Great Dane Rescue - we need sleep :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Dane Rescue - we need sleep :)

My husband and I rescued a year old ( 14 months now ) Great Dane, Dirk. He is beautiful, sweet, huge, clumsy and we are smitten. However, he simply doesn't sleep much at night. We walk him a couple of miles daily. He goes to bed around 10 and we let him out around 2-3am (he whines usually) and then he wants to get up at 4:45am when I get up to get ready for work. My husband stays up with him at night (I go to bed early) and he needs to be able to sleep a little later but Dirk will not go back to sleep. On the weekend I get up with him around 5am. We have let him whine for a couple hours and he doesn't give up and we worry he needs to pee. He is still not behaved well enough to sleep out of his crate. Suggestions? We are working on simple commands like sit, stay, heel, and come. He is doing very well but he is very excitable. We considered hiring a trainer or sending him to a trainer for a week... but am not sure how much of that stays with the dog when they come home. Advice needed.. will he calm down?

i answered in your other thread but i'll say it here, never EVER EVER send your dog away for training. there are way too many places who use training methods that are either antiquated or just plain mean. another thing is this...sending a dog away for training does nothing for YOU. if you aren't there during his training, you won't know how to follow up with commands he learns. your guy is still a puppy, just keep working with him and keep him exercised and mentally challenged with puzzle games, etc. if you feel you need help, i'd go with an in-home trainer but unless he is super uncooperative, you should be able to handle him yourself. it already sounds like you're giving him a good start!
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

http://www.wbrz.com/news/veteran-say...brink-of-death

https://www.11alive.com/article/life...6-9ac1d2b0ea38

~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

these stories are unbelievable! who just drops their dog off somewhere and then doesn't GO THERE to check on it especially when they don't get answers when they call?? i'm sorry but i find these kinds of owners either supremely stupid or very gullible. smh!!!
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Agree. It seems like it's just a lazy way of wanting something done that you could do yourself (even with guidance). I would never trust another person with my animals (even boarding places), unless it was family (and barely then! LOL).
          ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

sending away doesn't help your problem since it is you and your family and your home that the dog has ot learn to live in and have good manners in. I would never send any of my dogs away for training for the reasons Charlene and Sparrow said as well as teaching my dog to live in my house and not at the trainers.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
            X