8 week old Dane....whining in crate especially at night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 week old Dane....whining in crate especially at night

Yesterday we became the proud owners of our third Dane (well currently two as we recently had to put our first Dane down).... an 8 week old male Harlequin. With not being able to be home at all times of the day, I want his crate to obviously be his safe haven. The crate is HUGE so weíve sectioned it off so that he canít roam around in it. Itís too big to bring into our bedroom upstairs so we leave it downstairs in our living room where the temps are cooler so heís more comfortable. Last night he was up about every hour and a half to two hours whining / howling so of course I would get up to let him out. As soon as he would potty I would bring him inside and crate him again. Only thing is, as soon as I put him back in the crate, he would start whining again. So I laid in front of the crate until he fell asleep and I went back on the couch. Question is: by me laying in front of the crate until he falls back asleep a bad thing? And also if we sleep on the couch for a while with the idea he gets comfortable being in his crate with us being there, are we setting up something bad for when we try to leave him downstairs alone so we can sleep in our bed again?

Thank You!

sorry to hear of your loss. congrats on your new little family member.

i haven't crate trained a puppy in probably 45 years so i probably won't be much help. i'd start by covering the crate on the top and 3 sides to make it more like a "den" and you might try getting one of those old fashioned alarm clocks that has a loud tick tock. those are often comforting to a pup. where does your other dane sleep? instead of you sleeping on the couch, maybe put your other dane in the room with the puppy's crate.
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

You just got the puppy..an place for him and he is young. You can expect whining and crying for a few days... ignore it, don't call any kind of attention to it.. a stuffed toy can be comforting to him as well (be careful he doesn't chew it up though since it could pose a choking hazard.
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA
      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post
        sorry to hear of your loss. congrats on your new little family member.

i haven't crate trained a puppy in probably 45 years so i probably won't be much help. i'd start by covering the crate on the top and 3 sides to make it more like a "den" and you might try getting one of those old fashioned alarm clocks that has a loud tick tock. those are often comforting to a pup. where does your other dane sleep? instead of you sleeping on the couch, maybe put your other dane in the room with the puppy's crate.
        Thank you I appreciate it! Iíll start to make it seem more like a den. We have a radio in there that we leave on during the day for him....maybe Iíll start doing the same at night on a very low volume. Right now our other Dane sleeps in the room with us which is right down the hall from where the crate is in the spare bedroom.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
          You just got the puppy..an place for him and he is young. You can expect whining and crying for a few days... ignore it, don't call any kind of attention to it.. a stuffed toy can be comforting to him as well (be careful he doesn't chew it up though since it could pose a choking hazard.
          Iíll grab a stuffed toy. Right now Iím leaving a hoodie with my scent on it for him to lay on inside the crate and another shirt on the outside so he feels my scent out there too....as if I was laying there. So itís ok to leave him in the crate even when weíre home right? For instance Iím replying to this and eating and heís upstairs in the crate while my wife is showering / getting ready....

Thank You again!

Comment

the radio is a good idea. heck, my danes are all between 6 and 12.5 years old and i still leave the t.v. on for them while i'm gone.

and yes, it's ok to crate him when you're home. it helps lots with potty training. just don't close him in there for hours at a time, obviously. when he's a little older and his attention span is more than that of a gnat, you can also teach him "place", a spot in the room you spend most of your time in where he will learn to go lay down while you're eating or cooking or whatever else you're doing when you don't want him underfoot. my dogs know that when i say "basket", that means i don't wanna be tripping over them when i'm busy.
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene View Post
              the radio is a good idea. heck, my danes are all between 6 and 12.5 years old and i still leave the t.v. on for them while i'm gone.

and yes, it's ok to crate him when you're home. it helps lots with potty training. just don't close him in there for hours at a time, obviously. when he's a little older and his attention span is more than that of a gnat, you can also teach him "place", a spot in the room you spend most of your time in where he will learn to go lay down while you're eating or cooking or whatever else you're doing when you don't want him underfoot. my dogs know that when i say "basket", that means i don't wanna be tripping over them when i'm busy.
              Yeah whenever we are home and have him in the crate itís usually only 5-10 mins. If there was a tv in the spare bedroom I would definitely leave it on but I figured a little radio background noise would help.

Thanks again for the advice!

Comment

Only crate him at night and when he can't be supervised.. otherwise he should be out and about under watchful eye.
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA
                Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Had he ever been crated at all prior to you getting him? How did you introduce him to it? You want to make the association as positive as possible, so if you just stuff him in there and close the door he's going to think he's being punished. When we introduced our boy to his crate at 8 weeks, we opened both of the doors and let him explore at his own pace, giving him treats and lots of praise when he stayed in for any length of time. We gradually closed one door, then the other for short periods of time, making sure to give him lots of treats.

Do you still have contact with his parents' owners? If so, try to get a blanket or some stuffed toys with mom's/siblings' scent on it to put in the crate with him. We also bought a stuffed puppy on amazon that had an electronic device in it that simulated a heartbeat that we also rubbed all over mom, brothers and sisters before we took him home. I also agree with putting some blankets over it to make it his private space and keeping any kids or other pets out so he knows it's his.

Even with these things, consistency is key. Once he learns that you'll respond when he whines, he'll continue that behavior. At 8 weeks, he should be able to hold it for about 4-5 hours overnight. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting him in the crate when you're home; the more he's used to being in there, the better.

Of course every dog is different, but we got very lucky with our boy. First night in, he slept for a solid 4 hours and didn't whine at all and at almost 11 months, he still goes in the crate by himself during the day for naps and at night, he walks right in at bedtime.
                  Last edited by tonedef76; 08-07-2019, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
                    Only crate him at night and when he can't be supervised.. otherwise he should be out and about under watchful eye.
                    When weíre home heíís never in the crate for more than 10 mins because we have something to do that we canít watch him. Otherwise heís out and about

Comment

Originally posted by tonedef76 View Post
                      Had he ever been crated at all prior to you getting him? How did you introduce him to it? You want to make the association as positive as possible, so if you just stuff him in there and close the door he's going to think he's being punished. When we introduced our boy to his crate at 8 weeks, we opened both of the doors and let him explore at his own pace, giving him treats and lots of praise when he stayed in for any length of time. We gradually closed one door, then the other for short periods of time, making sure to give him lots of treats.

Do you still have contact with his parents' owners? If so, try to get a blanket or some stuffed toys with mom's/siblings' scent on it to put in the crate with him. We also bought a stuffed puppy on amazon that had an electronic device in it that simulated a heartbeat that we also rubbed all over mom, brothers and sisters before we took him home. I also agree with putting some blankets over it to make it his private space and keeping any kids or other pets out so he knows it's his.

Even with these things, consistency is key. Once he learns that you'll respond when he whines, he'll continue that behavior. At 8 weeks, he should be able to hold it for about 4-5 hours overnight. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting him in the crate when you're home; the more he's used to being in there, the better.

Of course every dog is different, but we got very lucky with our boy. First night in, he slept for a solid 4 hours and didn't whine at all and at almost 11 months, he still goes in the crate by himself during the day for naps and at night, he walks right in at bedtime.
                      I donít think he had ever been created prior to us getting him. Iíll try to bring him to it and let him go in and out of it by himself so he feels secure. I guess I never thought about that approach but Iíll give it a shot. Also a new stuffed animal is a must. Iím sure all his litter mates are gone to try and get a scent from it but trying to get him comfortable and feel safe with a stuffed animal might help a lot.

Thank You for all the advice

Comment

Working...
                      X