Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnus is still fearful of strangers....HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnus is still fearful of strangers....HELP!

Magnus is still afraid of strangers. Whenever we go out in public, if anyone approaches, he cowers behind me. He'll go up and sniff their hand but then immediately backs away if they don't have a treat for him. His tail goes between his legs and he shakes. God forbid they try to pet him. This only makes him run behind me very quickly.

We take him with us almost everywhere we go so the issue is not that he is not being socialized enough. He is around strangers at least three to four times per week.

Help! I don't want this to turn into aggression as he grows older because he'll seriously hurt someone.

Thanks,
    James
    Once a dane lover, Always a dane lover.

sigpic

My Riley just turned 6 months, and he was doing the same. We started taking him uptown for walks and he has done very well, met people and dogs, and he even passed a man who was dressed all in black with his hood up and everything. Looked scary to me. He is just too happy to be somewhere different, and walks with his head in the air sniffing all that is in the air. At home, he is getting better, I have our guests say hi to the dogs as soon as they walk in the door, then they pay no attention to him. He gets cuious and comes up to them of his own accord. That seems to make him less nervous, as it is on his terms and his time. I am so pleased at how easily he goes from being frightened with the hair up on his shoulders to a "hey, look at me, why don't you look at me" dog.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingstar View Post
      My Riley just turned 6 months, and he was doing the same. We started taking him uptown for walks and he has done very well, met people and dogs, and he even passed a man who was dressed all in black with his hood up and everything. Looked scary to me. He is just too happy to be somewhere different, and walks with his head in the air sniffing all that is in the air. At home, he is getting better, I have our guests say hi to the dogs as soon as they walk in the door, then they pay no attention to him. He gets cuious and comes up to them of his own accord. That seems to make him less nervous, as it is on his terms and his time. I am so pleased at how easily he goes from being frightened with the hair up on his shoulders to a "hey, look at me, why don't you look at me" dog.
      So it sounds like Riley just stopped this behavior in public at 6 months on his own? So should I continue to socialize him and hope that he grows out of it? I'm willing to try anything at this point.
      Once a dane lover, Always a dane lover.

sigpic

Comment

Magnum is the same way right now. Very nervous metting new people. He is 14 weeks old. People we meet on the street find it funny that a 50lb puppy is afraid to meet new people. He is fine after he has been around them for 10 minutes or so. He just started puppy classes last week so hopefully he will get over this soon.
        sigpic

Comment

Puppies do go thru fearful stages as a normal part of their mental growth. I would just keep socializing him and not pressuring him to talk to anyone until he's ready.
          When we rescued Andre he was 10 months old and someone, a man we think, was very bad to him. He was afraid of men for a long time (months). Took him awhile to get comfortable with my husband and my dad, who lives with us. We'd just take him places and tell people to ignore him. Andre would hide behind me and eventually after I'd been just talking to a person for a while he'd stick his head out and sniff them. After a while he got to where he was just stand offish for a few minutes and then he would be the guys best friend...you know leaning on him, nosing their hands asking to be pet etc. Just be patient and consistent with your pup. Don't coddle him when he's nervous either. Sounds like you're doing the right things it just takes time.
          sigpicAndre post run, and ready for more!
          Loki 7/2002-3/2013
          Clyde 3/2003-8/2013
          Andre ~5/2006
          Bob the cat

Comment

Fear phases aren't all that unusual for dane puppies. The best thing you can do is keep getting him out there, if only from a distance and do not console or encourage the behavior. If you have a steady dog available to you bringing them along can help immensly. I found back in the day when I got Gabe he was very scared of heavy set strangers and those with curly hair. Gus being the social butterfly he was would pave the way for Gabe to develop the courage to meet new people. It took a few months but he got past the majority of his fear.

Comment

I've found that when you are trying to introduce your Dane to a stranger it helps if that stranger has "your" smell on them. When someone wants to pet the puppy first take their hand in yours, so now they have your smell. Works, altho I've had a few people look oddly at me when I ask to hold their hand.

Dee
              sigpic

Comment

I agree...I think it's just a fearful stage. The biggest thing is it's okay for him to hide, just don't acknowledge his fear. Don't coddle him and coax him, just ignore the behavior...but...he does need to be able to escape and feel safe, which is behind you, if he needs to.

I would really try to carry high value treats with you everywhere...and each stranger he meets, he gets a treat from THE STRANGER.

Good luck!
                ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X