Potty issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potty issues

Hi! I’m a new Dane mama. Our boy is 14 weeks and we’re currently trying to potty train him. The issue I’m having is he does fine when we take him in the vehicle with us and will potty outdoors when we stop and get out of the car but he refuses to potty outside at home. I’ve gotten him to successfully pee outside at home once. Every time I take him out he’s fine for a few minutes then he starts squealing, barking and throwing his head from side to side( like a toddler having a tantrum). Any advice on how to work this out? I would greatly appreciate any help you can give. Thanks all.
    *Nikki*
    Mom to 3 girls: K(12), A(9) & A(7)Wife to T since 2006
    Binx(7 y/o Black kitty)
    Mist(7 y/o Savannah)
    Morningstar(2 y/o white domestic longhair cat)
    Pippin(1 y/o Lynxpoint Siamese)
    Achilles(14 week old Great Dane)

welcome to DOL and congrats on becoming a dane momma! need a little more information from you...

so, if he isn't peeing outside, does this mean he's peeing in the house? what about pooping, will he do that outside? if he's pottying in the house, does he ever throw one of these tantrums? when was his last vet check up?
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Yes, he’s pottying inside. He doesn’t throw a fit when he potty’s inside. His last vet check was at 10 weeks old. He only throws the tantrums when I take him out at home. Idk if it’s bc we live in Indiana and it’s cold right now or what. He seems to go better when he can see other family members too. He’s already very attached to my three daughters so he wants them outside when he potty’s or he tries to find them. He was not leash trained at all when we got him but he’s doing pretty good with that.
      *Nikki*
      Binx(7 y/o Black kitty)
      Mist(7 y/o Savannah)

Comment

From your posts this is what I'm seeing.... he's got your number... he is being rewarded for his "tantrum" and knows it... Dogs do what works for them and behavior is reward driven no matter what you are training for or trying to stop... You need to take him outside and keep him out (regardless of tantrum) until he goes and reward lavishly when he goes in the desired place... When he has an accident pick it up no fanfare, no attention and you can take it out and stake it where you want him to go.. as far as tantrums give absolutely NO attention to them no verbal, no eye contact, no touching, no bringing him back in... nothing!!! Do not play into his tantrum no matter when he has them.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Yeah, I usually just give in and take him in because he whines and barks so loud that I don’t want to wake the neighbors. Thanks for your advice, I will give it a go and see how it works out.
          *Nikki*
          Binx(7 y/o Black kitty)
          Mist(7 y/o Savannah)

Comment

I tried what you said and just ignored him when he started whining outside and it worked! He pottied outside so I made a big deal about it and gave him a special treat when we came back in! Thanks for the advice.
            *Nikki*
            Binx(7 y/o Black kitty)
            Mist(7 y/o Savannah)

Comment

Remember it won't happen overnight and will take consistency, persistence and patience..
              sigpic
              Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
              Associate Member GDCNE
              Member GSPCA
              Member NAVHDA
              Member Central Maine Kennel Club
              High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

He’s doing so well, no accidents thru the night and he pottied outside with no whining or tantrums. I think he’s almost got the hang of it.
                *Nikki*
                Binx(7 y/o Black kitty)
                Mist(7 y/o Savannah)

Comment

Working...
                X