Another question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I haven't trained a puppy in a long time and I want her to be well-behaved!

She has started barking at our neighbors. If it is just a person, I can calm her down and then praise her when she sits quietly and watches them. The problem I am having is that my neighbors have teenagers who are on skateboards or their trampoline, and that freaks Lucy out. Her hair will stand up and she has actually growled a little between barks. She will pull on her leash and if I follow her she runs to the door and tries to get back inside, so I think she is just scared. What can I do to teach her not to bark at strangers and especially not to growl? Thank you so much!

Side note =) In public, like on our walks, the vet, Petsmart, etc. she is fine with strangers. She is a little timid but warms up really fast and never barks.
    Last edited by whitney; 06-29-2009, 07:06 PM.
    sigpic"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog" -Edward Hoagland

"A dog is not 'almost human' and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such" -John Holmes

First of all how do you feel about your neighbors? Do they make you nervous? She could be feeding off your energy.
    If not, is there anyway she can have some interaction with these neighbors? Can you take her to a skatepark, so she can see that it is not scary? I would think that this could be overcome with exposure and socialization. I am sure other will chime in, but that is my .02.
    sigpic
    Lori, Desi & Grimm
    RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
    Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
    Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

I would go outside and ask if you could borrow one of the skate boards and then sit down with her and let her check it out for a bit, then you yourself get on it and move around a bit. Then allow her to meet one of the kids and then ask them to skate calmly around a bit. All the while keep upbeat and perky. After this, when you see one of the kids get excited as if your day has been made and go outside to watch.

Comment

When Gwen developed a fear of fire hydrants, i took up kissing every one in the neighborhood and petting them. She always comes up to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by MyDaneBaby View Post
          When Gwen developed a fear of fire hydrants, i took up kissing every one in the neighborhood and petting them. She always comes up to check it out.
          LOL -- what a sight that must have been!
          Melisa, Bentley and Ella
          www.landmarkdanes.weebly.com

CH Divine Acres Livin' in the Fast Lane "Bentley"

Divine Acres Busy Being Fabulous "Ella"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MyDaneBaby View Post
            What cha won't do for your Dane, LOL!

Don't they go thru the oddest phases and get spooked over some of the craziest things and then...poof...one day they forget all about it!

"...none of us know what private hell or hardships the next person may have endured or faces even now. We should never aim even the tiniest arrow at a heart that may be more fragile than we know..." Janice

Comment

Bwhahahaa! Oh Mitch, that sounds hilarious!!

Danes are so funny!

Our old house didn't have too many kids around, mostly just a few teenagers (who skateboarded a lot in front of our house actually). Now I live in a cul-de-sac with tons of loose younger children and that's been an adventure!

Thankfully my dogs are well-socialized with children, but there have been some unexpected surprises -- like how much it disturbed my boys to wake up one morning and note one of the kids had left a tricycle (oooooh) on our lawn. There were lots of suspicious grumbles and boofs over that!

There's more activity on this street so it took some getting used to. When they barked at something like the kids playing or neighbors getting in and out of cars, I'd go check it out, and say 'oh its just neighbors/kids' and walk away, telling them shh/settle/quiet if necessary.

We have also spent a lot of time with the kids and families on our street, both in just getting the dogs used to the kids and the kids and parents aware of proper behavior, which mostly consists of leave the dogs alone at the fence.

Why not take her out front on leash and sit and watch the kids skate? Don't coddle her or soothe; act like this is very fun and interesting. I have a command 'just watch' which means pretty much that. You may look at it with interest, but no barking. Without forcing her, you can see about her meeting the kids and getting pets and treats.

She just needs to get used to it all, and learn that this is an acceptable thing to have going on.

Comment

My Steve got freaked out once by some skateboarders. All of my dogs have. Very normal. I just approched them slowly only when he was calm & ready. I heeled around them a bit & did ask one of them if he could check out one of their boards he sniffed it & I stuck around while they were on their boards until he was completley relaxed.

Just take your time & do not proceed until your dog is ready. Lots of praise for steps in the right direction & do not coddle as in oh poor baby does that bad boarder scare you !!! you get the drift.

Deal with it now or you may regret it when your dog decides to finaly get one of those bad boarders with you on the other end of the leash.

If it is an issue with your neigbours it may be teritorial or as said she is feeling your nervousness!
                sigpic

Comment

I see someone beat me to the advice! Sorry did not see the last post.
                  sigpic

Comment

Last night when I got home from work Titan was barking constantly at something in the back yard. My boyfriend said, 'what is he barking at?' I went to see, and the lawnmower was sitting in the yard. He hadn't seen it there before and it was bothering him. So, I went out with him, coaxed him to come up to it, and check it out. Once he relaxed, I gave lots of pets, good boys, and lovins. He was okay after that. He did the same thing with a package of toilet paper in the hallway one day. New things he's not used to seeing freak him out. He was obsessed with watching 'dad' mow the lawn later on though. Stood on the back of the couch and watched the whole time through the screen door. So, we work our way up to whatever he's unsure of, and give lots of praise and treats. I think the idea of borrowing a skateboard is great to let her check it out and understand its not a bad thing.
                    'The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.' Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Zim View Post
                      Deal with it now or you may regret it when your dog decides to finaly get one of those bad boarders with you on the other end of the leash.
                      This is a great warning as well. My mom always tells this story when she sees big dogs, but it is slightly humorous even tho the danger is great. Her friend way back in the day :P (ok not really) had two male rotties. They were over all well behaved dogs but they were two young males. Well this guy apparently used to either bike or rollerblade with them and there were lots of skateboarders. The dogs were not affraid of the skateboarders... instead they would grab the boards from under the peoples feet and take them.

So even if your dogs are not necessarily affraid of something it is always good to teach them the proper way to behave around different items :P
                      sigpic

Comment

I've never had a problem with the neighbors so I'm not nervous with them, so it's not that. I will ask next time they are out if they would be willing to come over and give her some treats and then work our way up to the skateboard and possibly trampoline. I've never talked to the neighbors much but what little I have, they seem like nice people so hopefully they'll cooperate! Thanks for the advice!
                        sigpic"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog" -Edward Hoagland

"A dog is not 'almost human' and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such" -John Holmes

Comment

Working...
                        X