Puppy bootcamp, here we come!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy bootcamp, here we come!!

Poor, Poor Memphis, He has lost his hearing!! No, he isnt really deaf but one would swear he was when I ask him to
    come to me.. I am treat training him and he is very responsive to
    this up until this week.. He will sit 100% of the time during
    training, he sits before going out,coming in or anytime that I ask as
    long as he is not more than 5 feet from me. If he is in a a little
    distance from me though it's like he has never heard those words
    before in his life.

He has also started shaking his head like a ticked off bull when I am leading him on his leash.. Now, he only does this when I am making him come inside and HE is not ready to come in!! Memphis has decided to try and chew down the 100 year old Oak tree in the front yard.. He has also chewed the door frame about 3 inches deep in one spot on the french doors that lead out onto the balcony from the bedroom.. The sad part is he done this in 3 chews!!I was setting right beside him and silly me thought he was chewing his bully stick I will post pics when I can, right now I have the drapes shut hoping the hubby doesnt want to go out that door. I am sure glad I have some place like this to come to and to hear others stories.. If not, I am considering putting in a moonshine
    still in my backyard and just piping it in through the water lines!!

I just keep telling myself, This too shall pass

Michelle & Memphis

RE: Puppy bootcamp, here we come!!

Hahaha that's sounds familiar! Elle had a moment at about 6 months where it was like she woke up one day and figured out "hey, I don't have to listen to this lady if I don't want to!"

The trainer in puppy grade school said Elle has "impulse control issues." DUH!!!

Good mantra though, I will have to remember "this too shall pass!"
    sigpicOwned by Elle Woods - 2.5 years old!

Comment

Darwin chewed wood the entire time he was teething. He hasn't chewed wood indoors since he lost his last tooth. He still chews branches when he's outside in the yard, but he hasn't chewed the siding, the deck or the rail road ties that block off the garden. So it does pass.

Out of curiosity, do you use hand signs with your commands? Darwin went through a period where he wouldn't respond to verbal commands (he was about 15 months old), but he'd still respond to the hand sign...

Comment

Glad to know it will pass!! I will try the hand signals.. I have been teaching hand signals with Memphis along with the verbal commands..That might work.. Thanks

Michelle & Memphis

Comment

I am having the hardest time with Anka. She's seven months and it all started about two weeks ago. As soon as I let her off the leash, she refuses to listen to me (no come, no sit, no down, etc). Also, I noticed about a week ago when we go on walks (on leash), she refuses to look at me or listen (had to tell her to sit 3 or 4 times before she would, and I did use hand signals). I don't understand her behavior. If she's in the house or screened in porch, she listens like a champ, but the moment we're outside, it all goes out the window. She makes me sooooooo mad.

I am thinking of going to obedience classes with her...hubby says no. But what do you all think?

Comment

Wow, I'm glad I'm not alone. Deuce started the same thing, when he was younger he could be off leash and he looked to me for everything. Ever since he was about 9mos (now 16)everyhthing changed and he became a sterotypical teenager, every dog outside interests him, squirrels, cats etc. In the house he is still great, he sits, downs, kinda stays, comes, goes to crate, without any problems but outside is a different story. He will sit better with hand signals outside but we can't be off leash anymore, most of the time we walk on a loose leash around the front yard but on the occasion a stray cat or squirrel pops up he gets too excited and I no longer exist.

I decided we needed obedience and I finally found a class I liked, we just started last week so we'll see how it goes, the goal of the 9wk. class is off leash control of your dog in situations of common distractions, then there's an intermediate class for even better control and any other thing you would like to work on.
            *Amy & The Boys*
            sigpic
            Polydeuces "Deuce" 2yr old Dane -- http://www.dogster.com/dogs/526324
            Austin 1 1/2 yr old Golden -- http://www.dogster.com/dogs/744984

Comment

It's very common for puppies, even those who've been well behaved, to "lose their brains" in adolescence. It's a time when they test boundaries and seem to forget everything they've learned up to that point.

How it's handled can set the tone for the rest of their lives with you. Be sure to give them plenty of structure, set them up to succeed (i.e., don't let them get into situations where you know they're liable to get into trouble or make mistakes), and gently reinforce to them that you're the leader of the pack. A mild "Nothing In Life Is Free" (NILIF) or "learn to earn" type of program, where the puppy earns what they want (treats, attention, play, walks, etc) by performing some behavior you request first, is a great way to remind them in a non-coercive way that they still need to listen to you.

Personally, I think that attending an positive reinforcement "basic manners" type obedience class is a great idea. It gives you and your dog the opportunity to learn to work together out in public, helps them learn some impulse control and to be able to work around distraction. You can check the link in my signature for the APDT for a regional trainer search, or talk to you vet or local humane society, rescues, etc for suggestions. Be sure to observe the class before you attend to be sure you're comfortable with the way things are run and the methods used. (The APDT site also has suggestions on how to select a trainer.)

Regards,
              Heather Becker, CPDT
              [link:behaviorbydesign.net/thecrew.aspx?ref=thecrew|Loki, Donnar and Jet]
              [link:apdt.com|Association of Pet Dog Trainers]

"Positive does not equal permissive."

Comment

Thank you so much!

I'm hoping that when my semester is over I will join a class with her. She NEEDS socialization with pups and people and the distraction thing sounds like it would fit her to a T. My ultimate goal is for her to be a therapy dog. I'd love to take her to the hospital or to the nursing home with my church group.

Pray hard for us!

Emily

Comment

My ultimate goal is for her to be a therapy dog. I'd love to take her to the hospital or to the nursing home with my church group.

With this being the case, it would absolutely be a great idea to attend a good basic obedience and manners type of class, or a class that prepares you for the AKC's Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test. This way you get an early start on the types of behaviors which will serve you and your girl well as you work towards therapy dog certification. Lots of socialization and experience with strange situations (noises, large, scary equipment like wheel chairs, walkers, a variety of people of all genders, racial backgrounds, hair color/facial hair, etc).

Good luck!

Regards,
                  Heather Becker, CPDT
                  [link:behaviorbydesign.net/thecrew.aspx?ref=thecrew|Loki, Donnar and Jet]
                  [link:apdt.com|Association of Pet Dog Trainers]

Comment

Working...
                  X