Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6mo Dane - Urinating in Crate

Hello!

I have a Great Dane pup, almost 6 months old and I'm a little frustrated with his recent backslide when it comes to urinating. Marshall did wonderful with crate training at first. I got him at 9 weeks and immediately started the usual; making him comfortable with being crated, a schedule for food/water and walks. Over the last month or so however, he's started urinating in his crate. At first I thought we were not walking him regularly enough, so I upped the number of walks during the day (I work from home, but it's fast paced so I can't always keep an eye on him so the crate is really essential) from 4-5 to 6-8. This didn't help at all. He'll walk outside, have a pee and everything and then come back inside and immediately urinate in his crate and then lay in it. He rarely has accidents in the house (maybe 1 or 2 a week). I'm just not sure how to get Marshall back into the mentality that the crate is his sleeping space and not a toilet, lol. He's a sweet and very trainable boy, and I would love some advice to get past this hiccup so we can get back to enjoying our time with him, rather than giving him 47 baths a week, lol. Appreciate any insight and advice, thank you!

Amanda

Since this is a new behavior it is important to check with the vet and rule out medical causes.. UTI can be fairly common at this age.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
      Since this is a new behavior it is important to check with the vet and rule out medical causes.. UTI can be fairly common at this age.
      That was actually just done this past weekend, sorry I should have included that in my initial post. He got a clean bill of health from the vet, and checked for a UTI and it came back negative. The only thing our doc mentioned was that he needs to put on a little weight as he just had a growth spurt and was looking a little on the thin side.

My main concern is it might be anxiety or stress, but I'm not sure what could be causing it. Our household is pretty mellow, we have a 2 year old husky which Marshall borderline hero-worships lol. They play well together with a very rare/occasional warning nip from Jupiter when he's aggravating her. Our cats tolerate his presence really well, also. My hubs thinks he's just acting out because he doesn't want to be kenneled, but it's seems odd to me that a dog would have a spiteful reaction like that.

Comment

Dogs don't usually have "spiteful" reactions... Has routine changed? Is crate too big? Also even if he does pee outside he may not entirely finish.. puppies often get distracted... Go back to square one and take him out more often... As far as being thin...if his spine & hips don't show he is fine.. A Dane pup should be lean ..the last 2-3 ribs should be just visible.. They should never be chunky.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
          Dogs don't usually have "spiteful" reactions... Has routine changed? Is crate too big? Also even if he does pee outside he may not entirely finish.. puppies often get distracted... Go back to square one and take him out more often... As far as being thin...if his spine & hips don't show he is fine.. A Dane pup should be lean ..the last 2-3 ribs should be just visible.. They should never be chunky.
          That is more or less what I thought, as well. From everything I've read and experienced with previous pets, dogs don't tend to be wired for emotions like spite. His routine hasn't changed much, there was a week of travel before this all started but he and Jupiter came with us. His hips were just a bit visible, and his ribs you can feel really easily through his fur. He's just hit the 50lbs mark, which our vet said was a little light for his age. I will give going back to the basics a try, and I appreciate your response to my post, thank you!

Comment

50 pounds may or may not be a bit light for his age.. it all depends on lines..some lines grow quicker and heavier than others... I would not be at all concerned about weight.. it is only a number.. As long as he is growing at a nice slow pace, eating good, has good energy and is a nice lean muscled body condition there should be no worries.. A Dane should be lean and have slow steady growth.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

Working...
            X