aggressive since being spade,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: aggressive since being spade,

Hi, thank you all for your help, advise. . . . I think I may have made Cuddles seem really bad, she really is a big lap dog. I did take her to a different dog park a few weeks after the attack and she was fine (she was muzzled) and she even let the people pet her, and they didn't mind that she was there with the muzzle (I explained why she had it on) the problem is that I need to drive for 1 1/2 hours to get to the nearest dog park. And because she does try to attack other dogs that we walk by, I am worried about taking her back to the park, until I get this under control. I am very careful when I am walking her to not transfer via leash my worried ways. She doesn't do it all the time, sometimes we can walk by another dog (across the street) and she is fine, and sometimes even though we are on the other side of the street, she see the dog and just goes crazy, it's the same thing with people, sometimes she lets them walk by without any problem, and sometimes again she trys to attack them . . . . she was twice attacked by dogs when she was a puppy, both times where unexpected, and she was on a leash, when I walk her, if there is something that bothers her, I get her to sit, not to close to the person or thing and I give her treats and talk to her telling her she's a good girl. . . sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So far the only training that I've been able to find is more than 2 hours away, and they won't do the drive here, and I'm not sure if me driving there would work, so I'm still looking for someone closer, but I have check and read the information that I googled regarding aggression, and everything else that is being suggested. I have had people come to my house, I did warn them about her, and I didn't put her muzzle on when she came, these people have dogs and understood the situation, and Cuddles was fine (kind of, she jumped on them and gave them kisses) again, because I'm in a small town, it's hard to find people who want do take a chance. . . . But I am still working with her, I won't give up. So keep the suggestions coming, I'm do appreciate them.

Comment

I'm going to go back to my earlier theory that this is leash aggression. The book "Feisty Fido" by Patricia McConnell is a great book to starty with.

Leash aggression is an extremely common problem. Not simple to cure, but best if you understand it better.

Comment

>And to Dave, having Patricia O'Connell to the house...awesome.
        >She's a celebrity in my book.

We know Trish fairly well, though I haven't seen her in a few years. My wife worked for Trish for many years, teaching classes, behavior consulting, and helping with seminars. She co-wrote a book with her (The Puppy Primer). Before my wife left to do consulting on her own, a large picture of Kato, our black Dane, used to be on the wall in Trish's office. Ripply, another Dane of ours was in some footage she used to show at seminars. When she started to write her first book Trish's behavior business (Dogs Best Friend) found themselves short handed and started refering business to my wife. She was swamped for a few months.

Comment

Update on Cuddles, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions,
          the articles and things, I had still been doing our walks everyday, only now with a halti on. I've been doing all that was suggested, the sitting and feeding of treats when dogs or people came close. . . well a couple of days ago, this lady came around the corner before I had time to cross the street (I'd been crossing the street as to not let anyone get her distracted from me and me talking to her when someone or another dog was in site) and this lady walked right by, Cuddles just looked at her, I was soo happy that I hugged her(Cuddles not the lady ) and gave her a treat and told her what a good girl she was, then yesterday, we were walking ana a little dog came running at her from a backyard, with a teenaged boys calling after the dog, well the dog came up and was jumping all over Cuddles, and she just stood there looking and sniffing him and when the boy came over she let the boy pick up his dog and walk away, and she didn't even try anything, again I gave her some candies, pet her and told her she was a good girl, and then this morning, another dog from down the street came running at Cuddles (a little dog) and was nibbing at Cuddles legs, and she just looked at the dog and didn't try anything. . . . I again gave her treats and such a hug. . . she's a good girl. . . I'm thinking of trying to take her to the dog park again, at a time when there are only a few dogs there so that she is not overwhelmed. . . . I think she is ready, or almost ready, but I don't want to do anything so that I have to go back to step one. . . . by the way, she has even stopped trying to get threw the fence to the dog next door. . . . since you all gave me such good advice, help and suggestions. . . I was wondering, do you think I can again take her to the dog park, I know she use to really like it, before she attached that dog . . . start slow, go at a time when there are not many dogs ?? I could put the muzzle on her for the first little while ? then take it off if she is behaving ?? your suggestions ? if you like. . . thank you all again for your help. . . ps, I know that it was not the spaying that changed her mood, but it could have been the fact that I had left her at the vet for two nights, which was what the vet has suggested, I think that maybe she was just overwhelmed by the sounds and the activities that when on at the vets office, and not seeing a familiar face. . . . should I ever get anything female, I will not leave her alone in a strange place again, and I won't do it to her again . . . no vacations away from home without her, or without a familiar face to dog sit :~)

Comment

I would hold off on the dog park for a while, maybe you can find a few dogs that you could have playdates with (off her property) to start off. You can't control what goes on at a dog park and a small incident could turn around all of your good work.

Sounds like you're on the right path, keep up the good work.

Mitch

In Memory of Gabe. What he lacked in body he made up for in heart.
            http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...m/doofuses.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X