Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurting his nose and paws

Hi
    Haven't posted in a while. I've adopted a new rescue--I already have a deaf, vision-impaired dane through the same rescue who I've had since she was a puppy (she's 6 1/2 now and a great companion) and I have another dane from a breeder who is 5 years old (female, also) who is a well-behaved alpha. My new dane is almost 2 years old--he is deaf and very vision-impaired. Started out very fresh--no training whatsoever. He would snap at me if he didn't get his way--broke him of that habit in about a week. He is a sweetheart but has terrible separation anxiety. I was told by the rescue not to crate him, but I could put him in a kennel as he has been in one before, as long as there are dogs around or near him. I keep my danes in my garage (climate controlled) when I am not at home. My new guy can not yet be trusted with the other danes, especially with the alpha--fights have broken out between them so I kennel Mr. New Guy. Apparently, he is not too happy with the kennel. He used to take about an hour and a half to settle. Now only about 15 minutes and I include treats and I spray lavender on his blanket to calm him. However, either the top of his nose or his front pad or possibly his nail will be bloody when I come home. I can be gone for 1 hour or 4 hours. Basically, it's an abrasion from trying to get out of the kennel. I think that the kennel is big enough. It is a 5' x 5' x 6' h commercial grade AKC kennel. The kennel is anchored into the concrete so it cannot move. Any ideas on how to make him calm until I have happy pack of danes that will get along without separation? Mari
Working...
X