first time dane owner!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time dane owner!!

I recently purchased my first Great Dane puppy !! His name is buck and I believe him to be a harl headed white. This , was by no means planned. I never intended to purchase a great dance puppy much less a male Great Dane puppy being 5 feet tall and female , but I just fell deeply in love and took the risk. I do plan on having him neutered when he's of an appropriate age. I try to not stay misinformed for very long so I read a few books on the breed and suggested training methods..all very different and has caused indecisiveness. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on methods that have worked. If I can id like to avoid using a prong collar would like to , but id still like to be respected. Buck is currently 3 months old and id like to start him on training. Im currently feeding Holistic select large and giant breed puppy. I do add salmon oil to his food and an allergy supplement, my vet said being that he's mostly white he has allergies. Im feeding him on a elevated food dish to prevent bloat and a slow feeder 6 cups a day. He is currently being crate trained. he sleeps through every night which is wonderful and is over all...extremely mellow. Buck has a very low to moderate energy level ..mostly low which sometimes worries me. Im trying to leash train him but he likes to walk on his own time ..for how ever long he would like. Buck will calapse mid walk as if he's walked a marathon ,and we are only walking a few circles in my backyard. I had him checked he's perfectly healthy. Buck is stubborn does not like to come out his cage but intelligent and I know he's just giving me a hard time. I would like to know how to go about correcting such behavior and any other advice!! thank you

Hi and welcome... Harle headed white? there is no such color..Do you mean he has a solid black head and a solid white body or mostly white body? Rest assured if measured correctly he is not 5' tall ..measuring is done with a dog standing squarely on all 4 feet on the ground and measured from ground to withers.... He is too young at this point for a prong or any other type of training aid... a regular collar or a martingale collar is what you need at this point.. It takes a bit to get use to a collar and leash especially at this young age.. I really suggest you get into a good group class especially since this is your first Dane.. what you will learn along with your pup will be invaluable. if feeding from raised dishes make sure they aren't any higher then the elbows.. raised too high actually increases the risk of bloat. He isn't just giving you a hard time..he is being a puppy and needs to learn what is expected.. positive gentle teaching is what is needed..consistency, persistence and patience and practice... lots of treats and praise from good behavior/desired behavior. Also another note.. just because he has a lot of white does not mean by any stretch that he has or is going to have allergies.. plus at this age he is a little bit to young to be having them... it is best not to be adding any kind of "allergy supplement" unless he is actually having an allergy issue. It sounds like your vet may be a bit misinformed and not use to having Danes as a patient. Also your pup should be lean with the last 2-3 ribs just barely visible.. He should not be chunky at all. Wait until he is at least 6 months old before doing a rabies vaccine (later if possible) and never at the same time as any other vaccine. Do not neuter until he is at least 18 months old.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

I also have my first Dane
      he is 13 weeks today and weighs 38 lbs! Iíd like to follow this feed to get any and all advice as well as my boy has peeing issues and just walks around and pees everywhere!
      But he definitely has energy which seems strange with yours just collapsing ? Curious to hear more
      thanks

Comment

Yes Iíve been trying to find out what he is on a few forums and breed sites heís pretty much all white with a few grey spots only his ears ,face , and nose so I guess technically he doesnít count as a blue. Iíve had other large breed dogs but itís completely different with this one behavior wise. The allergy medicine is just supposed to be until his paws heal up because heís chewed them up pretty bad
        ​ . I donít think my vet does gets many Great Danes actually. I donít think Iíve ever seen more then two near where I live. He is I think about 30 pounds and Iíve already had people asking if Iíve been feeding him correctly I havenít listened because Iím scared of him having bone problems later. Iíve been trying to follow the breed specific feeding guide . Are treats the better option for training Danes? Is there anyoneís you recommend for a bit of a finicky eater ? Iíve offered treats but he likes to spit them out and walk away. His feeding dish is adjustable and is a tiny bit over his knees I moved it a bit down so itís just barely hovering hovering above the ground thank you!! oh any my vet has me giving him almost a Benadryl minusThe drowsiness . Iíve tried to upload an attachment so maybe you can get a look by it doesnít seem to be working heís my profile photo. And yes he sure does collapse!! it doesnít seem to be out of sickness though. It looks like a I donít wanna do this anymore collapse a rub my belly and give me attention so I donít have to walk collapse he just rolls on his back and looks up at me. We have had some accidents but itís very rare because he will just walk outside go potty and come back in. When it has happened itís completely my fault I play around with him and loose track of time and before I know it heís popped a squat in my living room. He has a very moderate energy Iíve never had a Dane my last pup was a Doberman many years ago and it was VERY different energy levels.

Comment

Sounds like he's a piebald with harl (instead of black). I found the term "harl headed white" on a few breeders pages, but they also say its a variation of Piebald.
          Last edited by Sparrow; 02-10-2019, 01:26 PM.
          ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I googled some images and there's a lot of danes that look similar to my buck, thank you. I've been wondering what in the world to call his color variation.

Comment

If he has "grey/blue spots and not black then it is merle not harle and it does sound like a piebald.... as far as pictures of colors ..well ...with the high amount of irresponsible breeders and mismarks/off colors take it with a grain of salt.. A Dane pup should not have forced exercise until full growth has taken place. Short walks only and just regular puppy play. As far as feeding the food needs to be the correct calcium/phosphorous levels and you need to make sure not to over feed. He should be a nice healthy lean never chunky. The last 2-3 ribs should just be barely visible. Treats can be anything chicken, liver, string cheese, pieces of hot dog, kix cereal, cheerios, ..treats should be only pea size not big pieces. There are several good commercial treats out there.. Fresh Pet , Three Dog Bakery, Mother Hubbard among several others.
              sigpic
              Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
              Associate Member GDCNE
              Member GSPCA
              Member NAVHDA

Comment

Thank you I got finally his papers in mail and he is a blue piebald!! The treats really helped me on getting buck to understand , I thank you. Now does anyone have a good recommendation on good toys that are VERY hard to break. Ive bought buck quite a lot of chew toys of different variations so I could see his preference, however I've found that buck can't handle any of the toys that are a soft material as he will break and try and eat them. Buck does not like the kong toys even if I try and sweeten the deal with the puppy peanut butter or meats and treats. Ive been using the toys to redirect buck away from my furniture to prevent his mouthy curiosity when I have him out. Toys have been working great I just want them to last a bit longer ,I've already thrown out 6 mangled stuffed dog toys. A concern I have is that he won't be abled to pass the fluff. Now I want to get into where I live and some of the very common dangers I've seen many lose animals to. I live in south Florida near the glades and we have a lot of toads, snakes, iguanas ,and alligators..pretty much you name it . Its VERY important that I teach buck to back up very quickly when necessary because he can and will get hurt. Now I've heard of the command leave it and tried to teach buck ,but he has a very curious nose and all it takes is a lick on toad and he'd be foaming and dripping out the mouth and id spend a long sad night at the vet. Any recommendations will be very helpful to me. thank you

Comment

Curious or not he needs to respond to "leave it".. it takes consistency, persistence and patience to teach any command.. The recall (come) and leave it are probably 2 of the most important commands you can teach your dog.. both can be life savers and both commands need to be enforced and need to be followed by the dog 100% of the time given. During training NEVER give a command that you can't enforce immediately..I highly recommend you get in a good class with a good trainer..it will be invaluable to you both.... As far as toys go many puppies can't do stuffies.. Souper Nylabones are a good choice as are raw meaty bones of an appropriate size for a growing Dane... Interactive toys are also good choices... Always supervise when playing.
                  sigpic
                  Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                  Associate Member GDCNE
                  Member GSPCA
                  Member NAVHDA

Comment

Working...
                  X