Ahhhh Poop!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhh Poop!

Hello all. I am new to the forums and this place is great!

I am having an issue with my 4 month old dane. He will eat and then it takes hours for him to have to go poop. With this type of situation, I am having great difficulty with the potty training because I don't know when he really needs to go. With all of my other dogs in the past, it would only take 10 minutes to half and hour but no more than that.

My question is: Is there a medical condition that could be causing it? He was recently diagnosed with roundworms and hookworms for which he is now being treated. Is there a possible link?

Any info from the more experienced would be helpful.

Thanks,
    James
    Once a dane lover, Always a dane lover.

sigpic

Generally round worms or hook worms will make them poo more. I would not really worry about it right now, you can try adding a tablespoon of pumkin to his food to help regulate him. Generally I bring out new dogs to my home very 30 minutes, for your puppy you can probably do it every 45mins-hour.
    ~Angela~
    sigpic

Comment

My seniors potty like clockwork right after eating. Silly Savannah goes when the spirit moves her.

What has worked for many (myself included) is teaching them to ring a bell when they have to potty. By doing so, it relieves you from having to guess when they have to go. They usually get it pretty quickly too.

We discussed teaching this on this thread: http://www.dolforum.com/forum/showth...highlight=bell

HTH!
      Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
      sigpic
      Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
      MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
      AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
      Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Yep...we taught Dori to speak at the door, and Toby started kicking the door on his own. No guessing there!

Luckily mine are like clockwork too....first thing in the am...and that's it...every once in a blue moon at night...

But I can remember them being irregular as pups...took awhile to get into a routine.
        ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

What helped my husband when house training Darwin was to write down what time he fed Darwin and then what time he pooped. After about 3 days, my husband figured out that Darwin's preferred routine was to eat, sleep for 2-3 hours and then go out.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I certainly appreciate all of the valuable information. I think that I'll try to write it down and get on his schedule rather than to force him onto mine. I guess that puppies are a little different no matter what the breed.

Thanks again,
            James
            Once a dane lover, Always a dane lover.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X