Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six year old getting aggressive

HI Everyone,

My Great Dane is six years old now and was born with poor conformation in her hind end. She's losing strength in one of her legs and having some difficulty getting on the couch and getting up off the ground, with one leg slipping. So I'm monitoring the hind end weakness. At the same time, she's getting aggressive and has initiated two dog fights with her life-long companion - my 8 year old German Shepherd. These two have lived together previously with no problems but now I worry. She's been on Dasuquin. Has anyone dealt with hind end weakness and have any advice? How about the aggression coming from older-age?? Thanks for your suggestions - I'm at a loss here:-(

Sometimes aggressiveness can be caused by a low thyroid. I would have that checked. My other thought is that is comes from her being in pain.

Comment

Sorry you're going through this. My first thought was pain (German Shepherd bumped her, hurt her and now she's super defensive), but checking out her thyroid is a good idea. Also, dogs are sometimes very intolerant of weakness in their peers, so your shepherd's behavior towards her may have subtly changed in light of her weakness.
      sigpicLisa
      Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

I would get a full blood work up done especially thyroid... in addition I would check on pain management. Have the vet give you an anti-inflammatory to help with pain as needed... Use Dasuquin Advanced and add fish oil and vit C to her diet..
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thanks everyone - spoke with the vet and think her arthritis, knee/leg weakness is causing the aggression from the pain. I'm giving her some pain meds along with a new anti-inflammatory called Galliprant - Do any of you have experience with this alternate to Rimadyl? She seems calmer in the last 48 hours but I do worry about her strength in her right hind leg/knee.

Comment

Working...
          X