Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **** GRAPHIC CONTENT - New here- desperately seeking advice

Hello,
    I need help with a difficult dane. We bought him from someone who didn't want him anymore once he "got big"... I was trying to rescue a dog and had no idea that 3 months of hard work later, he would still be such a huge challenge.

Abe is a beautiful, goofy 11 month old blue dane who is hyper & destructive. He lives inside only but gets daily walks and free time on a run. He jumps our couches like hurdles and knocks things over, then runs from me. He regularly rips the cushions we have to pad his crate and his expensive dog beds. He chews up and often eats anything he can swipe from the counters and can tear something up in the blink of the eye, even while on a leash pretending to be a good boy! He has had a basic obedience course. It made a huge difference but he is still very difficult. I eventually want the stereotypical dane who is laid back and curls up on the sofa!

He will not house train AT ALL or even crate train. I never wanted to keep him in his crate unless I was away from home but if I take my eyes off him for 2 minutes he will squat on the carpet. SO gross! He is on a very consistent schedule for being taken outside. He seems to have no ability to control his pee impulse! I've had a lot of practice house training and have a 2 year old pug who still has "accidents-" I know no dog is perfect but this is beyond anything I've ever seen. I really don't want him to be an "outside" dog either, I like my babies inside with me!

He also has a chronic tail tip split from wagging so hard and his ear bleeds from shaking enthusiastically. These both spray blood all over our home anytime they are knocked on something. It's impossible to keep them wrapped. I am a nurse on a surgical unit, my husband an ER nurse and we know all the tricks about wrapping wounds- but this spaz can get a bandage off in 10 seconds flat, even around e-collars and he does often eat the bandages too. He receives regular vet care to no avail, our vet is even scratching his head at this point and I am at the end of my rope.

I'm not sure what's worse- the behavioral problems or the blood spatter everywhere! I'm committed to making this work. Our friends and family are beginning to think we have lost it for putting up with it all. I just need some hope! If things do not improve we will simply HAVE to find him a different home to preserve our sanity! That will absolutely break my heart- I love this goofy guy! Help please!!!

Thanks in advance for any help and have a blessed day.
    Liz
    Last edited by admin; 02-11-2011, 09:15 PM.

oh wow, liz! having never raised a dane pup myself, i can't be of any help to you but there are SO many others here who have gone through every stage, good AND bad and will be here to guide you. i'll be watching for replies. this breed is near and dear to every person here and we ALL want you to succeed!!!!! in the meantime, welcome to DOL and have faith...you will get lots of great answers soon!
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Wow....Sorry I can't help you more but I would suggest continuing his training. It sounds like Abe (who, keep in mind is in his teenage phase, which can the WORST) just needs a firm structure to his daily routine. I think intermediate and advanced training classes would really help him. Especially since you said the obediance class DID help out some.

I'm sure other people will chime in, don't forget to post some pictures of Abe. We'd love to see him, craziness and all Good luck!
      sigpic

*bethany*
      Nova - 3 yr old Great Dane
      Pepper - 9 yr old Chihuahua
      Mable - 4 yr old Great Dane Rescue

Comment

oh dear!
        Sounds as though you are nearing the End of Your Rope....
        I'm sorry.. hope this rascal shapes up soon.
        Please don't give up, he will eventually calm down.
        sending good behavior MOJO to mr abe!
        sigpic

Comment

I would find a trainer that has behavior training experiance. My boys have been in classes since day one. I am forunate to own a pet store that does dog training. But our trainer does obedince but also behavior. I wish you the best of luck.
          sigpic
          Beacon 5-7-13
          Brockway 8-20-15
          Dually RIP 4-15-09 to 4-16-13
          Diesel RIP 3-19-06 to 7-3-11
          www.greatdogdesigns.etsy.com for a massive selection of collars perfect for our giant babies

Comment

Regular walks & time on a run aren't enough exercise for a young energetic dog..he needs more..he needs paly time, he needs things to keep him busy, he needs mental stimulation...a tired dog is a good dog.
            If he eats cushions in his crate then don't put them in ..it will not only prevent a mess but will also prevent him from having an emergency surgery.
            Housetraining..you take him out regularly but how often? Do you take him out or simply put him out? How do you act when he has an accident?
            You need to go back to housetraining 101 just like he was a small puppy..take him out after eating,after play, after naps..take him out every hour and gradually increase time..the word is TAKE him out not put him out..stay out until he goes and then praise, praise, praise..make it a party. If he doesn't go after a reasonable time bring him in put him in a crate or confined area wait for 15 - 20 minutes and take him out. When he has an accident don't call his attention to it at all..simply clean it up.
            As far as his tail & have you tried surgical glue? This is often helpful. Bandaging these areas rarely works.
            Take him back to obedience classes...get into a fun class of some type like rally, agility... Practice NILIF (nothing in life is free)..make him work for/earn everything.. He has learned he can do as he pleases and he is taking full advantage...until he learns manners & learns you are the leader he needs to be completely supervised and when he can't he needs to be safely confined in an area. Training isn't just confined to class it has to continue at home..it must be consistant & persistant.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Have you tried keeping a leash on him in the home? As for house training use the piddle pads to soak up the accident and then take the pad outside to a spot where you want him to go (ours was in front of the window so we could see if she was going when we moved off the leash). If you catch him going say no and immediately take him outside to the pads. He is on a leash so he is easy to get outside! Becareful not to praise while he is going outside as it might distract him but as soon as he starts to move from the potty position go crazy! As for the tail could you see if you could use liquid sutures (super glue)? Other than that the only thing I can think of is to take stock in hydrogen peroxide. Keeping him on the leash inside though should calm him down and he is right be side you so less chance if getting into trouble. Good luck and let us know how it is going!
              Lesa mommy to Macey my first Dane and Skeester a beagle mix.

Comment

NOT an expert

But our Darby is a pain sometimes. I can't comment on the tail/ear issue but the energy is one thing I know through my dane and other dogs I have raised. Darby goes through energy spurts or spaz attacks and jumps on the couch, attacks her brother, just anything to be a brat. But I know when she does it, we haven't been able to get her energy out through excersize and walks and such. She gets bored basically. Anytime she starts to have a spaz attack I try to stop her dead in her tracks and give her something she enjoys first. A cookie, ice cube, kong with peanut butter. This diverts her attention to being bad. I think our key was finding something Darby liked more than spazzing out. It is exhausting to keep up with her but once they are out of that faze they are lazy bones I hear. For the house breaking, set a timer and take him out every 1/2 hour, then stretch to an hour. Make sure to use the same word every time when you go to the door. Does he have a lot of things/toys/bones to chew on? Replace what he likes to chew on everytime he chews on the bad. If he has a bed in his crate he chews... no more bed in crate. This is stuff that has just worked for us.

Comment

I agree 100% with Kahluadanes.......you boy is still just a pup and sounds like he never had any previous training before you, so you will have to start at the beginning as if he were just weeks old. He absolutely needs more exercise. Is there a safe, clean doggie daycare that is an option? Just a couple of times per week while you are at work could help alot! Also, the frequent, but short training sessions throughout the day will help give him mental stimulation which can be just as tiring for him.

And you can not leave him unsupervised either in the house or outside the house until he further trained. Again, go back to basics. He can be crate trained at this age, it will just take some time. Take the cushions out of the crate at this point. Remove items from your counter tops. Don't set him up for getting in trouble. Puppy proof your house. Get him a frozen, stuffed kong to keep him busy....you've got a job ahead of you but it will be worth it! That couch potato is in there somewhere, but your boy is still too young.

Please post pictures..would love to see him! Good luck!
                  sigpic
                  Hank 02/07/2010
                  Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

My dane is a rescue and extremely high energy. When she was Abe's age, I was walking her two hours a day, and playing three 20 minute fetch sessions a day, along with mini training sessions. He needs to be exercised, and you also need to work on training him to develop your relationship. Every single part of our day together involved training. I actually wore my treat pouch all day long. Now, she is just about two, and she is much calmer. She is still a dane freak of nature, but she is better then she was. I do think that she will always need more time and energy then the typical danes requires. If I slip on training, she starts trying to get out of control again.

She is our entertainment now. She loves her toys, and in 2.2 seconds flat, she can have every single one all over the living room floor. She runs like a crazy dane outside. She loves on us constantly, wants to be wherever I am, and is my heart dog. Give it time.

Unfortunately, I can not help with the house training. By the time I got her at 7 months, she was house trained by her foster mom. She had one accident with us the first week we had her, and none since.
                    Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                    Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                    RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

I would absolutely definitely 100% suggest getting a private in-home trainer.

it is WELL worth the money to have this weight off your shoulders.

Good luck and thank you for rescueing him despite all of the hardship

and yes - in addition to the misbehavior, a lot of it is his age, and with a lot of training and a little growing up, i'm sure you can have your curled up dane on the couch like you want!
                      Tracy Miller
                      sigpic
                      Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
                      Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
                      Dog Food Advisor

Comment

I am the mom of a year old dane, and 3 skin sons 18,17,16, plus a little one in training .

Unfortunately you have a teenaged boy on your hands, who obviously was raised poorly, leaving you to undo the damage. I am butt deep in teen-agers here, and it takes a vigilant approach to see them through this stage.

Is your boy neutered? Reich was a complete handfull right before he was fixed, and he has calmed down significantly since the surgery. Prior to surgery he was bullheaded, and we had to backtrack in training. testosterone really messes with their brains, lol.

I am NOT a dog trainer, and do not have the knowledge and insight that many DOL members have regarding the canine brain. I do, however, have experience and training in the psychology of the human adolescent. If I were in your shoes I would tether the pup to me at all times that I was home to increase his trust, and so that he was never out of sight (I have resorted to this method myself on more then one occasion). Provide outside potty opportunities every half hour, after meals, before crate time, just like puppy 101. NILF should be enforced, until he sees that his needs are met by you, after he has behaved properly. Be extremely clear in your expectation and reward, so he has definitive boundries and rules. Also, exercise!!! Find a toy he loves and during interactive play use commands to instill them deeply. I used a tuggy toy and during playtime taught 'come around', heel/follow, stop, gentle/no bite.

All these suggestions have already been made, and you have gotten stellar advice in the above posts. Be patient if you can, I understand your frustration. It is crummy to end up with the result of someone elses carelessness and stupidity. The one thing I believe after having a rescue dog in my past, and a rescue adopted son in my present, is... once you bond and establish a relationship with your new dog, and his behavior settles and hopefully falls into place, it will be rewarding beyond what you can imagine. Obviously he was meant to find his way to you, and you care enough to come here seeking help. Please give him a chance through some structured learning... you are an angel to work with him.

Looking forward to positive updates, and feel free to pick the collective DOL brain when you are feeling frustrated... there is always someone who can support you, and others who have great advice.

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
                        ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
                        <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

You have gotten some great advice already.
                          How long is he being left alone?
                          I agree about the surg. glue for his tail...it does wonders when used in the right situation. You can order it here. I would also recommend getting the adhesive remover wipes, as it can be a pain to clean off.

I would sign him up for another obedience course and get into a routine. I have an active girl myself and I can tell you a good routine works wonders. It doesn't have to so strict that your life has to change drastically, but just enough so Abe knows what to expect each day. You have to keep in min d he has been tossed around like a hot potato and has probably never had structure or training.

As for his potty training, do as other suggested and go back to basics. Learn his schedule and set him up for success. Take him out on lead every single time, and praise him until the neighbors think you are nuts...Make sure he knows you are happy when he goes outside!

Get a ball and a ball thrower. Fling that ball as far and wide as you can and repeat. Repeat until your arm hurts or he is tired from fetching..he sounds like he'd be a good fetcher.

Get some kongs for in the house and fill them with peanut butter and freeze them. Get an everlasting fun ball and stuff it with treats. I also like the hollee roller. I put these giant Old Mother Hubbard peanut butter biscuits in them, and it takes her a good 15 minutes to get them out.

With the right training, you have the type of dog that can do AWESOME things. I LOVE high energy danes...they can be so much fun when trained properly.

Lastly...don't give up. I hesitated to even respond when I read your comment about having to give him up if he doesn't get better. often times, people wait just a little too long to get help, and already have the dog half way out the door. in that mindset you will not succeed. Giving him up can NOT be an option.

If you feel frustrated, he will feel it and it will show in his behavior. If I am having an off day, you can guarantee it shoes in my handling at class.
                          If you have had enough, take a break. Take a hot shower, escape to a coffee house with a good book(maybe a training book, see this thread here for some good ones). Whatever you do, do not let it transfer to your dog.
                          He is your dog now. You took him in and now you are responsible for him.
                          I wish you the best of luck and if you ever need to vent, don't be a stranger. There are lots of people here with hundreds of years, combined experience and they graciously give up their time, hour after hour trying to help. All you have to do is commit to it and actually follow it.
                          And if he is not already neutered, schedule it for yesterday.

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
                          Milly-Harl GD,
                          Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
                          www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Comment

My first question was, Is he neutered? If not, I would get him neutered ASAP. My 2nd question is, Have you checked a urine sample to rule out a bladder infection? If not, I would also do that ASAP. Like others mentioned, he is in the teenage stage. With lots of excercise & training he should come around & become the lazy dane you dream about. Good luck & would love to see pics of your boy!
                            sigpic Brenda
                            RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                            Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

I was just going to write what Gibson'sMom wrote! If he's not neutered, get it done. He's in the worst teenage stage, he will outgrow it, but you NEED to be persistent with training, one class isn't enough.
                              sigpic
                              -Sara-
                              -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

Working...
                              X