This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walkerboy View Post
    We are about to have a 8 week old Dane... is it ok to put a puppy pad in the crate with him during the day while no one is home?
    I honestly wouldnt. I have tried that with puppies in the past and they would just shred them. Plus you want to make sure your puppy knows that is not a place to potty. I would suggest (since the puppy is going to grow very rapidly and you dont want to spend a ton on different size crates) to buy the larger crate and use the divider for it. Give the puppy enough room to stand up, stretch legs, turn around and lay down comfortably...if the puppy has enough room to walk around the entire cage then chances are it will choose a corner and use that as its potty area.
    sigpic
    --Stephanie
    -Kylee: Great Dane (5 months)
    -Aubrey: German Shepherd x (2 years)
    -Haileigh: Yellow Lab x (4.5 years)
    -Ace: Black Lab x (8.5 years)
    (brown pit(Cooper)was a foster & 2 cats Nala & Sadie)

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
      I can't link from my phone but look up the books Before You GetvYour Puppy and After You Get Your Puppy by dr Ian Dunbar. Both are usually available as free PDFs.
      Before You Get Your Puppy- http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/do...Your_Puppy.pdf

and After - http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/do...Your_Puppy.pdf

You need to sign up for an account to read the after book but it is free and the website seems to have a lot of good training information.
      Jessica, mom to Diesel
      sigpic

Comment

help

hey guys i will try to make this short. i have a 3 1/2 month old baby boy and we currently dont have a kennel. he sleeps on a dog bed at the side of our bed and he is put in the bathroom with blankets and a bone when we are at work. he does really well during the day going to the door when he has to go but over the last week he has been slacking he will sometimes just completely randomly pee right where he is standing. last night he was sleeping on the couch and woke up and just peed right where he was sleeping on the couch!!!!! and even worse last night he peed on his dog bed and then laid down to go to sleep in the pee!everytime we take him outside he goes pee and he hardly ever has a #2 accident inside but i cant figure out what i am doing wrong with #1 he seems to be having more accidents now then he did when he was younger!!!! we dont use a kennel because 1 we dont have one and 2 we didnt want to have him kenneled all night and then again all day while we were at work for 8 hours. the bathroom he is in is very small and i wouldnt think it would be much bigger than any kennel we would buy?? help

Comment

Originally posted by stephaniej2888 View Post
          I honestly wouldnt. I have tried that with puppies in the past and they would just shred them. Plus you want to make sure your puppy knows that is not a place to potty. I would suggest (since the puppy is going to grow very rapidly and you dont want to spend a ton on different size crates) to buy the larger crate and use the divider for it. Give the puppy enough room to stand up, stretch legs, turn around and lay down comfortably...if the puppy has enough room to walk around the entire cage then chances are it will choose a corner and use that as its potty area.
          Don't buy a "larger crate". Buy the largest! (Giant Dog/XXL)

Comment

We feel lucky with our little guy.

He slept in our bed the first 2 nights and made sure to squirm just enough to wake us up to take him out. After that he went into his crate for bedtime and almost lasted through the night. Over the next week he started sleeping throughout the night.

During the day when we're home we know his potty signs. For the most part if we're on the first floor he'll go to the back door and sit which means he needs to go out. When we're not on the first floor and we see him sniffing around a lot that means he needs to go #2. We know to take him out before visitors come and right after hes done playing (and even sometimes in the middle). We know at this moment (hes just under 3 months) that he can last about 5 hours in his crate.

Needless to say he has had a few accidents (both kinds) in the house, but we blame ourselves for being lazy and not seeing his signs. As long as you get to know your dog and stay on top of your game then you should be fine. Always have a gallon of Natures Miracle and rags around for the accidents.

We're so proud of our Rudder. He's just under 3 months and already knows sit, shake and laydown. He's a smart fella!
            sigpic

Comment

any advice on crate training in an apartment? my boy is now 3 1/2 months old and really is not fond of being in the crate in the next room, not toe room when were even sitting in the living iron with him in there. As you know being in an apartment is limiting as far as how much you can let them cry if at all, and he screams all night when he's in the crate. we've moved to him being on his own bed at the foot of our bed, but this all poses an issue when we try to go out and he won't be happy and quiet in his kennel. any helpful tips?!....we want him to like the crate, we feed him in it, we've done intervals of time to get him used to it, we've tried blankets over the crate...he just doesn't like it. I don't know what else to do to help him enjoy the crate more or understand that he goes in there when we need our own time or when we have to go somewhere for a little bit, and he needs to relax and be quiet while we're gone.

Comment

How did you handle potty training through the night?? Did u set an alarm every 2-3 hours to wake up and take the puppy out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by babe View Post
                  How did you handle potty training through the night?? Did u set an alarm every 2-3 hours to wake up and take the puppy out?

Apollo sleeps with me, and wakes me up by nibbling on me or licking me when he needs to go out.

There have been times where I've been shocked as that he held it because he pees so long and poos so much when I take him out.. Like this morning. I could have probably counted about 30 seconds of steady stream and filled 2 bags of .. I was kind of stunned.. Considering I took him out at 10 right before bed, and took him out at 7 this morning.. Haha
                  -- Katelyn

sigpic
                  Apollo

Comment

I put a bell on Titan, at night. When I hear the bell he was up and usually puppies get up when they need to potty or are hungry.

Excuse typos!!!
                    sigpic
                    Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
                    Titan - GD
                    Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
                    Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
                    Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

Bell Training?

Our Dane hasn't figured out how to tell us he needs to go out. I'd love to start bell training him but I'm scared he is too young. He will be 10 weeks old on 7/27.

Comment

Originally posted by cchartier View Post
                        Our Dane hasn't figured out how to tell us he needs to go out. I'd love to start bell training him but I'm scared he is too young. He will be 10 weeks old on 7/27.
                        He is not too young. I would start now. I brought my boy home at 8.5 weeks and he learned the bells by 10 weeks. All I did was ring them myself every time the door opened and one night he just went and rang them himself. Good luck

Comment

Has anyone tried a spray bottle(s) water of course in conjunction with bell training? I first heard of it from a prof dog trainer some 10 yr.s ago when i raised Amer. Bulldogs for a short period. N it worked wonders then and I believe helped when we first brought our Alaska (Amer. Bull 5 yr. 80lb) home. Whilst granted we had the benefit of Max (recently deceased Rott/Shepard 14 yr RIP ol' friend) whom helped soooo much.
                          It requires catchin them in the "act" but a quick spritz to head/face a firm "NO" then rushing out hitting the bell and "(insert poddy outside command)". Hopefully Alaska will help like her "big brother" did.
                          Our new family member comes home next week (8 weeks old) n intend work on the tried and true technique with him (Thor) pictures imminent as well as a proper intro
                          Jus a thought from a newb
                          Don of (Terr n Don)

Comment

Originally posted by TerrnDon View Post
                            Has anyone tried a spray bottle(s) water of course in conjunction with bell training? I first heard of it from a prof dog trainer some 10 yr.s ago when i raised Amer. Bulldogs for a short period. N it worked wonders then and I believe helped when we first brought our Alaska (Amer. Bull 5 yr. 80lb) home. Whilst granted we had the benefit of Max (recently deceased Rott/Shepard 14 yr RIP ol' friend) whom helped soooo much.
                            It requires catchin them in the "act" but a quick spritz to head/face a firm "NO" then rushing out hitting the bell and "(insert poddy outside command)". Hopefully Alaska will help like her "big brother" did.
                            Our new family member comes home next week (8 weeks old) n intend work on the tried and true technique with him (Thor) pictures imminent as well as a proper intro
                            Jus a thought from a newb
                            Don of (Terr n Don)
                            No, I would not punish a puppy for soiling inside. Punishment often creates sneaky dogs, and I donít want sneaky from my dogs. Not to mention I sure donít want my dogs to associate me with any sort of negativity as that kind of erosion of the relationship makes all sorts of things harder down the line.

A calm, neutral interruption, take the pup outside, and big praise for going outside is really all that is needed.
                            Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                            - Anatole France

Comment

My puppies whines in her crate

My puppy whines a lot in her crate. When we walk away and she can't see us she begins to whine. She is 8 weeks old and we have started her housebreaking. She has had a few accident. We don have her on a leash, and we do take her out every hour. She seems to be very needy. I woke up at 4am she was fine pee and at 7 am she poop and pee. I have her in a large crate with a pad and a bed. 3 times she used the pad on the first two days. On day 3 she didn't pee on the pad.
                              I need your help with the whining? She doesn't like to be in the crate

Comment

Don't put a potty pad in her crate. You're just teaching her to go potty in there.
                                sigpic
                                Fergus
                                SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                                Eisen Shark
                                C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Working...
                                X