Underground fencing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underground fencing

Does anyone use this for their Danes? I have 1 Dane, she is 6.5 years old along with 3 other doggies. We are moving to a home on 9 acres and the property can't be fenced (mostly wooded and hilly) and we are thinking of using the UG fencing. We are looking at the Innotek 2100. It seems like it may do the trick and I like how it has the line break warning in case one of them happens to get out. Also the waterproof collar as the property has a 2 acre lake as well. Anyone have luck with these? Good or bad??
    Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

I personally wouldn't move anywhere that I couldn't fence. I would still try to fence in the area. Fencing can go in wooded or hilly areas. Just takes more work.

I won't sell a pup to anyone that doesn't have a safe fenced area for their dog.

At the least you could fence in a smaller area that would be safe for a dog.

Underground fences aren't reliable. Many dogs will take the shock to leave the property, then are afraid to reenter the property.

Other dogs and wild life can still enter your property.

Comment

This pretty much sums it up. HTH.

http://www.padanerescue.com/adopt/noelectronic.htm
      ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

Certainly your choice, and of course the sales literature reflects wonderful owner experiences. However before you decide, please read some of the first-hand experiences here: http://www.padanerescue.com/adopt/noelectronic.htm

If it's any indication of how unsafe MAGDRL believes these containment systems are, we will not place an adopted Dane with owners who use them. We suggest building a small fence attached to the home so the dog can step directly into a safe exercise and potty area.

HTH
        <Sorry Laura, we bumped posts!>
        Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
        sigpic
        Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
        MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
        AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
        Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

I live on several acres but it too is really hilly, rocky and partially wooded. I fenced in a small area big enough for them to exercise in and its done the trick. I take them for walks out on a long flexi on the rest of the property. The fence is connected to the house and the indoor/outdoor run so I can just turn them loose. We have a lot of wild critters and loose dogs out here so the fence is more to protect them from the critters than to keep them from getting loose.

"...none of us know what private hell or hardships the next person may have endured or faces even now. We should never aim even the tiniest arrow at a heart that may be more fragile than we know..." Janice

Comment

Hi,

I have an underground fence-I believe the same model as what you have mentioned. It works well with proper training, but everything that is posted on the magdrl site about UG fencing is abosolutely correct. You will be taking a risk with the underground fence so if you can erect a "normal" fence you'll have better piece of mind that your pet is safe.

Jennifer

Comment

My boss had a very large, unruly dane and had underground fencing. If the incentive was high enough (i.e. neighbors dogs he hated) he would still get out, and then it was hard to get him back in.
              sigpicHeather and Ailill

Comment

Thanks everyone. It sounded like a good idea just so the dogs had more room to run but from what I read, it doesn't sound like this is what we want. I talked to my dh last nite and he said he would erect a small fence, just enough to give them enough room to exercise and then we will run them on the rest of the property with supervision.
                Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

I will offer a dissenting view. We have 10 acres in the country and have had UG fence for about 6 years and have never had an issue with 4 Danes, including any of the issues listed on MAGDRL link. We also have a small fenced in area, about 40-70 ft, we used this area when Danes were pups up until about 1 year old when they were trained on UG fence. Also, we do not let them outside this area before/after sunset to reduce possibility of encounters w/ wild animals, many of which are nocturnal, in particular porcupines. The company that sold us the fence came out and did training and were very good about it. If the wire is broken underground, an alarm will sound on control box (ask me how I know). If the power goes out there is a battery back up. This does not mean we use it for a substitute for monitoring our dogs in a responsible manner, but for me it is wonderful to see them really be able to run and play in a large area and still be in what is a safe environment, in my opinion. I don't know if any of you have priced out even basic chain link fencing, but to do 10 acres would have cost many, many thousands which we really couldn't afford. Before we purchased our Danes, from what I consider very knowledgable, responsible breeders, we explained that this would be our system and they were ok with it.

Comment

You know it must really suck having to worry about your dogs. We just let Tender run about as he pleases- he scratches at the door when he's ready to come in.

Okay, now that you're past the shell shock of that statement, let me say what I really wanted to.

Where I grew up, we had 4 acres. Every dog we ever had was allowed to run, come and go as they please, etc. In the 20 years my parents have lived there, even to this day, they've never once had a problem with the dogs other than the occasional run in with a raccoon or opossum- none of which ever resulted in anything that required veterinary attention. Never had one get run over or get into a fight with another dog.

Of course, this was in a town of 800 people, and in the country at that. My parents knew the neighbors and vice versa. Our dogs would wander their way and their dogs ours- it wasn't unusual at all to look out the window and see a neighbors dog in the yard.

Now we live in the city, and since we live in a duplex w/out a decent yard, it pretty much sucks for Tender I think. The best "freedom" we can give him right now is a 15 foot tie out. When we do get a house I plan to put up a fence if there isn't one already up because I hate having to tie him up. I think it's like a cruel joke to tie a dog up- like saying "Yeah, you can be out on your own, but you can't go far."

Don't get me wrong, I understand why a dog needs to be restrained, especially in the city- I just think that to give them lots of room to run is the best thing for them.
                    sigpic
                    My dane is agile enough to climb on people... I bet yours just knocks them over, doesn't it?

DOESN'T IT!?

Comment

Fences are not only used to keep your dogs in, but they are also used to keep other animals out. UG fencing does not do that. Your yard needs to be a haven where your dog can play safely without being accosted by the wandering neighborhood dogs.
                      sigpic
                      Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                      Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                      www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

We considered the UG fencing, but as we live out in the country and are subjected to wild critters as well as everyone letting their dogs run loose, we opted for a chain link fence. It covers a half acre area around the house , is 5 ft high with 3 walk-thru and one drive thru gate and cost $7000. My dogs are finally safe!
                        sigpicOwned by Brindle (8 yr old GD), Damage (Hay's Blue Ghost, 2 yr old GD), Katie (Wind River's Harley LadyRanger, 3 yr old GD) and Luna (10 yr old evil black cat).

Comment

We're on about an acre, fully fenced when we bought the house but the fence is only 4 feet high... I've been considering adding a "shock wire" for added security. Anyone have opinions/experience with this?

There are no other dogs in the neighborhood but there are coyotes around, we hear them all the time. There are also deer in the area occasionally. Bears and cougars are a minor concern, I believe they stay further away from the city although a bobcat (!!!) was spotted on the property several years ago. We haven't seen anything more exciting than bunnies so far, not even a raccoon or opossum.

I have seriously considered a shotgun loaded with rock salt just in case... heck of a deterrent for intruders of any kind and less likely to seriously injure Miura if she gets hit by some of it (e.g. in the middle of an attack). The fire extinguisher is at the ready and bear spray is on the "to be renewed" list.

It's sobering to think about. Those are the best things I can come up with and will certainly be more effective than me trying to tear a 200lb cougar off my dog.

To be clear, no one/thing is getting shot with anything unless there is a direct threat. Something dangerous in the yard while everyone is safely inside will result in a very excited call to police/animal control. Someone in the house is another matter.

* ETA: I am apparently thread killer extraordinaire... sorry about that. =(

We decided against underground fencing due to having to wear a collar all the time and the associated risks with that. However, for HUGE lots I can definitely see the benefit, particularly with a smaller fenced area for a quick potty and when the zoomies strike.
                          Last edited by agreenwood; 04-10-2009, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                            Fences are not only used to keep your dogs in, but they are also used to keep other animals out. UG fencing does not do that. Your yard needs to be a haven where your dog can play safely without being accosted by the wandering neighborhood dogs.

Physical fences can certainly keep other dogs out, however in many cases they are not going to keep "other animals" out. Therefore, they are not a substitute for maintaining responsible oversight. I have seen or have first hand knowledge of Porcupines, Fishers, Racoons (rabid and otherwise) and Black Bears inside of physical fences. All of these could obviously potentially cause harm to a dog. If you don't know what a Fisher is think of an animal with the ferocity of a wolverine, albeit slightly smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by 3_Dane_Daddy View Post
                              Physical fences can certainly keep other dogs out, however in many cases they are not going to keep "other animals" out. Therefore, they are not a substitute for maintaining responsible oversight. I have seen or have first hand knowledge of Porcupines, Fishers, Racoons (rabid and otherwise) and Black Bears inside of physical fences. All of these could obviously potentially cause harm to a dog. If you don't know what a Fisher is think of an animal with the ferocity of a wolverine, albeit slightly smaller.
                              I appreciate the clarification, albeit I don't recall recommending people leave their dogs unattended. I stated that fences can and should be used to keep other dogs out of YOUR yard.
                              sigpic
                              Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                              Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                              www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Working...
                              X