Behaviorists... Hrmm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behaviorists... Hrmm

Does anyone know what schooling is required to become a behaviorist?
    Undergrad & Grad school? Just 4 years? what type of track is it: psych, veterinary, sociology, etc?

I had planned on going to full on Vet med school... but while the GI bill would cover grad school.. I would need to find grants/scholarships for Disabled Veterans to complete my undergrad. I still would like to make a career change into something dog/animal related... and looking for info if anyone has it.
    - Chris
    "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
    sigpic

Veterinary Behaviorists are DVM's - as in they went to vet school and then some

There are also undergraduate degrees in animal behavior offered at different colleges/universities with a decent animal science program, but I don't know of one that is specific to domestic dogs.
    There is ABC (animal behavior college in CA) but I hear that that program is only as good as your mentor trainer. I don't know much about it honestly, just that the trainer I'm currently working with is a mentor trainer for them.

The Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) has an info page on becoming a dog trainer here:
    http://www.apdt.com/trainers/career/default.aspx

But basically, anyone can put a sign up on a building and call themselves whatever they want. The profession of dog training is largely unregulated. (Which is why it is so important for owners to educate themselves and know what questions to ask.) There are different associations where you can get accredited or become a member. Some require actual work and/or proof of your abilities, others you just sent in your check and get their stamp of approval. Again, why owners should actually check in to accreditations and references.

Personally I think your best bet is to find an awesome trainer, take some classes from him/her and then look to see if you can mentor under them. You really need a lot of hands-on experience with dogs who are not in your own household IMO. Volunteer work at shelters and rescues is also another great way of getting some more hands-on experience.
    At the same time, save up and go to as many lectures and seminars as you can, and read everything you can get your hands on.
    Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
    - Anatole France

Comment

Outstanding response ouesi!

I had a feeling the training profession was broadly unregulated as you said. Its ben a while, but I used to do a bit of volunteer work at the local rescues... mostly feeding, cleaning, and spreadsheet work (I know... odd/random, but I have a knack for spreadsheets and a certified Excel Master)..

Since its a field that doesn't have a well structured ciriculuum, I may just try to get into it as a hobby until I can seek out more info.

Also, were you referring to the animal science center at UC Davis in California? I've heard they have one of the most comprehensive animal sciences/veterinary medicine departments in the world.

oh, and thank you again.
      - Chris
      "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
      sigpic

Comment

Can't help you with any of your answers. But it is the first i have heard you suggest you are a disabled veteran. Thank you to you and others disabled or not for your service to our country.

Comment

I seem to have a similar story.. I wanted to go to Vet school - and I got into an undergrad pre-vet program, but I let my fear of failure (and hatred of chemistry) get the better of me, and switched the a degree in economics.
          I'm kicking myself for it now, and have been considering going back to school, but it would take 2 full years of prerequisites to even APPLY for vet school.. then another 4 of intense work.. I'm just not sure I'm cut out for it, but I want it so bad I can't stand it.

My husband has suggested that I find a hobby with a little less costly entry.. we talked about forming a rescue organization, or a fundraising organization that benefits dogs with DCM (important to us because our Dane has it)
          One idea I had that I really liked was creating a "puppy boot camp" where owners and their puppy would come for the first week of puppy ownership to help them get started on the right foot... learn about diet, do's and don't of excersize, and have the dogs potty trained in a controlled environment. it may be totally unrealistic - but thought sharing it might give you some ideas at least.
          Tracy Miller
          sigpic
          Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
          Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
          Dog Food Advisor

Comment

I think anyone can call themselves a behaviorist. What makes a good one in my humble opinion is someone who has an excellent grasp of human psychology, and has done some formal research in animal behavior. There is a community college in California Moorpark Community college) that offers a program in animal behavior, I think. I don't know if there are others like it around the country. You might check it out. Grads from this program have some really spectacular jobs.

Andi
            Last edited by andipanda 1; 11-07-2010, 11:13 AM. Reason: mis spelling of Moorpark.

Comment

Good info all around!

I may just complete my undergrad while doing the Aviation Aircraft engineering thing (helicopter engineer) for a couple more years... paying as I go... then once im done, I can do the grad school on the GI bill. I'd like to do the DVM thing with an added emphasis and/or extra classes on nutrition
              - Chris
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Walnuts View Post
                for a couple more years... paying as I go...
                I would need to find grants/scholarships for Disabled Veterans to complete my undergrad.
                Have you looked into financial aid? Money should never be the reason someone doesn't go (back) to school.
                Cooper at 4 months
                sigpic

Comment

Good info all around!

I may just complete my undergrad while doing the Aviation Aircraft engineering thing (helicopter engineer) for a couple more years... paying as I go... then once im done, I can do the grad school on the GI bill. I'd like to do the DVM thing with an added emphasis and/or extra classes on nutrition
                  ok.. i am confused .. why is the GI bill not paying for undergrad? From my understanding they recently made the GI bill even better than it was previously.. I am not directly involved though, so I am not up on all the nuances.. but I was under the impression that they pay for grad school 100% plus money for housing expenses?
                  sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

Comment

Originally posted by isa aldawolfa View Post
                    ok.. i am confused .. why is the GI bill not paying for undergrad? From my understanding they recently made the GI bill even better than it was previously.. I am not directly involved though, so I am not up on all the nuances.. but I was under the impression that they pay for grad school 100% plus money for housing expenses?
                    They pay 4 years (books, classes, tuition) 100% plus housing allowance. There is a cap... Annual cap is equal to the annual cost of the most expensive PUBLIC school in that state.

While they DO payy 100%, since they only pay for 4 years I would want them to pay for the more expensive grad school... and ME pay for the less expensive undergrad out of pocket. Im sure they would pay for undergrad... but then I would be stuck with the ridiculous Veterinary graduate med school bill
                    - Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

Never knew you could have that option.
                      Very cool - i would totally take advantage of that!!
                      Tracy Miller
                      sigpic
                      Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
                      Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
                      Dog Food Advisor

Comment

Yea, the old GI bill didn't have a housing allowance, had a $40,000 cap, would not cover graduate school, and didn't pay for books.

The newer post-9/11 bill pays much more... and provides a housing allowance at the 'E-5 with dependents' rate for your zip code.. regardless of rank.

I looked into a lot of financial aid options earlier this year... and there ARe options out there... but I backed out when I realized I couldn't fund the WHOLE thing... I would hate to get only 7 out of 8 years completed... MOSTLY or ALMOST a vet wont get you employed anywhere lol

It'd be like having a half a medical degree.
                        - Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

ahhh.. gotcha.. can you take a reg subsidized and unsubsidized loan as well as the GI bill. Those dont have to be paid on until you are out of school - at least undergrad..
                          sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

Comment

Yup... the other thing that was holding me back was that I was in a relationship with someone with a son... and I couldn't foresee myself supporting a family on a housing allowance and Army retirement for 6-8 years. lol

Im single now though, so I have nothin stopping me really I guess .
                            - Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

If I were you and it were my dream I would go for it. It sounds like you are in a perfect place in your life to begin this journey. You seem to really have a passion for this. I too waited to go back to school because of a relationship I was in. I finally finished my COTA in May by working full time and taking classes part-time. It took me 3 years instead of 2. I wish I had not waited until I was 28 to start. Now I have to begin looking at Masters programs. You will reach your dream job faster if you start now. I'm rooting for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X