Isn't it more natural for an animal to return to its den (or apartment) when it is tired, to sleep, than it is for the animal to stay in its den all the time making a mess? Or am I an idiot?
                              So...does this friend have skin kids? If so, you should be asking do they not take every opportunity to wear their children out so they will sleep good at night. I know I do! And I am not impeding their ability to express behavior that is natural to them. I say, wear them out. You're the pack leader, you get to decide what's best for your pack!
                              Wife to Brian
                              Mommy to 3 skin kids - Kaleb (6) and twins Ben and Ella (3) - and Olive, Great Dane (2)!
                              <3

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X