I can't take the barking anymore!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't take the barking anymore!!!!

It's enough to drive me to drink! He barks at everything and it is getting worse. I don't know what happened because this is a new thing. I've tried teaching him "quiet" - he doesn't get it. I've tried distracting him and that works sometimes for a couple of seconds.

He barks at his reflection in windows, he barks at my other dog when he wants to play and she clearly doesn't, he barks at strange noises heard outside, people walking or parking out front, the vaccuum cleaner, etc.

HELP! I'm going mad! Tonight when I had had all I could take, I actually blew my airhorn - in the house - boy was it loud! It got his attention and he hasn't barked since but I don't want to resort to that every time.

Any ideas?
    Ronda
    Ronda, mom to:
    Wally (Great Dane) 14 mo.
    Bluebell (Cocker Spaniel) 10 years
    2 human boys
    and married to Larry

Not sure if this is much help.. but I had a GSD once with a MAJOR bark problem - I had no choice but to resort to a Tritronics bark collar....

He wore it for a week - Then I took it off and issue solved - When ever he decided to go back to barking I put a fake collar on him... worked like a charm..

Some one else may have a better - less drastic idea.

The way these work - The collar has two points and a sensor when the dog barks they get a correction (Electric Shock) It has three levels you can set it to...

I know the high level delivers quite a jolt - My dumb husband had the sucker in his hand and near his mouth when he yelled at one of the kids one time - His arm was numb for an hour.... Served him right - But after that we only used the lowest setting,
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kmoore24 View Post
      Not sure if this is much help.. but I had a GSD once with a MAJOR bark problem - I had no choice but to resort to a Tritronics bark collar....

He wore it for a week - Then I took it off and issue solved - When ever he decided to go back to barking I put a fake collar on him... worked like a charm..

Some one else may have a better - less drastic idea.

The way these work - The collar has two points and a sensor when the dog barks they get a correction (Electric Shock) It has three levels you can set it to...
      I totally agree! The only thing I would say differently is that Dogtra makes a rechargable unit that is waterproof as well. We have two bark collars and LOVE them. Dogtra model also has more levels to choose from.
      I always advise against the citronella collars as the "correction" lingers in their fur long after the offense.

Also, resisit the temptation to go to petsmart or walmart and pick up a cheap one. These collars are not consistent and will correct for things like head shaking or collar tags hitting the sensor. If the collar is to be effective, the dog needs to know exactly what the correction is for.

Try either ebay and search for dogtra or tritronics - often you can pick one up for $50 or so.

www.collarclinic.com you can get a good deal on a reconditioned collar there for a very fair price.
      sigpic

Comment

This is just based on personal experience, but all of the male Great Danes I have had (four of them) went through a stage of barking at any little sound. It occured at between 10-18 months. It lasted for a while for each of them , but they eventually "out grew" it.
        This may be a coincidence for me, but I would be interested if anyone else has had this experience.
        Hopefully he will "out grow" it as well.
        If there are no dogs in Heaven,then when I die I want to go where they went.

Comment

Originally posted by WeLoveOur7Dogs View Post
          I always advise against the citronella collars as the "correction" lingers in their fur long after the offense.

I have to agree with this and a dog could also be allergic to it, I had a citronella based bug spray, turns out my dog Angel loves citronella so she rolls in the stuff and it was not so good for her coat.
          If barking is annoying a shock collar would be the best way to stop him while having some control over when correction is given, but when you are away I believe there are plug in anti bark devices they use sound I have never tried one.
          Last edited by angeldane; 09-22-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I had a foster spend the night one time and he was a major barker. His foster mom said it drove her nuts and she wanted to be honest about it. I had a can with pennies in it that I threw everytime he barked. We had about four or five episodes of barking, then he realized that barking caused scary can to land near him and he stopped. Completely quiet the rest of the time he was with me, Desi just hated him so he couldn't stay.
            sigpic
            Lori, Desi & Grimm
            RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
            Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
            Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

April, that is an interesting concept you propose about it being a maturational phase. Reich just turned 9 months yesterday, and has rarely to never barked. He has boffed a few times, but even when we treat him to speak he only half heartedly makes sound. A week ago he started barking at everything. It started when I had him out in the middle of the night and he heard coyotes yelping and howling very close. He went into alert mode but remained soundless. When we returned to the house he barked and paced for a good hour. Now he is barking at everything! I was thinking it was a phase in his growth. Good to hear you witnessed it with your past males. I am ignoring it and not giving it any attention or creedence. He is winding down more and more each day.

You said you had experience with 4 males. Did neutering have any impact?
              Last edited by intensgrl; 09-22-2010, 09:50 PM.

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
              ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
              <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

I knew I could count on you guys to give me some great feedback! Thanks so much. I think I'm going to try one of the ultrasound things first before going to the collar but I'll keep that as plan B.

I'll let you know how it works.
                Ronda, mom to:
                2 human boys
                and married to Larry

Comment

I would also look at how stimulated he is - mentally and physically.

We're at the tail end of 2 weeks rest for Bates right now and my "Mr. Perfect" has tried just about every problem behavior in the book. From destroying 3 pairs of shoes in 24 hours to standing at the window barking at the "big nothing".

Its no joke that a tired dog is a good dog. This dog is used to (and needs) LOTS of exercise, and things to keep his mind engaged, and right now that particular need of his is NOT being met... And it shows!
                  Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                  - Anatole France

Comment

Originally posted by intensgrl View Post
                    April, that is an interesting concept you propose about it being a maturational phase. Reich just turned 9 months yesterday, and has rarely to never barked. He has boffed a few times, but even when we treat him to speak he only half heartedly makes sound. A week ago he started barking at everything. It started when I had him out in the middle of the night and he heard coyotes yelping and howling very close. He went into alert mode but remained soundless. When we returned to the house he barked and paced for a good hour. Now he is barking at everything! I was thinking it was a phase in his growth. Good to hear you witnessed it with your past males. I am ignoring it and not giving it any attention or creedence. He is winding down more and more each day.

You said you had experience with 4 males. Did neutering have any impact?
                    This behaviour lasted or presented beyond neuter, but I am of the opinion it is gender related. My females did not go through this. I just ignored it as well. I have hypothesized that they learned the sounds that stimulated them were of no consequence.
                    If there are no dogs in Heaven,then when I die I want to go where they went.

Comment

This is just based on personal experience, but all of the male Great Danes I have had (four of them) went through a stage of barking at any little sound. It occured at between 10-18 months.
                      My dane is definitely going through this phase.. He is 13 months old and wakes me up several times a night to bark at random little noises from in the living room.. Im really relieved to hear from that they grow out of it...

With regards to the excessive barking, i've heard that squirt bottles with water work really well for this problem...

Comment

Originally posted by daneauntie View Post
                        It's enough to drive me to drink! He barks at everything and it is getting worse. I don't know what happened because this is a new thing. I've tried teaching him "quiet" - he doesn't get it. I've tried distracting him and that works sometimes for a couple of seconds.

He barks at his reflection in windows, he barks at my other dog when he wants to play and she clearly doesn't, he barks at strange noises heard outside, people walking or parking out front, the vaccuum cleaner, etc.

HELP! I'm going mad! Tonight when I had had all I could take, I actually blew my airhorn - in the house - boy was it loud! It got his attention and he hasn't barked since but I don't want to resort to that every time.

Any ideas?
                        Ronda
                        Prior to blowing the airhorn, how were you trying to teach him 'quiet'?

MJ, Natey boy, Miss Teya and Cora

Comment

Update

[QUOTE=mj_kbs;606300]Prior to blowing the airhorn, how were you trying to teach him 'quiet'?

Yes and he wasn't getting it. But maybe I just wasn't patient enough because I'm pleased to say that we have continued trying to teach "quiet" and I think he IS finally getting it! The last 2 days I have given the quiet command after two barks and he has quieted down. Of course I praise him all over the place when he does it! Time will tell if it is coincidence or not.

I've never used the airhorn after that one time but I did show it to him once and he put his ears back like 'oh no, Mom, I'm sorry, please don't do that bad noise again'. I felt so mean! I put the airhorn away after that.

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. I was at the end of my rope but am feeling totally better about it now. There is some peace at our house again!
                          Ronda, mom to:
                          2 human boys
                          and married to Larry

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
                            I would also look at how stimulated he is - mentally and physically.

Its no joke that a tired dog is a good dog. This dog is used to (and needs) LOTS of exercise, and things to keep his mind engaged, and right now that particular need of his is NOT being met... And it shows!
                            I've never had a dog that enjoyed the mental stimulation as much as danes do. It's wonderful and challenging at the same time. I've gotten a couple of toys for him that keep him challenged and he loves them!

Great point about a tired dog being a good dog, Ouesi! Thanks! I'm trying to keep that in mind.
                            Ronda, mom to:
                            2 human boys
                            and married to Larry

Comment

glad to hear things are improving! i have carried on the same training i did with my two corgis (we used to call maggie "ma barker"). when the danes are barking unnecessarily, i holler "false alarm!!!" and as soon as they quiet down, i tell them "thank you" and pop a cookie in their mouths. the cookies are no longer required. just a "false alarm!!!" does the trick and after "thank you", they retire to their respective beds to carry on the nap that was interrupted because a leaf blew across the driveway.
                              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X