Training my labradane puppy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training my labradane puppy

We just got our labradane puppy 2 weeks ago.
    He is now 10 weeks old. My questions are; why does he come in after being outside for at least 20 minutes and pee or poop on my carpet?
    Also he barks and cries when i leave his sight, even if its just a few seconds? He does fairly well with his crate and is great at walking on a leash.
    The people we got him from said they were working on potty training but, as we stood there 1 of my puppys littermates peed on the carpet. We told them that and they just said " oh". They didnt clean the spot or remove the puppy. Ive been trying to break these habits but im getting frustrated! Please help!!

You need to TAKE him out (not just put him out) every half hour to 45 minutes.. you need to allow a reasonable amount of time for him to go... if after reasonable time he doesn't go bring him in, confine him in his crate for 10 -15 minutes and then take him back outside.. Puppies get distracted easily and "forget" what they went out for, even if they do go many times they don't finish and then suddenly they need to go and go now... He is a young puppy..he is not able as of yet to control himself .... it isn't a "habit" that needs to be broken it is a normal thing that needs patience and training and consistency. At his age he should not have free run of the house.. As far as the crying/barking do NOT acknowledge it in any way... no attention at all when he does this until he is quiet and has been quiet for at least 5- 10 minutes.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So should i crate him even if im just watching tv? Ive also read to put him on his leash and tether him to something, Rhis makes him cry and whine and pull on his leash to get away. Sorry to be such a bother but its been over 20 years since ive had a dog. Back then it was old school training. Spanking rubbing their nose in it etc. I just want a polite dog and 1 that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogi's Mom View Post
        Thanks for the reply. So should i crate him even if im just watching tv? Ive also read to put him on his leash and tether him to something, Rhis makes him cry and whine and pull on his leash to get away. Sorry to be such a bother but its been over 20 years since ive had a dog. Back then it was old school training. Spanking rubbing their nose in it etc. I just want a polite dog and 1 that listens.
        Thankfully the "old school" methods have been thrown by the wayside.. they created more issues than they ever solved and more often trained out of fear than having the dog actually learn and be happy to learn.. The tether method (which means to tether him to you so you can supervise) is used with success by many people... I would not tie a young puppy to any object.. I also recommend that you look into obedience classes.. he is at the right age to get him started... while it is about obedience it is also about socializing, having your dog learn to listen no matter the distraction.. great thing for all puppies/dogs.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

Hi there, i have another question. When im outside with my puppy working on his training,
            i cant get him to return to me. If i try to go pick him up he runs from me as in playing a game.
            I walk after to to catch him and he still runs.
            Should i be using treats to have him come back
            or just wait until he comes back? Also hes still pottying in the house. Otherwise he's not doing too bad in listening. Thanks

Comment

You have to figure out how to make coming back to you the best, most wonderful, greatest thing on Earth to your puppy. It has to be more rewarding than anything else. So yes, use treats, toys, play, praise, lay on the ground (they can't resist that!) run the opposite way, etc. Also, once you get him coming to you for spectacular puppy reward, you need to let him go play again. This is very important! If you only call (or bribe, in the beginning) your dog to you and then stop all his fun every time he comes to you, you will very quickly train him to avoid coming to you. Makes sense? Obviously, sometimes when you call and he comes, you will have to go inside or whatever, but make this rewarding, too. Perhaps have a very special treat once you come inside, like a little dab of cream cheese.

If he's still pottying in the house, you need to take him out more often. Maybe every 20 minutes at first! Yes, that's hard but it's very important to give the puppy many opportunities to do something right, then reward reward reward puppy party! Eliminating outside has to become the best thing the puppy ever did (along with coming to you when called). Try hard to lessen the accidents in the house, the more it happens, the longer house training will take.
              Tracy
              sigpic
              Mouse April 2010
              Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Working...
              X