Leash Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leash Training

He is 8 weeks old and 23 lbs now and tryed walking him on his leash.
    Totally hates the thing , I have never had this problem with a dog before.
    Anyone have any suggestions that would help?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by badhabit; 03-01-2009, 11:57 AM.

hi i would not worry to much he is very young.my girl at 8 weeks did not like it either. i did not pull her i just waited for her to walk about a week later she understood and has been good ever since.also if you can find someone that has a dog you could walk that would also help him they always want to keep up with the other dog.

Comment

Use treats with the leash. Hold a high value treat at your side and walk a little, then treat, walk a little, then treat. And so on....

That will also help in teach heel.
      ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

just keep working at it

My girl had a problem with walking down the driveway while on the lead. I guess it was the incline. I took me about three months of daily work to where she is now. Hopefully you won't have to work as hard. The treats worked for me too except she got used to it and then wouldn't move for the treats either.

Comment

To get a pup used to the leash, I've always just put the leash on while we are in the house, letting him drag it around after himself. You need to watch so that the leash doesn't get hooked on anything or that he doesn't chew on it. I would just snap it on after breakfast in the morning and let him have it on for a couple hours. I wouldn't even touch it as far as trying to walk him with it on for the first couple days. When I felt the pup was really used to the leash being there hooked to his collar, I'd go ahead and pick up the other end and then just sit petting and loving on him.......seeing how he'd react to just a tiny bit of pressure. Usually, by allowing them to get used to the leash by it being attached to their collar and dragging it around the house for a couple days does the trick.......I found you could just pick up the other end and go for a walk after a couple days! It always worked for me. Just keep an eye on the pup while it has the leash on in the house........and if you are going out, take the leash off.
          sigpic

Comment

I attached Ben to me, like umbilical cord... That got him used to the leash and following me around.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the info .

Comment

Working...
              X