Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good lord! I have said come like 20 times and Hudson just ignores me. However, when on the lead, if he doesn't respond and I give one simple tug; then he comes. In the house I have been using "treats" (just his dog food - shhh don't tell him lol) and it is working better. I think I need to learn to be more patient and continue training myself lol I like the idea of meal time being a training session. Gonna try it this week! THANKS

Comment

I read somewhere that "recall" should be based on their name. How does anyone feel about that??

Us.. we say.. "to me"... and it's nowhere near where it needs to be.. he won't leave my side for me to call him back if he knows I have treats.
      Be the change you want to see in the world!

Odin's Adventures

Comment

We use her name for attention, then give a command when she looks over. When we practice recall we let her out in the yard for at least few minutes (without treats in our pocket), then go back and get something high value (usually chicken or cheese). Then we say "Come!" in the happiest voice and treat. Sometimes send her back out to play, sometimes she comes inside.

Comment

We don't even have a word command for recall it's a whistle. Whippoorwill call to be exact. It's the only thing I can whistle. Works pretty fast too, only time I have trouble with the hearing part of the herd is when Gus is stuck in one of his compulsive moments and can't break out of it.
          Most of the dogs that have come through here learn it pretty fast because it's so different from the rest of the commands here and it precedes them being brought back in for meals.
          Slave to 4 bassets (Curie, Ada, Gus, Kelvin), 1 dane (Lisi), 7 cats (Ashe, Sumi, Timothy, Jefferson, Winken, Nod, Onyx) and have lost count of how many chicks and chickens I have at the moment. I still have more in the incubator

Comment

FWIW we are keeping little containers of treats all over the house so that when we call our puppy from another room we have a treat to give her.

She now thinks that if we yell to one another across the house she should stop what she's doing and come. We don't treat for this naturally but I do like that she is that eager to respond. Id rather have her come anytime we speak than the other way around for sure.

Comment

I have always used this technique to no avail. My guy would think before he acts and decide whether or not he would give in.

Now I am using a trainer and her "tried and true" method is much the same with the exception that they get "jack pot" reward. 4 to 7 treats. I love the idea and it is working really well. The idea is to offer 4 to 7 treats they love each time you practice it. So they never stop to think whether or not to obey. They just know you're going to inundate them with treats and that is always more enticing than whatever they're after.

She calls it her "perfect recall" and to date it is. I love it immensely.
              Last edited by supermomgonelazy; 07-21-2014, 12:36 AM.
              Mumma to two dd's, 15 and 13, and my 3 year old Duke.
              sigpic

Comment

Will try some of these tips to get some better control of my dear danes thanks

Comment

Distracted

I've had problems with danes in the past no returning when called if there is a distraction present. Does anyone have any ways around this issue? In the heat of the moment it seems treats don't do the trick no matter how many times we practice. Maybe I need to work on my own leadership skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Louie Vuitton View Post
                    I've had problems with danes in the past no returning when called if there is a distraction present. Does anyone have any ways around this issue? In the heat of the moment it seems treats don't do the trick no matter how many times we practice. Maybe I need to work on my own leadership skills.
                    They need training on doing the recall when distractions are present.. No off leash until it has been earned. Use a long line and reel them in when you call.. Always practice in confined areas.. Never give a command that you can't enforce.. Getting the help of a good trainer to work with you and your dog in a group setting around lots of distractions is well worth it.
                    sigpic
                    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                    Associate Member GDCNE
                    Member GSPCA
                    Member NAVHDA
                    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

This, when training recall: Never give a command that you can't enforce

That means on a long line with literally hundreds of rewarded recalls, even if you have to reel them in, and doing it in many different environments with many different distractions.

What I've done that is VERY successful is to take the dog in a securely fenced but larger area, have them off-leash, then call their name (not the come command) just get their attention, eye contact, then...hide. Move out of sight behind a tree, drop down in the grass, around a corner, and stay there. Every single one of my dogs have come screaming back to me to see where I went--then I reward with happy praise and maybe high value meaty food reward, and let them go back to free range exploring.
                      Tracy
                      sigpic
                      Mouse April 2010
                      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                      X