Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

Hello, I have a 18 month old male dane (neutered) and a 15 month old male dane (neutered) and a 3 year old Italian Greyhound. Last Spring, when Tucker(older dane) got fixed, Goose (younger dane) started to growl at him, stalk him and scare him completely. I kept them separate and after Goose got fixed I attempted to reintroduce and it was unsuccessful(almost a fight). Three weeks ago, they came into contact accidentally and almost a fight. This past week we had a fight which led to to Goose getting 3 staples(minor overall given circumstances). Tucker appears to be the aggressor. I called a trainer in and we will be working with him, he said Tucker has a strong prey drive. I can see that, he startles easy, he is very excited about catch(Goose not so much) and when bikes and motorcycles go by he used to lunge but is better now. I REALLY want to acclimate them again. They are separated by a gate and they FREQUENTLY (2-3 times a day) go over to each other, tail wagging, kiss each other etc. But seem to have REAL struggles when in the same room with no separation. We currently switch them out multiple times a day so they can be with us, but its exhausting and I think on some level they want to figure this out.
    Anyone have success with something similar? I cannot imagine not having both of them. The Italian Greyhound is fine with both of them, in fact he appears to be in charge.

Thanks so much

Have you consulted with a behaviorist? If not I highly recommend that you do.. They can be of tremendous help and can help you and the trainerwith the issues
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

In addition to the behaviorist, I tried something with my parent's dog and a new chihuahua they were considering adopting. Their male was not at all a fan of other dogs. The female they were looking at couldn't have cared less about him, but she also didn't take any of his crud. Something that worked for us was walking the dogs on opposite sides of the street. It's a pack activity, fostered togetherness, but the dogs were still more than enough space apart to prevent any damage. There was a lot of trying to cross over, trying to sniff, etc, but we just kept them moving, not allowing for stoppages. We were WALKING, and we were doing it as a pack (new chi's owner, my parents, their dog, new chi, and myself). We repeated the exercise again a week later with each dog still living in their original homes, and by the end of that second session, Nelson had calmed down enough that he and the new gal were able to ride home together. It took them a while, but now they'll share beds, too.

I love the EZYDog leashes for Danes, because it makes it super easy to keep very tight grip and control, which on a giant breed, is super useful. Bummer is, this would definitely require two people to try. It may work, it may not. But I think getting them together, with the only physical barrier being distance, and out doing something, might start helping you get in the right direction, assuming they're calm enough to even get started walking. You probably have a better grasp on that than anyone on the internet would. You could always start with short walks, then slowly work your way up to longer ones, adjusting distance if the behaviorist and the dogs themselves allow. It's not a quick solution, but an idea.
      Momma to: Naomi - black Dane, now a sky angel
      Soon-to-be Mommy to: Kyla - blue Dane

Comment

Thanks. Yes we have a behaviorist. Tucker has had some medical stuff too, I am going to get a blood panel and have his eyes checked. He has deep sockets and it always having getting goopy stuff in it, so I want to make sure his sight isn't causing stress.

I think the walking on the street is a good idea. Part of me wants to muzzle him, but part of me wants to see if we can do it without so he feels safe too. He is such a loveable guy, but he is more complex than any other dane I have had when it comes to other dogs...

Comment

If there's ever a doubt, opt toward safety. These are huge dogs. Loss of control could be a darting squirrel away.

That said, ensure proper muzzle training, fit, and acclimation. The muzzle shouldn't seem like a bad thing or a punishment to the dog.
          Momma to: Naomi - black Dane, now a sky angel
          Soon-to-be Mommy to: Kyla - blue Dane

Comment

Working...
          X