This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! Any other advice?

Ok, I didn't know I will stop. I saw a video that suggested it, something new. I have all sizes of crates. I have been using a medium size in the bedroom. And the small one for day used in the living area.

Comment

Mores questions, help

What should I do with my dane during the day, I can take her out at
      5am
      7am
      11:50am
      1:50pm
      2:30pm
      3:30pm after this every hour on the hour
      In addition, after play time. Naps, and meals!
      Oh one last time, can I walk my dane after a meal? Light walk no running or playing.. Just a simple walk because we walk our dogs 4 times a day everyday for 20 mins a walk. I have 4 teens in the house who to take them out.

Comment

Where can you get the bells?
        sigpic

Bear - 4 year old Border Collie
        Brady - 1 year old Mastiff Mix
        Cody (CGC) - Doberman Pinscher - RIP my sweet baby ... Oct 1, 2007 - March 24, 2014

Comment

I found some at a locally owned pet store, but I think they have them at chain pet stores. Or you could look online. I bought some really cute ones, but Finn hits them so hard he knocked half the bells off. I replaced them with a leather strip with jingle bells on it from the Christmas decoration section at Meijer...much more sturdy and the bells sound like really good quality sleigh bellas
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by Tal View Post
            Where can you get the bells?
            I bought mine at a craft store and strung them on a ribbon.
            sigpic
            Fergus
            SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
            Eisen Shark
            C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Winter house training

Would you have any tips on winter house training? Normally I'd put a coat and boots on my pup, but it's kind of impossible mid-pee, when picking him up...

He refuses to stay out because it's too cold, and I get it, believe me! He looks at me like " why, mom, why are you putting me down in the cold white desert?"
              Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Summertime is soooo much easier!
              Thanks!

Comment

I shoveled a little patch right by the doors we use, and then raked some pine needles from under the deck to spread out on the shoveled area. Granted, we had maybe 8 inches and it didn't last more than a couple of weeks, but it worked for us.
                sigpic
                Beth, with...
                Daisy the Chihuahua mix
                Ranger the Heeler mix
                Sarge the Great Dane
                Bravo the Mastiff mix

And two cats, two ferrets, one husband, and four kids.

Comment

I brought Eli home at 8 weeks right after last years huge storm and the whole yard was like 4 feet of snow. I shoveled him out a path and then make a huge circular hole in the snow at the end of it and we put woodchips down (the kind for small mammal pets, got them in a huge bag like hay bale sized). Then he didnt mind walking on the snow because of the woodchips and after he went I just picked up the chips he went on and added more.

It was a huge pain and it killed all the grass under it (I'm assuming the acidity of the chips and the alkaline of the urine was just too much). But he got potty trained!
                  sigpic

Comment

I had a question about using the bells. I have an 18 month old toddler that I worry will play with the bells at the back door thus confusing our puppy. Should I not use them because of that and just hope he eventually will run to the back door/bark at the back door?

Housebreaking has been going great with our now 10 week old. For the last 2 weeks he averages about 1 accident per day, all but 2 of those were stopped mid-pee and he was brought out. The accidents I am guessing have to do with him being so young still and not being able to hold it great. I take him out every 15 - 20 minutes when he is active, after meals, after being in crate and naps. Maybe 3 or 4 times ever has he run to the back door though to let me know he has to go and those were for pooping. That's why I thought using the bells would teach him how to let me know. Just worry about toddler playing with the bells, too. The accidents he has usually have no signals as well. No sniffing, circling. He just goes suddenly and sometimes it is 10 minutes after I just let him out. Again guessing that is because he is under 12 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltaire View Post
                      Would you have any tips on winter house training? Normally I'd put a coat and boots on my pup, but it's kind of impossible mid-pee, when picking him up...

He refuses to stay out because it's too cold, and I get it, believe me! He looks at me like " why, mom, why are you putting me down in the cold white desert?"
                      Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Summertime is soooo much easier!
                      Thanks!
                      Saw something on Facebook recently that might work for areas that don't get a ton of snow (and also requires planning ahead). Put down a tarp when it starts snowing, then when it's done, roll the tarp back to expose the snow free area underneath.
                      sigpic
                      Chaucey
                      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by olamina View Post
                        I had a question about using the bells. I have an 18 month old toddler that I worry will play with the bells at the back door thus confusing our puppy. Should I not use them because of that and just hope he eventually will run to the back door/bark at the back door?

Housebreaking has been going great with our now 10 week old. For the last 2 weeks he averages about 1 accident per day, all but 2 of those were stopped mid-pee and he was brought out. The accidents I am guessing have to do with him being so young still and not being able to hold it great. I take him out every 15 - 20 minutes when he is active, after meals, after being in crate and naps. Maybe 3 or 4 times ever has he run to the back door though to let me know he has to go and those were for pooping. That's why I thought using the bells would teach him how to let me know. Just worry about toddler playing with the bells, too. The accidents he has usually have no signals as well. No sniffing, circling. He just goes suddenly and sometimes it is 10 minutes after I just let him out. Again guessing that is because he is under 12 weeks.
                        I have an almost 4 and an almost 2 year old humans and my dane is 6 months old and the kids have gotten more use out of that bell than my dane has. he basically just looks at me then looks at the door then back at me or gives me a warning squirt which i hope he grows out of eventually
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VanessaS View Post
                          I have an almost 4 and an almost 2 year old humans and my dane is 6 months old and the kids have gotten more use out of that bell than my dane has. he basically just looks at me then looks at the door then back at me or gives me a warning squirt which i hope he grows out of eventually
                          lol yeah that's what I am thinking will happen on my end. We should talk because my other son just turned 5, my 3 little boys keep me busy and sounds like you can relate! I have 3 daughters (13,11, & 9) that do great with the puppy and are helping with his training which is nice. I am amazed how gentle the puppy is with my toddler. But he goes crazy with my 5 year old (he is really loud) so we are working on not getting pup so riled up. It is getting better.

Comment

I also have a 14 year old son and it has definitely been my experience the past few months that our dane responds to us, if we are calm (or mostly) then he will be but if were up making noise and horse playing then he wants to get rowdy too
                            sigpic

Comment

We are having a time with our 4 month old and potty training. He came to us using pee pads. We have a doggie door that he uses wonderfully...he has not put two & two together. He goes all weekend with no accidents, but during the work week he goes everywhere. We are in the rainy season right now and he HATES damp grass. I have started putting the pee pads back down during the day so at least it is somewhat contained to an area. No, we do not crate. He and my 12 yr old dog have free range of the kitchen, living room and a large fenced in back yard. Any advice? I'm tired of mopping daily!

Comment

1 step forward....

So today I learned that 45 mins was too long a time between bathroom breaks. Then I learned than 35 was also too long. Both my fault as I missed his cues, but frig.. I can't wait for this stage to be over.

Comment

Working...
                                X