Car Safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Safety

I did a search for this but didn't find anything...any help or links if previously discussed would be appreciated!

How does one keep their dog laying down in the far back of their SUV/van/station wagon? Lily will lay down when I tell her when we first get in, but then she's up and down like crazy sometimes for the rest of the ride. When I tell her to lay down again mid-ride she ignores me completely. It's not safe for her or anyone else in the car, but short of stopping every time and making her lay dowen again is there any other suggestions out there?

A barrier is not an option as I need access to the 3rd row seating and taking a barrier in and out all of the time would kinda suck. Besides I think I should be able to train her to comply right? I'm just feeling kinda braindead as to how to go about doing it! Thanks.

They have doggie seat belts. Xim has one, but we haven't used it yet cuz it is still just a tad to big for her. It is a harness-like thing and from what I read works great.
    sigpic
    My Crew
    The Danes:
    Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
    The Cats:
    Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
    At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
    ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

Yes, seat belt is what we use as well. We have a Honda Element and didn't want an inconvenient (for us) barrier either. This is the seat belt system that Deuce has

http://usak9outfitters.com/SVSS.htm

Much more sturdy and solid than anything I've seen in the stores.
      Tamara and Deuce
      sigpic

Comment

Hmm...I never knew they could be used in the back, I'll have to check those out thanks. It seems that would solve part of my problem, but not the standing up part.

Comment

Thank goodness with the Element we don't have a problem with him standing as we are sitting high enough that we can still see out the rear view mirror and window with no problem. Deuce will not lay down unless he knows we are on the highway. He doesn't like sitting down either. I've sat in the back beside him when we are driving and noticed that he seems to be able to balance himself better for turns, accelerating and braking when he is standing. He seems to feel more secure. I know when we had our mini poodle, she refused to sit or lay down too and insisted on standing on the passenger seat (she was also seat belted in)
          Tamara and Deuce
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X