Begger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Begger

Is your GD a begger? Mine is, omg!! It's soooo annoying!! That's my biggest pet peeve when it comes to dogs. I know it's kinda natural, but damn!
    Allie the Great Dane~5.5.10

No, my dogs are not allowed to beg. They were all taught from when they were itty, bitty puppies that they were not allowed to beg.

If she is doing it while you are eating dinner I would crate her so she associates your dinner time with her rest time. Or feed her her dinner at the same time. That will distract her from wanting your food.
    ~Amy~

Comment

Originally posted by AshieLu View Post
      No, my dogs are not allowed to beg. They were all taught from when they were itty, bitty puppies that they were not allowed to beg.

If she is doing it while you are eating dinner I would crate her so she associates your dinner time with her rest time. Or feed her her dinner at the same time. That will distract her from wanting your food.
      That's just it, since day 1 I've always told her no begging...

I'll hafta try crating her at meal time.
      Allie the Great Dane~5.5.10

Comment

Yes, but a well behaved beggar lol.. I love to give her small bits of whatever I have though if it's okay for her (bad me, lol)

She knows she only gets something if she is LAYING quietly, though. For a bit of pizza crust she will not move for 3 days I am almost sure! I don't mind her laying near us.. if we have company I make her chill in the hallway, and even if we don't sometimes just to get used to us telling her not to cross the threshold. She's pretty darn good about it. Of course she gets the payoff, lol.

I would work on down stays with something that is super yummy at first if I were you. Mine doesn't always get something but she knows she is not allowed to be whiney or in our faces when we're eating, just used to it now!
        sigpic

Comment

We taught Tristan to lie on his bed while anyone is eating.

Dunno if this is the best method or whatnot, but what we did was -- put him on his bed in a down when we sat down to eat. At first we tossed him a bite of something to eat fairly frequently, so long as he remained on his bed. Over time, we slowly increased how long we went in between tossing him something to eat. Now he only gets something at the very end of our meal, when everyone is done eating.

As soon as the fridge opens / someone starts cooking / someone sits at the table with food he books it to his bed and plops down, now. Just taught him a "new" way to "beg", I suppose, that we don't find rude / annoying.
          - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
          sigpic

Comment

at the moment we are working on "manners" and she is picking it up. She gets to close for comfort while eating I tell her "where's your manners?" and she backs up a few steps and sits down. It's actually kinda cute. But if pizza is involved the whole world will come crashing down if she doesn't watch you eat each and every bite!
            sigpic
            My Crew
            The Danes:
            Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
            The Cats:
            Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
            At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
            ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

Working...
            X