This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lindsay,

As others have said - punishing a growl is a risky proposition. If you're lucky the dog "gets the message" you're trying to teach that they should tolerate whatever it was that they growled about, but with many dogs that simply is not the case. Many times, the dog suppresses the growl response and then when something pushes the dog past it's tolerance, rather than growling it goes straight to biting "without warning". Many dogs who are trained in a coercive way learn to differentiate between people who are strong enough to punish them, but test to see who is weaker (such as children or older folks who aren't as strong or agile). When working with a dog who will be as large and powerful as a Dane, I really want them to work for and like ALL people, not just defer to the ones they know are bigger, stronger or quick to punish. Knowledgeable trainers, behaviorists and dog owners are very thankful for a growl because it lets them know that the dog is stressed and gives them a brief moment to intervene before the animal feels that it has to protect itself from whatever is upsetting it.

This is not to say that you just let the dog growl! You intervene in that moment and take the dog away from the stress and proactively manage them to keep the situation from happening again, THEN set up training and behavior modification exercises to work with the dog to help alleviate its anxiety about whatever proved to be worrying it. In your case, this would mean teaching the puppy that the child means good news rather than being scary or bothersome to the dog. (And please don't think you're alone - many dogs are nervous about children.) But, if you just punish the dog for growling, you run the risk of increasing the unpleasant association between the dog and the child. To the dog, he was right - when a child comes around, bad things happen (mom/dad yell, smack, punish the dog). When this happens, dogs may escalate to growling/snapping more quickly in the hope of fending off what scared them to avoid "getting in trouble" (from the dog's perspective). At my training center, we see this type of situation very often.

You should closely supervise all interactions between dog and child, and if you know that the puppy has a history of groaning/growling at the child when being petted, then you stop letting that situation occur until you've worked with a behaviorist. Allowing the dog to continue growling is practicing the inappropriate behavior, and as they say, practice makes perfect.

NILIF is a good start. It will help teach the dog to defer to you, but won't change the pup's view of the child. This is why working with a behaviorist is important. Be sure that the behaviorist has a thorough understanding of canine behavior and how animals learn - not someone who believes in dominance theory or "being the alpha". The latter belief is outdated and inaccurate, but still hangs around out there among "traditional" trainers. You need someone who can help you teach your puppy to love children, and punishment is not the way to do that.

Please feel free to email me directly or check out the Resources section of my website to find good websites and reading materials, as well as directories for trainers/behaviorists with a science-based approach to behavior.
    "Positive does not equal permissive."

Comment

I am definitely not an expert but I did have the same situation with our dane when we first got him. We got him at 3 months. He did growl at my four year old son once or twice but he was told No! sternly and grabbed him at the scruff of the neck....I guess kinda like his mom would have done. He is now 10 1/2 months old and my kids run all over him. They lay on him and everything. Some things I also did was to let my son hand feed him his meals and to let the kids eat before he ate. I also had Dereck, my son, make him sit before he got to eat. Like I said...I am def. not an expert this is just what worked for us. Hope it helps and you will lots of great advice on here from alot of very knowledgeable people. Hope things get better for you.

Comment

For those who use punitive methods with their dogs, there's this:

If you're aggressive, your dog will be too, study
        February 17th, 2009

(PhysOrg.com) -- In a new, year-long University of Pennsylvania survey of dog owners who use confrontational or aversive methods to train aggressive pets, veterinary researchers have found that most of these animals will continue to be aggressive unless training techniques are modified.

The rest of this report is here: http://www.physorg.com/news154101338.html

(And thank doG for dogs that growl! A giant breed dog with no warning mechanism truly gives me the willies!)
        Last edited by joyable; 03-26-2009, 07:09 PM.
        Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
        sigpic
        Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
        MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
        AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
        Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

I am not aggressive and neither are my dogs. The dog aggressive Dane we had we got at the age of 7 yrs. old. SHE attacked our other dogs, not the other way around. I see absolutely no relevance between the fact that I smacked Sadie 14 1/2 years ago to Cassie, and unknown quantity, attacking my other dogs. All the others are peaceful, friendly, and live together and with us just great. Life is good for all of us, even poor ol' addled Sadie.
          ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

Comment

Originally posted by joyable View Post
            For those who use physically punitive methods with their dogs, you may want to read this:

If you're aggressive, your dog will be too, study
            February 17th, 2009

(PhysOrg.com) -- In a new, year-long University of Pennsylvania survey of dog owners who use confrontational or aversive methods to train aggressive pets, veterinary researchers have found that most of these animals will continue to be aggressive unless training techniques are modified.

The rest of this report is here: http://www.physorg.com/news154101338.html

(And thank doG for dogs that growl! A giant breed dog with no warning mechanism truly gives me the willies!)
            Joyable,

When I give any advice about growling or biting in Danes.. I give it from over 40 years experience owning and working with the breed, and what works/worked for me. In this entire time I can count on one hand the truely mean Danes I've seen, and 2 were a father and son raised in the same home.

I don't hit my dogs {routinely}contrary to what you insinuate. The story I related about my first Dane and my son was my first time and last time bopping Connie. Now as a Mother when a 100 pound plus Dane threatens your child you don't have time to figure out the dog's "trigger." What upset her. I saw what upset her..the kid attempting to take the bone away from her. If a person has an ounce of sense they stop the dog's behavior and right then, and that DOESN'T mean I remove the child from the dog and let her have her "goodie" in peace. And to me a growl is a threat, plain and simple. I gave her that bone and I {and any person in my house} should be able to take it away. WITHOUT growling.

I've been very fortunate in owning dogs that have had the true Dane temperament. I've bred good temperaments and since I quit breeding, I buy good temperaments. I absolutely insist that to live in my home a dog is the same today as he/she was yesterday..and will be tomorrow.

Your theory about if a dog is not allowed to growl {a warning} then they will just bite without warning is so much nonsense. You'll have to prove that to me, and not by some study where the answers given may be the truth and may not be. Sort of like the debate..Which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Dee
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Dog View Post
              Joyable,

When I give any advice about growling or biting in Danes.. I give it from over 40 years experience owning and working with the breed, and what works/worked for me. In this entire time I can count on one hand the truely mean Danes I've seen, and 2 were a father and son raised in the same home.

I don't hit my dogs {routinely}contrary to what you insinuate. The story I related about my first Dane and my son was my first time and last time bopping Connie. Now as a Mother when a 100 pound plus Dane threatens your child you don't have time to figure out the dog's "trigger." What upset her. I saw what upset her..the kid attempting to take the bone away from her. If a person has an ounce of sense they stop the dog's behavior and right then, and that DOESN'T mean I remove the child from the dog and let her have her "goodie" in peace. And to me a growl is a threat, plain and simple. I gave her that bone and I {and any person in my house} should be able to take it away. WITHOUT growling.

I've been very fortunate in owning dogs that have had the true Dane temperament. I've bred good temperaments and since I quit breeding, I buy good temperaments. I absolutely insist that to live in my home a dog is the same today as he/she was yesterday..and will be tomorrow.

Your theory about if a dog is not allowed to growl {a warning} then they will just bite without warning is so much nonsense. You'll have to prove that to me, and not by some study where the answers given may be the truth and may not be. Sort of like the debate..Which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Dee
              Fortunately, we've come a long way since the horse and buggy days Did't you have a dog that mauled a child once? That you had to put down?
              sigpic
              www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
              http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
              Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

These are not "my" theories. The article is based on published scientific research conducted by a respected university. My earlier post was based on published advice from Pat Miller, the canine behaviorist, former president of Association of Pet Dog Trainers, author of a host of books on training and behavior modification, owner of Peaceable Paws training school, and training editer for Whole Dog Journal. You may argue with her teachings but millions read her books and articles, attend her seminars, and thousands of APDT trainers have graduated from her dog training academy.

My purpose was to share information, but what each of us does with our own dogs is our own personal choice. I must say it is disappointing to see such strong objections to current mainstream methods because they differ from what was accepted years ago. That certainly doesn't offer readers much in the way of options.
                sigpic
                Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Hi first of all lol michelle we still have horse and buggy here in goshenI think we could always learn from new training.I also have a hard time with the growl only being a warning with that said i do not hit my dogs though when my intact males threaten each other i will grab the back of their neck.Does anyone think this is mean i know a mother dog never hits her kids but she does use the back of thier neck to train.It works here any opnions??

Comment

'Current, mainstream' methods are being shown by some, and hands-on experience by others. A good discussion can be educational in many ways, if you ignore the ridiculously stupid, irrelevant comments made for the sole purpose of trying to make a person/s look bad. People aren't stupid and can read the threads and decide what might work for them. This forum is made up of a lot of people with varying levels of experience, education, readings, teachings etc. Resorting to name-calling and adolescent drama queen behavior when you either don't agree or understand accomplishes nothing. Entertaining perhaps, but that's it. Fortunately, this is a great forum, full of experience and book education. And ENTERTAINMENT!

Comment

People lets get
                      Personal arguments will not help the original poster in the least. She has a serious problem with a pup growling and snapping at her child. And this board of Dane experts is arguing on a personal level over training methods?

Ok, original poster here is what you need to do:

1. Never ever let your pup and your child interact in the future unless you are present. (Often small children abuse puppies, behind your back and all you might have seen was a fearful reaction).

2. If the pup growls and snaps at the child correct him immediately. Tell him sharply no, grab him up and put him in his crate for a time out.

3. Under your supervision make positive contact between child and dog. Let the child feed it treats, hold a bone etc....

4. Get the pup evaluated by a competent behaviorist. If that pup is just misbehaving, no problem that can be fixed with consequent training. If that pup has an aggressive temperament (or fearful aggressive) it needs for the rest of its life strict behavioral management. And it might not be the right thing for your family and your children. If your dog is not trustworthy around your children you put them at risk. And I do not have to tell you what happens when a Dane bites.
                      Do you have any information of the parents of this pup? Have you contacted the rescue? Do they have a history from where he is from?

I do wish you the very best, and I know how upsetting this is for you, and how this is making you feel. Been there done that. If you have any further questions or just have to vent your concerns or frustration, you can post here or PM me. Please keep us updated.
                      Last edited by jeann1230; 03-27-2009, 03:14 AM.
                      sigpic
                      With best regards,
                      Jeannette Luca & Leo and now Lilly & Sophie

Comment

Thank you to all who offered helpful advice. We have already started nilif. We sat down with all of our children and discussed everything with them. We laid down some new rules. We are taking Tego to the vet on Tuesday and will probably be meeting with the behaviorist after that. (by the way..is $75/hr. session expensive? It seems it to me, but I'm not sure what the going rate is.) If he does continue aggressive behavior after that, we are going to return him to rescue so he can have a home with no small children. I just cannot put my children's welfare in jeopardy. Thank you for all of your help...I may be pm'ing some of you.

Lindsay
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tillys_Mom View Post
                          (by the way..is $75/hr. session expensive? It seems it to me, but I'm not sure what the going rate is.) Lindsay
                          Be glad you don't live on the east coast. Rates around here are $400 up per hour. Sounds very reasonable to me depending on the quality of the advice.
                          Last edited by joyable; 03-27-2009, 10:56 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Wishing you the best of luck with the behaviorist and I'm hoping you can turn it around. Please keep us posted as I am really interested and hopeful for a good outcome. Anxious to hear a report of your visit!

Comment

Working...
                            X