Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will keep you updated as we go along. I should note, as well, that both dog trainers I talked to prior to adopting our second did not see any issues with having two puppies the same age. Nor did my vet.

Comment

Originally posted by SAMom View Post
      I will keep you updated as we go along. I should note, as well, that both dog trainers I talked to prior to adopting our second did not see any issues with having two puppies the same age. Nor did my vet.
      It does sometimes work, but often it doesnt. I know the trainers I worked with, if we heard littermates or two pups really close in age, you could pretty much hear the deep breath taken. My saints were littermates...were the best of friends and loved each other deeply...until they were about 4 or 5. I dont know the details as my dad and stepmom had divorced by then and she got the dogs, but they were fighting.

Its not usually a problem when they are young...its when they are older.

Its not something that always causes a problem either...I do know a nice amount of people who have had nothing but good experiences with it and that is great for them. Its just youre stacking the odds against yourself if you get littermates or two pups very close in age.

Comment

Article from a long time experienced dane person.

>>>http://www.daynakingreatdanes.com/Tw...Together_.html
        This is for people who are thinking of raising two puppies together. I'm not saying it can't work, just that most people do not realize how much effort it takes to do this. The article is aimed at new owners who might think of doing this.....not at breeders/experienced people who know how to socialize and train.

Just thought some people might find the link helpfu!

Georgia
        DaynakinGreatDanes.com
        <<<
        Last edited by CADRMNDANES; 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM.

Regards,
        Renee
        http://californiadreaminggreatdanes.com/

"Being kind is much more important than being right. Sometimes, what a person needs is not a brilliant mind that speaks, but a patient heart that understands." ~Unknown

Comment

Too late now. Lol

Ok, one month ago we brought a male and female litter mates in to our home.
          So far so good. It is a lot of work and time consuming.
          We weren't part of this website at the time but had
          asked around and no negatives on litter mates.
          Hopefully since I've read the info here I can take
          some of the suggestions an make thi work. We do take
          Separate times for training individually and outside walks.
          Goliath and Georgia are only 3 months old so
          hopefully we can do this right! Wish us luck and knowledge!

Comment

Beginners luck

Interesting to read this after-the-fact. Thanks for posting!

I rehomed Nikko & Ridley from a lady when they were four months old. They are littermates and were not well socialized when I got them. They were fearful of everything, and had little exposure to things outside their home.

Despite their rough start, they have done amazingly well. Watching them grow (they just turned 1) has been a joy. They are both gentle & sweet, but clearly have very different personalities. Ridley still tends to be a little skittish in certain situations- something we continue to work on. Nikko is the rock- calm, friendly, and protective. Over the last few months, I have seen one or the other take the lead in different situations and have witnessed them teaching each other something on numerous occasions. Often during training one will catch on to a concept first, and it is obvious that the other learns it by watching the sibling.

They are definitely closely bonded, and do pretty much everything together. You will seldom find them in separate areas of the house. The vet & the groomers have always seen them together, and it has not yet been an issue. Even when Ridley needed an overnight stay at the vet, they let Nikko stay too, and put the two together in a large crate. During puppy classes it became somewhat of an issue while trying to practice leash work. They are always too distracted to focus when they are apart but in close range. If we take them to different locations to work where they are not near each other, they are fine. (Although they will still look around for the other- something they also do with my kids when we are near children.) Normally I always take them together to the dog parks & on walks, and they do beautifully. I get loads of compliments in how well behaved they are. (Ha!!)

Upside for me is that they absolutely do provide companionship & entertainment for each other when their people are not around. I love to watch them play- cutest thing ever. They chase, wrestle, and play keep away or tug-of-war with their toys. Other then a few small items here & there (flip-flops or toys that were left out on the floor), they have not chewed up anything in the house despite never being crated. They have been boarded and have stayed in hotels alone ( Kimpton!) without issue. It makes me feel good to know they don't just sit by the door & wait for me when I'm gone. But no mistake- I still get the "OMG!! YOU"RE HOME!! YAYYYY!!" welcome when I return.

In the past I owned a cat that would tip over & dig up all my house plants any time I was away overnight. He was alone all day & was fine, but he got bored (or stressed?) if I was gone any longer. I got a kitten to keep him company, and it never happened again. Instantly stopped the behavior. So I am definitely a firm believer in the need animals have for companionship. As to the end-of-life issues, I had two non-related cats obtained at different times who died weeks apart at ages 16 & 17. No doubt in my mind the second went downhill because of the loss of the first. I don't know how you could ever avoid this issue without limiting yourself to one pet at a time. It's just part of owning pets.

If there are any real down sides to having two pups, in my experience it has only been for those things that are difficult with danes anyway, like costs & size/control/safety issues. If you have a dog that gets excited on a walk and wants to chase a squirrel, it is double trouble trying to hang on to two. And I did end up with a broken pinkie finger one night when a neighbor startled the pups and they both took off at the same time. Lessons learned! But I consider these problems merely those associated with owning giant dogs, not specific to having siblings.

Maybe I just got lucky with my two, but based on my experience so far, I would feel comfortable adopting two together again. Maybe things will change over time, who knows? I'll keep everybody posted!
            ~Courtney~
            Nikko & Ridley's mom

Comment

Sometimes it does work out....but keep in mind, your dogs are still puppies really. Often the issues tend to show later in age.

I had two sister saints growing up and they were awesome. They did start fighting when they were older though, like 7-8

Comment

Working...
              X