Obedience Class Questions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obedience Class Questions?

I've got a few questions about Obedience Classes...
    I know No two Classes will be alike, but would like your experiences and would like to know what to expect.
    -I'm just wondering what is the Usual Age most start Their Pups in them?
    I've heard 12weeks because this is when a lot get their pup's Rabies Vaccine, Have also heard 8weeks I believe to.
    -How Much was your Obedience Class?
    -How Many Weeks did it last?
    -What did you go over in the class?//What did they learn, Or Attempt to teach The Pups?
    -Are their Any Classes for Older Puppies/Dogs? or will I have to go through a Personal Trainer?

We Don't have a Petsmart anywhere near us, Our closest Classes will be held 15minutes away. The Trainer will be my Local Kennel Club President.
    The Biggest Thing about Obedience Classes to me is Socialization with other Dogs & Strangers, It would also be nice to learn a few Tips with Training maybe I didn't know. My Pup and I will Definitely be Attending Obedience Classes, I'm Very Excited about it!

Anyway, Any Information you can Offer About Obedience Classes Likes/Dislikes..What to Look for in A Trainer..What Not to have in a Trainer. I'm aware of "Positive Reinforcement" ONLY is the way to go, and has always been how we have trained our dogs. This Summer I will Be Taking a Course for Dog Obedience/Trainer, But that doesn't help Much lol since its Months Off.

Kelly - Wife to Eric, Mom to Noah.
    Xavier - 1 year old.
    RIP Jake - We miss you.
    Proverbs 12:10 A Righteous Man has Regard for the Life of his Animal.

I've been teaching puppy kindergarten classes for several years and think that it can be a great experience for puppies, if run properly. For our program, puppies must have at least 2 in the series of 3 puppy vaccinations (including parvo & distemper), but rabies is not required for the puppy-k class, so typically pups are between 10-12 weeks old when they start. They cannot be older than 20 weeks on the first day of class, because puppies go through important developmental periods, and beyond a certain age, efforts at socialization and teaching bite inhibition become much less effective. We want to be sure that all of the puppies in our classes are safe, and will have a positive experience.

Our class includes an introduction to basic obedience (sit, down, stand, stays, heeling, polite loose-leash walking, and various tricks), basic husbandry topics like diet, nail cutting & grooming, as well as typical puppy raising issues - bite inhibition, house & crate training, chewing & stealing, jumping, barking, digging, etc. We also provide periods of off-leash socialization so that the puppies get active, positive exposure to a variety of other dogs, and strange people. The class lasts for 6 weeks, meeting about 1 hour a week.

Once puppies go through our PuppyLove class, they can participate in our Manners Plus, which builds on the obedience, introduces them to the exercises that are part of the Canine Good Citizen test, introduces them to agility equipment (at puppy heights), rally exercises, etc. After this, we offer Performance Plus, which is a "levels" class, designed to accommodate dogs of all levels - novice, open, utility, etc. The levels class is for dogs going into competition obedience, or just for those who want to live with really reliable, well behaved dogs.

Whether you can find something like this depends on your locale. Our program is the longest running clicker training program in Florida with 30+ years of experience behind it. You may have to do some leg work and interview the trainers about their experience, follow up on references, etc. Not all programs are created equally, and often you do get what you pay for with training.
    "Positive does not equal permissive."

Comment

For months, I wrote down the name of every obediance referral given to me. Then, I made calls to them and asked them about training agenda. I crossed them off list if they sounded militant, harsh, or old-school. Some claimed totally positive but their agenda was old-school. (getting to know the temperment of my pup, I knew I couldn't accidentally pick the wrong obedience program. Many people I have talked to chose a random class only to drop out after a class or two due to unexpected aversives!)

We started puppy obedience around 15-16 weeks, I think.

We were all given a clicker, a folder with a series of helpful information, and a booklet from Patricia McConnell, "How to be the Leader of the Pack...and Have Your Dog Love You for it!" I knew I LOVED this instructor! We had a group meeting without our dogs so she could ask what our expectations were and talk about what our classes would be like.

We worked on eye contact, leash training, sit, stay, recall...

We played games like puppy in the middle, excitedly calling your pup from across the room to come, figure 8's on leash around chairs, ring around the rosie, and other baby-games. One at a time we would walk around the room and if other pups were polite we could stop and treat them.

It was fun and Dakota did well, although on graduation night she seemed to have forgotten everything!! LOL! The DP looked at me as if to say, Where in the h3ll do you go on Monday nights?? (if you hadn't noticed, we never do very well on those graduation things! LOL)

She was about 1 1/2 yrs old when we took a level 2 obedience at another location. (we should have done this sooner but I was layed up from an unexpected surgery) This class was pretty formal and there were a few things that "smelled" of old school but I politely would say, "No, I'm sorrry, we're taking a break", or "we're done for now", or take her out to pee even though she didn't have to go. Overall, we liked the class. Just don't do ANYTHING you are not comfortable with. There was one time I watched as 2 instructors tried to pull and push her to the ground because she refused to lay down and even though I said "enough" I was sorry I let them put their hands on her.

I'm tired...goodnight and good luck.
      June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
      RIP Dakota Blue Moon
      Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
      sigpic

Comment

I don't have loads of experience, but I have been a trainer with petsmart for the past 8 months and there's some things I will be looking for when I finally get my pup.

At petsmart puppy classes involve:

-watch me
        -sit
        -down
        -stay
        -Take it
        -leave it
        -drop it
        -socialization to people, dogs, and other animals
        -polite greetings
        -bite inhibition
        -potty training
        -nutrition
        -grooming
        -I also answer any/all questions to the best of my ability. Meaning, if I'm not sure I'll tell them I'll look into it and get back to them next week.

As far as what to look for, a big red light for me is training centers that won't let you watch/sit in on a class BEFORE you pay. What do they have to hide, and how much could you steal from just seeing one lesson?

I tell the people in my classes that they make the rules. If they don't want to teach their dog something to come up to me after class, explain to me why, and give me a chance to mold the cue to their situation. I've found that changing things slightly often fixes any issues they may have had. Usually they just misunderstood something I said to mean something else.

I do try to be clear, but you can't always explain it in a way everyone will understand. Esp if they can't hear you over a barking dog, lol!
        No danes yet, just cats.
        Visit my blog on what I've been reading and how to have well-mannered kitties at www.assortedbooking.blog.com

Comment

Originally posted by luvmyson View Post

Anyway, Any Information you can Offer About Obedience Classes Likes/Dislikes..
          There is a LOT of homework!

Comment

Thanks Everyone

I wish we had more Options around then just ONE Obedience Class...There is another place 30minutes away from me, but you Drop your dog off and they train it...Um No thanks! I've heard horror stories about it.
            I'm going to give the Instructor an email in a few, and talk about some things...Maybe he will let me sit in on a class...I know I am allowed to sit in on one of his Conformation classes, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind an Obedience Class. We will see!
            I'm really excited and I've got months to go till I am going to be getting my Pup. Still haven't decided on a Breeder, I'm currently talking to 2 right now.
            I'm pretty picky, Maybe its a bad thing lol..

Kelly - Wife to Eric, Mom to Noah.
            Xavier - 1 year old.
            RIP Jake - We miss you.
            Proverbs 12:10 A Righteous Man has Regard for the Life of his Animal.

Comment

Originally posted by luvmyson View Post
              I'm pretty picky, Maybe its a bad thing lol..
              Having worked with many poorly bred dogs with health and behavior problems, as well as dogs from ethical, concerned breeders who do health & temperament testing, and prove their lines through showing & participation in performance events, I can tell you - being picky can save you a lot of heart ache. This is not to say that I love my rescue dogs any less than my "pick of the litter" boy, but if you're going to bring home a dog from a breeder, it's worth it to be picky.
              "Positive does not equal permissive."

Comment

Working...
              X