Little win today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little win today

For some back story, our neighbor with whom we share a significant amount of fence line, has one of her dogs back now. Kelly and Miura have never met. Kelly is husky/lab/? mix (black with ice blue eyes) and a little bit skittish.

This morning, I let Miura out to go potty after breakfast. Kelly had gotten out and was in the driveway (safe, but past where the gate is.) She saw us from the driveway and put up a huge racket barking and carrying on. I saw Kelly but it was too late to put Miura back up inside.

Normally, Miura is hugely defensive of her yard and will go NUTS lunging at the fence and barking, even showing her teeth. It's only a 4' fence and I'm certain she could clear it no problem if she put her mind to it. As of last fall, she'd go crazy if anyone approached the fence at all.

Today, she ran down the stairs, peed, and went for the fence to see what was going on while I ran inside to grab her leash the whole time yelling, "Miura, with me! Now!" It wasn't a panic voice, much... mostly a "No, this is silly nonsense, I've got it. Do what you're told. I'll take care of it."

There wasn't a single bark out of her and after she'd run the length of the fence she came right up the stairs all smiles and happy tail. She didn't like being shut in the house while I made sure Kelly was home safe and closed the gate but didn't seem concerned in the least bit that she'd been barked at or that a strange dog was near her home. She went right for her bone and when tired, crawled up on the sofa for a nap.

I'm so happy she didn't bother with the other dog and came to me after a bit of a romp. To be fair, she went for the fence when I was inside getting the leash and there is a wall so she has to run the whole length to get back up to the stairs.

In a perfect world, she'd finish peeing and come right back up but I don't much blame her for investigating the strange bark. She's had very little consistent recall training, just working on trust. "Don't worry about it." is said frequently and she is getting to the point that she looks to me if she is uncertain or concerned about something.

The fact that she didn't go over the fence, didn't bark even once, came to me when I called her (even though it took a bit), and was super happy the entire time is a big win in my book. Minor accomplishment overall but, ! Good girl!

Good girl Miura..
    sigpic
    Brooks

Comment

WTG both of you
      sigpic--Shana and Riley

Comment

Super...that is a really important victory and milestone!! Yaaaaaay!

Comment

Nicely done!
          Ann & John and Navy (b. 1/5/14)
          Whisper (Avatar 3/9/07 - 11/19/13)

Zip (2000-2007 - waiting at the Bridge)
          http://dolforum.com/forum/image.php?...ine=1215894342

Also at the Bridge: Woof, Natasha, Kippie, Black Jack, Thumper, Nigra Altair and Sean

Comment

Working...
          X