Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stickies and a book

Hi!

I have a new pup coming home and frankly, the stickies I want to look at are asking for a security download. The one with the book recommendations I can read, but it is mostly recommending books that teach with clickers, and frankly, I am terrible with them. I have three other dogs and I will admit, they are all sort of oafish when it comes to obedience, probably because I can't keep it straight when using a clicker.

My stupid question of the hour is asking for a puppy book recommendation. One to teach basics such as housebreaking (because that's a sticky I can't get into without the download) as well as how to cope with separation anxiety, teaching proper puppy manners at proper times, vaccines, etc., all the things I really need to know right now? I'm not unskilled with training, but knowing when to teach what with a puppy is new to me. I've always had rescues who had very different needs as well as being different breeds.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've had a Dane before but she was very different than what I'm getting now. I want this to go as best as it can.

Thanks,

Cam

Oceans Four
    Dani SassyPants-11-year-old Mini Dachshund (aka the Mastermind)
    Neo-Great Dane- born January 10th, 2019 (in training to be the Second Story Girl)
    Mayhem-3-year-old Weimaraner/Great Dane mix (aka the Muscle)
    Charlie-10-year-old Ratshire Terrier (aka the Lookout)
    1 untrainable husband who helps herd Oceans Four

House training: Start by taking out every half hour to 45 minutes, after eating, after naps, after play time.... TAKE out don't just put out...if pup doesn't go in a reasonable amount of time take back in and confine for 10 -15 minutes and then TAKE back out.. always, always praise lavishly when they go in the correct place....also never correct/punish for mistakes...they will happen. Crate train...this is invaluable for times when puppy can't be supervised, for a safe haven for the pup when needed, etc.. there should be no reason you have separation anxiety issues if you start off putting pup in his crate and leaving without fanfare , make crate time a positive experience... they may cry and fuss at first but IGNORE it..do NOT give attention to it, doing so will set pup up for failure and for issues later on. Obedience training starts the first day the pup enters your home, never let your puppy do anything you wouldn't want a 100 pound plus dog doing. Get into good classes with a good trainer asap.Training at home is a must but getting out in a group, learning to behave in distraction, with other people, new surroundings, with other people is an absolute must as well and is also important for proper socialization.. Food is also important.. when feeding a puppy you need to be careful.. watch the calcium/phosphorous levels.. too high and they can cause serious growth issues.A good quality puppy food with a named meat/meat meal source as at least the first 2-4 ingredients and calcium at 1.2 and phosphorous at .08 is ideal. Vaccines should be done on a timely manner but not over done. .Don't do too many vaccines at once. NEVER do a rabies vaccine at the same time as any other vaccine... if at all possible wait until your puppy is at least 6 months old before giving rabies..Do not bring your puppy home under 8 weeks of age. Make sure the breeder is a responsible one..that they do health testing on parents BEFORE breeding (not simple vet exams but OFA/PennHip on hips, OFA heart & thyroid and OFA/CERF eyes) and can offer proof and that they breed to breed standard.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

If you are getting your pup from a responsible breeder they can offer you a lot of great info and will stand behind the pups they produce and sell.
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA

Comment

Thanks SO MUCH for the advice!

The breeder is being very helpful, too...I just like books and something I can refer to in the middle of the night when I'm panicking that I'm doing it wrong. We purchased a "dog soother" with a heartbeat and heater pack in it to help in the crate, so hoping it will help. The breeder is recommending Victor Professional in the purple bag so we've got it in-house already ready to go for our new baby (she's coming home on the 7th). We feed our other dogs Chicken Soup for the Soul, but I think we'll keep Neo on Victor to keep her tummy happy. I've been reading everything I can on here, too, about puppies. I've already got hard chew toys, her harness and seat belt, collar, name tag, and I know to keep an eye on the puppy soother in case she chews on it because frankly, my other three can't be trusted around soft toys so we don't even have them in the house. She's even got a baby Kong of her own that will graduate to the mini Dachshund once Neo outgrows it.

Our previous Dane had behavioral concerns that were unable to be dealt with so we already have a trainer ready for Neo and will start classes as soon as feasible with the vaccination schedule. I just am so nervous about doing it right so we don't have another behavioral concern on our hands as our previous issue was awful. I'm not expecting it, as Chaos (our previous Dane), came with many of her issues, but still want to prevent what I can. I know I have to relax, though, too.

Thanks again. I know the experienced Dane owners must get frustrated with us newbies, always asking the same questions! We all appreciate your experience, though. I know I certainly do!

Cam

Oceans Four
        Neo-Great Dane- born January 10th, 2019 (in training to be the Second Story Girl)

Comment

this is a wonderful book!

https://www.amazon.com/Before-After-...s%2C260&sr=8-1

don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think we've seen them all a hundred times. we'd rather repeat ourselves than have something go wrong because you were afraid to ask!!
          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Victor is a good food however be careful of the calcium/phosphorous levels.. Chicken Soup is a very good food.. The puppy formula is in safe levels for calcium/phosphorous. If you wish to switch simply do so slowly over 10 -14 days. Keep the puppy on the food from the breeder for 3-4 weeks before starting a slow switch.
            I have fed both Victor and Chicken Soup. Currently have my crew on the chicken Soup. As Charlene said don't be afraid to ask questions...we are here to help. I would contact the company concerning the calcium/phosphorous levels in the Victor... it is not listed.. Also the calorie content is high..so be careful.
            Last edited by kahluadanes; 02-27-2019, 09:27 AM.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

Thanks for the book suggestion and the food information! I admit I found the calcium/phos ratio on the Victor website to be concerning so probably will switch sooner rather than later. It's 1.58/1.10. I don't really understand calorie content for puppies yet, but know it shouldn't be too high. I did a lot of research on ingredients when I chose Chicken Soup and really liked the first four ingredients of Chicken Soup so will probably go back to it.

As always, thanks for the help!

Oceans Four

Comment

Working...
              X