wrong, or just confident?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrong, or just confident?

I am a first-time dane owner, but the more I learn; the less I worry. I really don't have the support from my DH and family that I thought I would have, but it somehow means less to me. Diesel has been a handful, but he seems well balanced despite the opinions of my "inner circle." He loves people (needs improvement on his manners), he loves snow, ice, rain,thunderstorms, etc. When he has exercise or is busy, he is good and stays out of trouble, but I am forever hearing what a bother he is. His size has been such an issue with everyone but me. I am the one who feeds him, takes him out every couple of hours (we don't have a fence), the one who plays with him, the one who walks him, etc. and I have never ever complained. Why is it such a topic of discussion then? Some words of encouragement would really sound nice right about now.

Any dog of any size is a blessing. Seek out a good trainer to make him the best member of the family he can be! Look at the pictures of my Pack and tell your family it is lucky you just have one! LOL!
    sigpic
    "Show me your dog, and I will tell you what manner of man you are."
    ~Capt. Max von Stephanitz
    Anubis CGC (RIP) , Cheza CGC, Schwarz Frost von Lichtefeld CGCA THD TDIA, Steele Gunner Goatsbane CGCA, and Professional House Dog Oliver.

Comment

Awww....I can TOTALLY relate to this. Although Chaucer is a puppy, my family has not stopped giving me grief about him since the day we picked him up. Hug your baby and ignore the naysayers--you'll get back far more UNCONDITIONALLY from him than you will most family members!!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel's mom View Post
        I am a first-time dane owner, but the more I learn; the less I worry. I really don't have the support from my DH and family that I thought I would have, but it somehow means less to me. Diesel has been a handful, but he seems well balanced despite the opinions of my "inner circle." He loves people (needs improvement on his manners), he loves snow, ice, rain,thunderstorms, etc. When he has exercise or is busy, he is good and stays out of trouble, but I am forever hearing what a bother he is. His size has been such an issue with everyone but me. I am the one who feeds him, takes him out every couple of hours (we don't have a fence), the one who plays with him, the one who walks him, etc. and I have never ever complained. Why is it such a topic of discussion then? Some words of encouragement would really sound nice right about now.
        There's nothing wrong with Diesel. It's a Dane Thing. Most people are just not used to such a Large Dog. Goes something like this:
        **When you sit down my dogs head is now level with your head. If I had a dog that was 15" off the floor they woud reach down and say "Hey buddy"while they rubbed his head. But when Rosco goes over to say hi..it's "your dog is in my face"
        **If I had small dog that stepped on their foot they probably wouldn't notice. When Rosco does it."OMG your dog is on my foot" followed by checking for broken bones.
        **If I had a small dog that happily wagged it's tail against their leg probably wouldn't even notice. If Rosco is happy "OMG you should get that dog's tail cut off" followed by alot of grimicing and leg rubbing.
        ** If I had a small dog that jumped on their lap they would smile and say"Oh look, he likes me" If Rosco happens to back up and sit in their lap.
        "OMG get your dog off my lap my legs are going numb" Followed by in place stomping to see if their legs still work.

So just know that you are in a special group of people who happen to love the daily adventures of life with a Giant Breed. And we are here for you anytime you need to vent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco'sMom View Post
          There's nothing wrong with Diesel. It's a Dane Thing. Most people are just not used to such a Large Dog. Goes something like this:
          **When you sit down my dogs head is now level with your head. If I had a dog that was 15" off the floor they woud reach down and say "Hey buddy"while they rubbed his head. But when Rosco goes over to say hi..it's "your dog is in my face"
          **If I had small dog that stepped on their foot they probably wouldn't notice. When Rosco does it."OMG your dog is on my foot" followed by checking for broken bones.
          **If I had a small dog that happily wagged it's tail against their leg probably wouldn't even notice. If Rosco is happy "OMG you should get that dog's tail cut off" followed by alot of grimicing and leg rubbing.
          ** If I had a small dog that jumped on their lap they would smile and say"Oh look, he likes me" If Rosco happens to back up and sit in their lap.
          "OMG get your dog off my lap my legs are going numb" Followed by in place stomping to see if their legs still work.

So just know that you are in a special group of people who happen to love the daily adventures of life with a Giant Breed. And we are here for you anytime you need to vent.
          Perfectly put and funny to boot
          Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
          - Anatole France

Comment

Originally posted by MistyLyn View Post
            Awww....I can TOTALLY relate to this. Although Chaucer is a puppy, my family has not stopped giving me grief about him since the day we picked him up. Hug your baby and ignore the naysayers--you'll get back far more UNCONDITIONALLY from him than you will most family members!!

Perfect words of wisdom! Well said and so true!

Diesel's Mom, I get the same stuff from my Hubby and family about Apollo. He has been a challenge to say the least, but I won't give up and every time my hubby gets on my case about it, it just makes me want to work that much harder, because I know, that this boy has the potential to be a wonderful, loving, well behaved family member.

And when he does, I am going to dance all around the house chanting, "I told you so, I told you so!"
            Lisa & "The Boys"

Comment

I also have members of my family (daughter-in-law and son-in-law) who were NOT raised with large dogs and want almost NOTHING to do with Cisco. He tries every time they come to visit to greet them (NICELY TOO!) and just wants them to give him a pat and say 'hi'..........but it's always the same reaction from them........they see him coming towards them and immediately tell him "No!" Grrrrrr!!!! To keep peace in the family, I do not say anything to them, but I give TONS of EXTRA attention to Cisco while they are here so he knows how much he's loved. I used to get so upset and frustrated about their attitude towards him.........then I saw this, and it made me feel so good about having my dog and how lucky I was and most of all, made me realize they are the ones missing out and TOO BAD FOR THEM!!!

"When I am Old"
              When I am old, I shall still wear jeans and big gray sweatshirts...and my hair pulled up in a bun...and I shall spend my Social Security checks on white wine and MY DOGS...and sit in my house on my well-worn couch, and listen to my dog's breathing. I will sneak out in the middle of a warm summer night and sit on the porch with my dogs...and take them for a moonlit walk, if my old bones will allow...and when people come to call, I will smile and nod as I show them my dogs...and talk of them and about them...the ones so beloved of the past and the ones so beloved of today...I still will work hard cleaning up after them and mopping and feeding them and calling their names in a loving way...I will wear the gleaming sweat on my throat, like a jewel, and I will be an embarrassment to all...and to my family...who will not understand...and who have not yet found the peace in being free to have dogs as your Best Friends...These friends who always wait, at any hour, for your footfall...and eagerly jump to their feet out of a sound sleep, to greet you, to follow you everywhere, as if you are a God. With warm eyes full of adoring love and hope that you will stay and hug their big, strong necks...and kiss their dear sweet heads...and whisper to them of your love and the beautiful pleasure of their very special company....I look in the mirror...and see I am getting old...this is the kind of woman I am...and have always been...loving dogs is easy for me, they are part of me, they accept me for who I am...my dogs appreciate my presence in their lives...when I am old this will be important to me...you will understand when you are old...but only if you have dogs to love too.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GreatDaneMom View Post
                "When I am Old"
                When I am old, I shall still wear jeans and big gray sweatshirts...and my hair pulled up in a bun...and I shall spend my Social Security checks on white wine and MY DOGS...and sit in my house on my well-worn couch, and listen to my dog's breathing. I will sneak out in the middle of a warm summer night and sit on the porch with my dogs...and take them for a moonlit walk, if my old bones will allow...and when people come to call, I will smile and nod as I show them my dogs...and talk of them and about them...the ones so beloved of the past and the ones so beloved of today...I still will work hard cleaning up after them and mopping and feeding them and calling their names in a loving way...I will wear the gleaming sweat on my throat, like a jewel, and I will be an embarrassment to all...and to my family...who will not understand...and who have not yet found the peace in being free to have dogs as your Best Friends...These friends who always wait, at any hour, for your footfall...and eagerly jump to their feet out of a sound sleep, to greet you, to follow you everywhere, as if you are a God. With warm eyes full of adoring love and hope that you will stay and hug their big, strong necks...and kiss their dear sweet heads...and whisper to them of your love and the beautiful pleasure of their very special company....I look in the mirror...and see I am getting old...this is the kind of woman I am...and have always been...loving dogs is easy for me, they are part of me, they accept me for who I am...my dogs appreciate my presence in their lives...when I am old this will be important to me...you will understand when you are old...but only if you have dogs to love too.
                Love it, Love it!! I hope you don't mind, but I copied that. That is one I want to show my hubby and my girls at work! That is so me and who I want to be. Thank you! I have never seen that before.
                Lisa & "The Boys"

Comment

I think I originally saw this posted by Dee......long time ago......but not sure. Anyway.......it was like it was talking about ME!!!!!!!!!! I have framed it and it is here on the wall in my computer room.........for all friends and family TO SEE!!! I love it too.........pretty much says IT ALL......
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GreatDaneMom View Post
                    I think I originally saw this posted by Dee......long time ago......but not sure. Anyway.......it was like it was talking about ME!!!!!!!!!! I have framed it and it is here on the wall in my computer room.........for all friends and family TO SEE!!! I love it too.........pretty much says IT ALL......
                    Well I think it is great and will probably do the exact same thing! *L*
                    Lisa & "The Boys"

Comment

Love him, teach him manners and help him be the best dog he can be...prove your "inner circle" wrong! If you slowly work on the each naysayer they will grow to love and respect him as well! And if they don't, know that both Diesel and you did all you could. You will both be happier for it!

Chris

Comment

My former mother-in-law hated the fact that I loved BIG dogs. The best (well almost the best) part of divorce was losing the mother-in-law. Although I DO miss setting her up......you know, having the HUGE dog lick the 2 year old clean after dinner..... telling the HUGE DOG (in front of her) to "watch the baby" ..... and have him sit down next to a then 4 month old, and stare at her intently, until I told him it was "ok" to leave....

Ahhhh the joys of memories past.....

But if you want to stay married.....ummmmm.....no advice here !!!!!

Andi

Comment

Originally posted by andipanda 1 View Post
                          My former mother-in-law hated the fact that I loved BIG dogs. The best (well almost the best) part of divorce was losing the mother-in-law. Although I DO miss setting her up......you know, having the HUGE dog lick the 2 year old clean after dinner..... telling the HUGE DOG (in front of her) to "watch the baby" ..... and have him sit down next to a then 4 month old, and stare at her intently, until I told him it was "ok" to leave....

Ahhhh the joys of memories past.....

But if you want to stay married.....ummmmm.....no advice here !!!!!

Andi
                          Love it Andi!! I can just imagine the look on the X-MIL's face!!
                          sigpic

Comment

awww that must be hard!

I am very lucky that my 'inner circle' has been excellent. I would really find it hard without their support so I really feel for you (

Be strong and keep working with your doggie. Try if you can to think of improving his manners as an ongoing project. And then, in the mean time, just enjoy him for the dog he is

He will adore you for it and you will have a wonderful bond.

You can do it

Comment

Working...
                            X