Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overexcited 10 month old

Hello,
    we have a 10 month intact male, Boomer. We have been having quite a few issues with his overexcited behavior. FYI, heís been through 3 obedience classes, including canine good citizen and we have an all positive in home trainer coming to work with him 4 days a week starting in October, Iím just wondering if anyone has had the following issues with their Dane and suggestions on handling him. Even if you had these issues and the dog eventually improved with age and training.

1. He gets way too rough, usually in the evenings. When we let him in from outside sometimes he goes nuts! Jumping 3 feet into the air into my husband or I, heavy mouthing etc. We try to distract him with toys, Kongís etc but it starts right when he walks in the door. Itís hard to see that itís play when it seems so aggressive but once he calms down heís back to being his sweet self.

2. He gets way too excited when he sees young kids. We have 4 kids and he has always been the most rough with my 6 year old. Itís almost as though he sees him as a litter mate. We try to keep them separated when he is crazy and teach him to ignore him, but his natural reaction when the dog is crazy is to run away which makes it worse. When I tell him to just freeze, Boomer wonít stop right away and itís just too dangerous. So now when he sees any other younger kids, he wants to run over and play rough (mouthy, jumps). Heís much more calm around my 11 year old friends, though will still jump at times. We live by a school so lately Iíve been standing way back to just have him watch the kids and praise him for being calm.

3. I walk him 2+ miles per day to get rid of some extra energy but thatís getting tough to do. I basically have to avoid all dogs. Heís used to seeing people in their yards, mowing etc and usually doesnít pay much attention. I can usually get him to sit and be calm for a little bit when talking with strangers. They can pet him for a a little bit but then he starts feeling comfortable he gets mouthy, jumps. I am assuming this is playful behavior, he just has little impulse control and is so big so heís difficult to manage.

Weíve boarded him before and gets along with other bigger dogs that share is energy level. Iím afraid to take him to dog parks as he doesnít have any manners and I worry he would try to be too rough with the wrong dog.

He is so sweet when he is calm and does well in the crate so I really hope between much more training and him just maturing naturally things will improve.

Has as anyone had similar issues? How much of this craziness is related to his age?

Thanks!
    Debbie

Dog parks would be a BIG no...(they aren't good even with a well behaved dog since there are too many that have no manners and there are too many illnesses, injuries & parasites that can be passed) You have been through obedience classes, however did he learn there are consequences to his bad out of control behavior? Did you practice at home in all sorts of different places/distractions on a daily basis? What are you using for a training aid? (also as an AKC CGC evaluator I hope he did not get his CGC from his class) Dogs do what works for them, behavior is reward driven... His behavior is working well for him and he is being rewarded in some way for his bad behavior.. Distracting with toys, giving attention of any kind is rewarding the behavior.. NO attention of ANY kind when he is acting out..no, no toys, no eye contact... The behavior around kids really needs to be addressed... it would be wise to have your kids attend dog classes and training sessions so they can learn how to behave and what to do, everyone needs to be on the same page..
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

This is why we are having a trainer come to our home. He will train him in the actual situations we are having issues with. CGC is a great concept for him but when the class was 8 weeks with the same people, same dogs etc....his certification doesnít mean much and I completely understand that.
      We had an unfortunate situation with a Dane we rescued who wasnít properly socialized as a puppy and was very reactive towards children so she was rehomed through a Great Dane rescue to a much more appropriate home situation. It was one of the hardest things I have done but I just couldnít put kids at risk in my home. Because of that, I have been very careful to make sure to get him out in public, going to stores that allow dogs, being around a variety of people etc...We have used the clicker/high value treats as aids.
      CAn you give me more examples of the consequences for bad behavior? I learned about ignoring him during unwanted behavior but I feel what was trained focused so much on rewarding positive behavior and not as much on consequences. For example, what do you suggest we do when we let him back inside and he starts jumping and going nuts? We do turn around and ignore him and start walking back upstairs but then he just jumps at us as we walk away. I wouldnít mind putting him in his crate until he calms down but then will he associate his crate with being punished? And obviously he wouldnít walk willingly into his crate so Iím not sure how I would even get him in there. Do I bring a treat down with me and as soon as he comes in work on some obedience before he has a chance to jump?
      i definitely agree that everyone will need to be on the same page and I spend a lot of time reminding, teaching them proper, calm behavior around the dog. I donít want to make excuses but trying to control the behavior of 4 young kids has proven to be difficult. They will absolutely be present and involved with the in home trainer.

Comment

I personally as an evaluator don't believe in "CGC" classes... much prefer testing in a different location with other dogs, people, distractions Consequences for the over excited jumping behavior would be removing him from contact.. not necessarily a crate but rather a room, porch, etc and a time out for 10 -15 minutes..no attention at all ..Also when all 4 are on the floor and he is being polite a sit and then a treat (make sure he doesn't jump to get the treat.. butt on floor or nothing..) and a "good dog/boy".. as far as the kids go.. leash on for control, adult at the helm ...when you have a trainer in your home he needs to work with the family members as well as the dog... you are the ones the dog needs to respect and be polite with and you live with him. Right now the dog does not respect any of you and is calling all the shots.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
        X