Need help with training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with training

We just added a dane puppy to our family, he is about 12 weeks old, and we need help training our little one. Memphis is doing great with crate training and almost never has accidents in the house, he seems to learn fast, but only when its convenient for him. I'm not sure how to let him know that I am the boss and he needs to listen. I know he's just a puppy and probably doesnt understand the word No, matter of fact he probably thinks his name is No we use it so much. I have 2 small children that are around our house a lot and he wants to play to rough with them, he likes to run and jump and the normal puppy biting, when we say no and try to redirect him, it only seems to fuel the fire, and gets him to want to play even more. I am about 5 months pregnant and I want to make sure for my child and the other children around that he cant play that rough. If someone could please help with some training advice Memphis and I would greatly appreciate it!!

RE: Need help with training

You have to provide appropriate outlets for normal puppy energy. Get some big sturdy toys and encourage him to be rough with those rather than the kids. Also train the children how to discourage rough play -arms at sides and a calm, authoritative voice.

I prefer not to use no. This can often sound like barking to dogs. I prefer eh eh.

Comment

>I'm not sure how to let him know that
      >I am the boss and he needs to listen.

You show you are boss by having the attitude of a boss, not by using physical force. When I tell a dog (any dog) to do something and he doesn't do it, I am shocked. Dogs do what I tell them to. I have the attitude of a boss. I know how to tell them what I want in a way they can understand.

>I know he's just a puppy
      >and probably doesnt understand the word No, matter of fact he
      >probably thinks his name is No we use it so much.

Then teach him what it means. Don't expect him just to know it. At that age, redirection is not a difficult task. Their attention span is about 1 milisecond.

>I have 2
      >small children that are around our house a lot and he wants to
      >play to rough with them, he likes to run and jump and the
      >normal puppy biting, when we say no and try to redirect him,
      >it only seems to fuel the fire, and gets him to want to play
      >even more.

You have to be careful how you redirect. Offering him toys CAN sometimes by SOME puppies be seen as a reward and they will work for it. Usually just getting his attention will be sufficient. By the time you have it, he as forgotten what he was doing.

>I am about 5 months pregnant and I want to make
      >sure for my child and the other children around that he cant
      >play that rough. If someone could please help with some
      >training advice Memphis and I would greatly appreciate it!!

I have never understood why people with 2 small children and pregnant would want to adopt a giant breed puppy. I know some people do it successfully, but often it causes many problems not through anyone's fault. The puppy (soon to be dog) acts like a puppy and small human children can be fragile. Its just not a good combination in my book. I think its much easier if the dog had lived there for a few years before children arrive. Thats just the views of a grumpy old man.

Bill Carnes
      www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
      Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
      Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
      Bill Carnes

Comment

I totally understand where ur coming from.. I have a 10 wk old furbaby.. he loves to play with the children.. what i did first off was told the children from the git go... No running around the pup as he will think its play time and he will chase and try to nip at them.. they do still do it ofcourse, but not as much running goes on in the house like it use to before we got the pup... Also what i did was told the kids if they wanted to play with him.. Get one of his toys and use to it play with. that way he will bite and chew on the toys and not them... Yes it did take him a while to understand no and i also use eh eh for when im not right next to him.. and cant redirect him.. he will now stop the chewing and lay his head down as to say... sheesh mom i was having fun.. ha ha.. it will take some time to learn it but they catch on quickly...

also.. bill.. lol My reasoning for getting a pup with my children was because my oldest is sort of a scared kid and we did at one point have a full grown dane, who was very behaved might i add, but my oldest was quite scared of his size.. so we got the pup so my son could grow with the pup and see that he wont hurt them... ofcourse he does try to chew on them from time to time, but they understand that he is just tring to play.. and they tell him no bite and then get one of his toys for them to play with, with him.. its working so far for us, but yes as u said it could also make him think he is getting rewarded for chewing.. most of the time he stops when told no bite.. even if the children tell him no... just alittle insite on our reasonings

Paula & bruiser (9 wks old)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t.../9wkavatar.jpg
        http://www.dogster.com/dogs/531377

Comment

Working...
        X