re: Dogs jumping/scratching at the door when wanting in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re: Dogs jumping/scratching at the door when wanting in

Hi, we have 2 dogs that like to jump/scratch at the door when they want to come inside.

What could we do about this to have them stop that behaviour?

It's getting quite annoying and it's very loud.
    sigpic
    Domino - Harlequin
    Dixie - Fawn

Can you install a doggy door?

You can work on teaching them that sitting is what gets them the reward they want. Paying attention to their patterns in the backyard will help you predict their behaviours and then you can use that to your advantage. So for example, if they usually start scratching after 10 minutes, go to the door after 8 or 9 minutes and have them sit/down/whatever before you open the door.

Maybe you could even teach them to ring the bell when they want to come in instead of scratching at the door.
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

Hi,

I am a person who is outside supervising the dogs or within ear shot. Whats wrong with letting the dog in?

Comment

We have the same problem. We have an enclosed screen porch that is connected to our back door, so when Miley wants in she scratches the screen. We have to replace 2 screens this spring. I usually time her, but even if she sees me going to let her in she still scratches. Not sure what we are going to do this year. Maybe some sort of screen guard.

Edit: But now that it is getting nice out we are usually outside with her. Maybe that is why this is all happening over the winter. Too cold for me out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
          Can you install a doggy door?

You can work on teaching them that sitting is what gets them the reward they want. Paying attention to their patterns in the backyard will help you predict their behaviours and then you can use that to your advantage. So for example, if they usually start scratching after 10 minutes, go to the door after 8 or 9 minutes and have them sit/down/whatever before you open the door.

Maybe you could even teach them to ring the bell when they want to come in instead of scratching at the door.

I don't think my family would be willing to install a doggy door. But yeah.. the doorbell idea is great, but might get really annoying lol. we can try it.
          And I have never timed them outside, but will maybe keep an eye on that.

I know my dog likes it if we go out side n stay outside with her. Shes just a big baby haha.
          sigpic
          Domino - Harlequin
          Dixie - Fawn

Comment

Originally posted by DPU View Post
            Hi,

I am a person who is outside supervising the dogs or within ear shot. Whats wrong with letting the dog in?
            we do let them in, but wish that there was some other way they could tell us they wanted in instead of scratching at the door and mucking it all up too.
            sigpic
            Domino - Harlequin
            Dixie - Fawn

Comment

Originally posted by pet_lover25 View Post
              we do let them in, but wish that there was some other way they could tell us they wanted in instead of scratching at the door and mucking it all up too.
              Hi you can put a bell on the door handle and teach them to ring instead of scratch.I know many dogs that use a bell.

Comment

I have a solution for scratching at a porch screen. When we lived in PA apartment, my door was a sliding door that lead to a really nice deck. We often gated off the deck and let Darwin out to sun on it. Well, Darwin immediately picked up on scratching at the screen to come in- which was so not going to fly with my landlords! We needed to break him of the habit quickly, so every time he raised his paw to scratch at the screen, we squirted him through the screen with a water gun. Took a total of 3 squirts before he developed a new signal- come to the screen, take two steps back (which put him out of the range of our dollar store squirt gun) and bark once. We made sure to always let him in promptly after the bark.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by MileyBeans View Post
                  We have the same problem. We have an enclosed screen porch that is connected to our back door, so when Miley wants in she scratches the screen. We have to replace 2 screens this spring. I usually time her, but even if she sees me going to let her in she still scratches. Not sure what we are going to do this year. Maybe some sort of screen guard.

Edit: But now that it is getting nice out we are usually outside with her. Maybe that is why this is all happening over the winter. Too cold for me out there!
                  Go to Home Depot & buy Petscreen - that stuff is amazing and danes can't scratch or break through it - it's on all my lower windows.

Comment

Does your dog know the sit command and can do consistently unsupervised? If so, we have a technique we used to teach our dogs not to jump on the door.
                    sigpic
                    In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                    Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

We have a guard on the screen for our sliding glass door and our last dane would slide it open with her foot and let herself in. She knocked it off of the track a few times but that was easy to fix. It was hilarious to see the look on peoples faces when they saw her do it. She never did learn how to close it behind her though, oh well. Geez do we ever miss her , she was something else.
                      What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say ~ Ralph Waldo Emmerson

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations on the screens!

Comment

hmm... Would dinging the doorbell become a problem after a while do you think? I was thinking if i have to let my dogs out at like 3am, or whenever everyone else is sleeping that it might be a problem if she goes to try n ding the doorbell...

any other suggestions?

I don't always feel like waiting/watching when she and the other dogs are outside.
                          sigpic
                          Domino - Harlequin
                          Dixie - Fawn

Comment

we might try that squirt gun one! But they might think we are playing.
                            sigpic
                            Domino - Harlequin
                            Dixie - Fawn

Comment

Originally posted by pet_lover25 View Post
                              hmm... Would dinging the doorbell become a problem after a while do you think? I was thinking if i have to let my dogs out at like 3am, or whenever everyone else is sleeping that it might be a problem if she goes to try n ding the doorbell...

any other suggestions?

I don't always feel like waiting/watching when she and the other dogs are outside.
                              If it becomes a problem, you'll notice it, troubleshoot, then find a way around it. You have to think for yourself.

You've had tons of great suggestions so far - I suggest you get off the internet and go try some of them. I see you posting the same questions in multiple forums and getting TONS of answers, yet you don't implement many of them and in a month you post the same questions again.

Sometimes I don't feel like doing much of anything with my dog, but that's the life. You have to do what works, even if that means constant supervision.
                              Katie & Scarlett
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X