Nipping, growling, barking @ 13w

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nipping, growling, barking @ 13w

So I have a 4yr old son and a 10mo old son. My 13W old Dane is fine around the baby. Only kisses him. With the 4yr old it's a different story. I would say she's about 80% ok with me and my husband. The issue becomes that anytime I try to correct her, firm "no" she doesn't listen. Trying to get her attention does nothing. She just continues lunging and nipping my son. He has learned to put his hands up and irgnore her but that's hard for a 4yr old that is being attacked. Her bite inhibition is good since she never actually leaves a mark on him but that's not the point. I don't want her mouthing any of us at all! A couple times I was worried since my son began screaming so I grabbed her quickly off him and told her to sit. She did sit but than proceeded to growl and nip at any part of my body she could get! Now anytime I tell her no when she is in a wild mood, she growls, barks and lunges at my face! I know week 13-16 starts the whole "who's the boss" phase but I'm starting to wonder if I should worry about aggression and get a professional involved! This isn't my first puppy, but my first Great Dane so just looking for some thought. With two kids, you start thinking worst case scenario first!!!!

She is a puppy, she is doing what comes natural for a puppy... she needs teaching... small children are fast moving, loud, etc and can over stimulate a puppy and put them into hyper play mode. When she acts like that simply pick her up, no acknowledgment and remove her from the area, take her to a time out area for 5-10 minutes where she can quietly be by herself and calm down.. I also suggest getting her into a good obedience class. Dogs do what works for them, behavior is reward driven.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

What age did you get her? The longer she is with her littermates, the more she learns that biting hurts. That's why dogs who are taken at 7weeks or earlier tend to have a problem with biting. I don't think you need to be worried about aggression yet. She seems to be just doing puppy things like Kahlua said. However consistency is key. Yelping when she bites, ignoring, stopping playtime. That means every single time she mouths even though it may be difficult. You'll probably be doing it back-to-back at first until she starts to get the idea.

Comment

Thank you both for your reply. She's been getting a little better. I got her at 8 weeks and I have a 7 year old boxer that has been teaching her also. My boxer was extremely mouthy as a puppy. A lot worse than the Dane but with kids, I guess I'm looking at it differently this time around. My biggest issue is when you ignore her, etc. she growls, barks and lunges. Yes she is a puppy, yes she is still learning, her nipping hasn't broken skin on anyone but I'm more worried that her size will outgrow her mouthing lol! With the boxer we used the "close their mouth until calm" method and it worked great. I'm afraid to go that route this time since I've read dane's are very sensitive. I'm looking into professional trainers just to make sure she is fully trained the right way regardless.

Comment

Danes can be sensitive but it doesn't mean they can't have the same training methods applied to them that would be applied with any breed/mix of dog... because of their size it is extremely important that they be trained and learned manners as early as possible. Danes also aren't the "fragile wall flowers" they are often made out to be... They were bred for hunting and as estate dogs..
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
          X