Female Danes fighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3XDaneMom View Post
    ... My heart drops reading this. keeping the two apart will make it worse. The last thing they remeber of each other was fear and pain, now they will be on edge the moment they see eachother again, EXPECIALLY if the handlers are nervous or upset as well about a possable dog fight.

First off a full health work up on both dogs is always my first reccomendation. Second look up Ian Dunbars DVD on Fighting and watch it. Third find a trainer to help you re-intoduce the dogs properly and how to control them together. Never leave them alone unsupervised. To say the dogs will never get along again is false. You can keep them seperated the rest of their lives as that is the easy way out. But it can be fixed. EVERYDAY I work with this issue in some of the dogs in the house and everyday they get a little better. Many have been rehabed and rehomed.

Also ONE fight is not the end of the world. Fights that keep comming up is an issue. One thing I keep on hand for fights is an air horn, let that lose right beside the two fighting dogs and I get a break in the fight about 98% of the time.
    This is an excellent post. THANK YOU. I was so disheartened reading this thread.

I will not say we don't have an occasional fight, maybe 2 a year, but our dogs all run together and we make them work out any differences within 15-20 minutes of a fight. Even my red zone dog Ripley (who has mellowed quite a bit with age and lots of training) gets along. We have 4 girls and 4 boys. One intact male and one intact bitch, everyone else is altered.

It takes work on the human's part - mainly training and supervision.
    Good luck with your babies.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WeLoveOur7Dogs View Post
      This is an excellent post. THANK YOU. I was so disheartened reading this thread.
      Just doing my part
      sigpic
      "Show me your dog, and I will tell you what manner of man you are."
      ~Capt. Max von Stephanitz
      Anubis CGC (RIP) , Cheza CGC, Schwarz Frost von Lichtefeld CGCA THD TDIA, Steele Gunner Goatsbane CGCA, and Professional House Dog Oliver.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingPostal View Post
        Haven't you seen this vid?
        http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ideos/05666_00

Two dogs start a fight and almost every dog around jumps in or heads for the nearest dog to fight as well. Pack mentality. And "suprise", people come out from everywhere. Looks pretty staged to me.
        And at the very end he says "after chaos you have to creat peace, balance, harmony" which he does. Those same two dogs go in together and don't fight.
        sigpic

Comment

I dont like Milans methods....but it still can be done. It would be a lot of work and effort, and I would be super aware of possible triggers, but I dont think that you have to seperate for ever and be done with it. I know Milan has several episodes of it happening, and on the flip side, so does victoria stillwell. I realize these are both shows, and things are edited and seem to be much easier, but the point remains it can be done.

Comment

And at the very end he says "after chaos you have to creat peace, balance, harmony" which he does. Those same two dogs go in together and don't fight.
            I am not saying dogs cannot live in harmony.They do i have had 14 all intact at one time.But ceasers are all staged no doubt about it.As for the girls fighting i agree one fight is far from the end.You can work through this no doubt i have in the past.

Comment

Peace and harmony? I must have been watching a different video than you. Those two probably wouldn't have had an issue in the first place if there wasn't 20 dogs running around and the people were paying any attention. Putting those two dogs in a cramped space like that after a fight is asking for one to start up again, who puts their dogs knowingly in an position to get hurt? At the end of that episode that dog attacks another of his dogs and he tells the owners they can't handle their dog, but don't worry, he'll take her and they can have one of his "calmer" dogs. Really solved the problem there, didn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by 3XDaneMom View Post
                It is all in the training and management of your dogs. REALLY! In this house there are 20 dogs, male and female - intact and fixed. With the exception of 3 TRUELY dog aggressive dogs ALL of them get along when mixed in groups. (as they only come out in groups of 4 to 6 at a time, I'm good but 17 at once- no thank you) I have taken two dogs at war with each other and turned them into two dogs who get along. My own Oliver and Gunny tried to kill each other 6 times (I'm talking vet trip battle wounds) and now can be lose together, and yes I can trust them unattended tho I would never tell any one else to it. If you have an established well trained dog group and bring in a puppy properly you should not have an issue. My personal 5 are 4 males and an unaltered female. They live as a pack and do wonderful together beacuse I set up each one for success. With Eva being so new to your "pack" I would wait at least 4-6 months minimum before adding another dog, but that is JMO. If you think you can take it on right now go right ahead, puppies are fun!
                yeah, that is what I keep saying...but most of the breeders say no way....

and no!!!!! I won't be adding one anytime soon!!!! Good lord, I might as well just burn my paycheck when I get it instead of even depositing it... lol! it will be a few years!

Comment

Originally posted by GoingPostal View Post
                  Peace and harmony? I must have been watching a different video than you. Those two probably wouldn't have had an issue in the first place if there wasn't 20 dogs running around and the people were paying any attention. Putting those two dogs in a cramped space like that after a fight is asking for one to start up again, who puts their dogs knowingly in an position to get hurt? At the end of that episode that dog attacks another of his dogs and he tells the owners they can't handle their dog, but don't worry, he'll take her and they can have one of his "calmer" dogs. Really solved the problem there, didn't he?
                  All I am saying is that I agree with the idea of getting them back together and into a calmer state of mind immediately (or as close to it as possible) after a fight. Our house is small and there are 8 of them so their spaces is "cramped" too. They have to learn to deal with it. You should see them in the truck, especially when we take all of them, talk about cramped.

We live by the philosopy of "you might not always like what the "other guy" says or does, but you are NOT allowed to go "punch him in the face".

No, the pits in the video are not friends, and they shouldn't be allowed to be together unsupervised, but they were NOT fighting when re-introduced. A good step forward in capable hands.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm reading this thread with tears rolling down my face. My two females, both fabulous loves! Got into a bad fight (out of the blue!) on Thanksgiving. We took them apart, but they have been tesne with each other since and I am keeping them separate. Both were spayed about 2 months ago and just short of 2 years old. I'm mortified to think I may have to rehome one, and it would be my first...who is more like a huge cuddly mastiff. She adores humans, and is a touch lush. My leaner athletic dane was rehomed to us a few months ago, and she's JUST regained her trust in people...I simply can't put her through another home...she went through too much and is now trusting. They did so well together! But now they just glare. These above stories are very real...thank you (they're years old, but very helpful). Any other insights will be helpful, I'm sure. Has anyone had them "turn around"? I think I'm pretty mindful with psychology, and I'm being fair and disciplines with both of them...but...? (thank you for any input.)

Comment

i'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. for 2 years i had 2 adult female danes (both rescues) living together in perfect harmony. two years ago, i added a third adult female (a retired show dog from a reputable breeder or i never would have done it). for these last 2 years, all three girls have been best friends. i had a few people tell me i was crazy to add another female but i knew my girls and the breeder knew hers and we both knew there was every reason to believe they would get along fine. three months ago i added a fourth, a 7 year old dane boy. from day one, they have gotten along 100% of the time. i am, however, always vigilant even when they are all sound asleep in a pile and i keep a small air horn on my kitchen island that i can reach immediately. i have never had occasion to even come close to having to use it but i am always, ALWAYS aware of where each dog is and what each dog is doing (i'm retired and rarely leave home so i have an advantage many people do not).

when you say "out of the blue", that may very well be true from your perspective. however, dog fights are rarely "out of the blue". there is almost always some sort of body language between the dogs that can and often does spark a fight even though we don't always see it. it can be something as simple as a sideways glance, a misinterpreted movement or an on purpose movement.

since it was thanksgiving, did you have lots of yummy food cooking, a nicely browned and juicy turkey sitting on the kitchen counter? could the dogs have been ramped up by the smell and possibility of a really good treat? did you have other people at your house? could someone have sneaked a treat to one dog and not the other? i know i'm reaching with some of these scenarios but you just never know what could have happened immediately before a fight happened. if none of those things happened, you can still bet that something did that you simply did not pick up on.

your first step should be having both of your girls get a complete going over at the vet's. that should include blood work and you should specifically ask for a thyroid panel to be done (which is not part of regular blood work). many times, even in young dogs, thyroid issues can lead to aggression. if everything comes back normal, then you may wish to consult a behaviorist who can come in and watch your dogs interact.

wishing you luck! yes, of course, it can be "turned around" but it will take diligence on your part and a solid resolve to do whatever you have to. i'll also throw in the fact that you should be very cognizant of your own mood when dealing with your girls. try to be light hearted and use a happy voice and NEVER let yourself be nervous. i know that's hard to do but they WILL pick up on it and that will make them nervous which is never a good thing.
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                      X