Learning her name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning her name

I have Neo, a 10-week old puppy who still doesn't respond to her name. I can't give her treats every time she looks at me because I have three other dogs who follow me mercilessly when I carry treats so that doesn't work. Housebreaking isn't going well, either, because of this. I go outside with treats and they all crowd around, but going outside with one dog is like trying to hold back the gates of Hell.

Neo just doesn't seem interested in responding to us much at all. If I clap my hands loudly she flinches but just doesn't seem to care to hear me. She does move her ear if I talk so I know it isn't deafness. That was a concern! She loves to cuddle, sleep on me, nibble me, play with me, etc., just not listen to me.

I'm working on short, frequent training sessions, but all she does is climb me for the treats or run away and play. She does do sit (when she doesn't fall over adorably as I move the treat over her head), but her name is just...not working.

Other training tips with three other dogs in the house? I crate them when I'm working with her so then they aren't a problem with the treats, but the minute I crate them, she's learned it is treat time and comes to climb me.

Thanks...
    Oceans Four
    Dani SassyPants-11-year-old Mini Dachshund (aka the Mastermind)
    Neo-Great Dane- born January 10th, 2019 (in training to be the Second Story Girl)
    Mayhem-3-year-old Weimaraner/Great Dane mix (aka the Muscle)
    Charlie-10-year-old Ratshire Terrier (aka the Lookout)
    1 untrainable husband who helps herd Oceans Four

Sad to say...the dogs all have you trained... You need to get this puppy into classes with a good trainer and you also need to become the leader of your pack at home... You have some bad habits going on.. I have 5 dogs... ranging in age from 20 months to 15 years. They MUST sit or perform some task before getting a treat... if they crowd or get grabby..no treat... if ask them to sit and they get up before released no treat... They also during training do not get a treat for every task performed... I work each dog individually on training with no other "family" dogs around.. Collar and leash is on the dog that I am training so they can't go off and ignore me during training sessions. Also with a puppy during house training TAKE out every 45 minutes to hour and keep out a reasonable amount of time If they don't go bring in, confine for 10 -15 minutes and TAKE out again.. I've been a trainer for over 40 years and am a multiple dog owner ..in addition to Danes I have German Shorthairs which are a very high energy breed and it takes dedication, consistency, persisitence and patience to train.. You are the leader, you call the shots NOT the dogs.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thanks. You are 100% correct. We aren't using a lead on her with training so will start that immediately.

We start puppy class on the 2nd which is why I'm so concerned about her not knowing her name. It's with an excellent behavioral trainer we've worked with extensively so I'm looking forward to the classes.

We will work on the house breaking hard as that's something critical.

Thanks for your advice, as always!!!!!
      Oceans Four
      Neo-Great Dane- born January 10th, 2019 (in training to be the Second Story Girl)

Comment

Hi Kahluadanes and Charlene!

I hope you both find and read this. I just wanted to give you an update after a few weeks! Neo has learned her name, or at least as well as I can expect of a 14 week old anyway (she has selective hearing sometimes), and is doing very well in training classes. We've socialized her extensively, including a potluck at my office, visits to puppy play time at the pet store, and all sorts of family and friend visits. She's turning into an excellent, calm, well-behaved dog. We train on basics, and while potty training isn't perfect, it has definitely improved. I know I can't expect perfection from a 14 week old nor do I.

Our issue now is moving her into a big crate and pottying in there. That was our fault as she outgrew the little one we had her in. We modified the big one today to make it a smaller space so we'll find out tonight if it helps. She wasn't going potty in her little crate, but started in the big one as soon as she moved in. We hope this modification helps.

Anyway, just wanted to share a few successes as my first few weeks with Neo were fraught with me panicking on here. You two were awesome to help me and I appreciate it. I'm sure more will come but just thought I'd share something fun!

Thanks again!

Cam

Oceans Four

Comment

hi cam, soooo happy to hear things are improving and thank you for the update!!! it gets frustrating to give advice to people and then never hear from them again. always makes me wonder if they just gave up. glad to see you are being successful!!

as for pottying in the crate, this is almost always 100% because there is too much room. making the crate smaller by dividing it will make a huge difference as she won't want to potty where she sleeps. IF this continues, take up her water before bedtime and make sure she empties her bladder right before she goes down for the night. the only other thing that could be at fault is a urinary tract infection so if all else fails, have her checked for that.

congrats on your success!!!
          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Thank for the update...Glad things are going better for you.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
            X