Gauging dog intelligence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauging dog intelligence

I was at the vet getting the yearly vaccinations and we got on the topic of mentally challenged dogs. The Vet told me that one way to Gauge if a dog it ******ed is to watch it walking, if it drags its back feet it might be.

Because of this comment I started keeping an eye on Diesel and he dragged his back feet on every step as he walked around that night.

Is this a true statement or is my Vet out to Lunch?

sorry if I am in the wrong section it seemed that the topic made sense here.

RE: Gauging dog intelligence

I think the biggest cause of ******ed dogs is ******ed owners.

I have never heard of the foot dragging thing. I doubt there is anything to it. I don't know how you would measure ******ation in a dog anyway. Would it be by how well he follows the owner's commands? How well he does what he is bred to do? How fast or slow he is at performing tasks? I don't know.

Bill Carnes
    www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
    Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
    Bill Carnes

Comment

I'm not sure how much of a "drag" your vet was speaking of but my Jack Russell, Joey, skims the toes with one back leg when he's at a steady trot. He's done this ever since he was a pup. I hardly ever have to cut those nails!LOL! He is HIGHLY intelligent with calculated mischieviousness!
      June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
      RIP Dakota Blue Moon
      Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
      sigpic

Comment

Did you watch to see how much the vet dragged his feet? :9

Comment

I thought it was funny,

Diesel listens well, but he is really lazy (like most of the Danes I have seen). He is really unsure about the Vet though... maybe because every time he goes there he gets something shoved up his butt (Thermometer, finger to relieve anal glands, etc...)

I wouldn’t like the Vet either if that happened to me every time I went.

Comment

Edited to add second quote and comment.

"Did you watch to see how much the vet dragged his feet?"
            :9 :9 :9 Watch for scuff marks on the toes of his shoes!

"I think the biggest cause of ******ed dogs is ******ed owners."
            Bill, I think you hit the nail on the head!

Amanda and Ansel

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/atieman/Hello.jpg
            Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
            -Roger Caras

Comment

http://images3.pictiger.com/thumbs/b...a49b8bc.th.jpg

He is just so dam cute, doesnt seem retarted to me

Comment

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 That made my day!
                sigpicLexi...Forever in my heart. 2005 - 2011

Comment

lol well I have personally never heard of the foot thing, but I do have a "******ed" poodle. He was from my friends dad (who bred poodles like there was no tomorrow). Hershey was there until he was 8 months b/c nobody wanted him. He was going to be PTS but I took him in for free. He is horribly inbred...and that definately has an effect on him.
                  You will almost never see this dog walk in a straight line. All day long he walks in circles, around the coffee table legs, around his food bowl, around the other dogs when they're sleeping, and just in random perfect figure 8s.
                  If you call his name, he licks the air until he gets to you. This dog is CONSTANTLY licking something. It's definately an obsessive behavior.
                  Also, when he is eating he touches his nose to the food in the bowl. Then he picks up one piece, walks in a circle and when the circle is done he begins to chew. Then he touches the food, lifts his head, and it starts all over again.
                  ~ Alyssa and Jewel ~
                  http://www.dogster.com/?191369

Comment

Are you sure the vet said "******ed"?
                    Foot placement is something that is used to check neurological damage.

Randa
                    Randa

Comment

Well when we went to the vet about his behavior it was about 3 or 4 years ago. We never thought much about it since the whole litter did the whole licking thing.

In all seriousness when he was 5 months old he was dropped on his head. He fell off of a couch onto concrete and I had to take the unconscious pup to the vet (I was only about 13 years old at the time) The breeder would've just put him down.

~ Alyssa and Jewel ~
                      http://www.dogster.com/?191369

Comment

I was quite sure that Deco was mentally challenged until.... on or about his second birthday.
                        -Now.. I maintain the statement that if the dog had moveable thumbs.. he just may take over the world. :p I swear, if the dog spent ˝ as much time listening to what I was asking.. instead of finding a way NOT to listen… perhaps I would have liked him a little more -during those first few years. LOL
                        Deco took forever to learn *anything*... but it always worked itself out. Once he understood -just ONCE what I wanted... the big spotted beast never forgot it. -That.. or he just got so sick of me nsgging all the time.. lol, he just followed through with the command to give me hope, and to make sure I still fed him!.. *who knows*

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ecodolicon.jpg

Comment

>Are you sure the vet said "******ed"?
                          >Foot placement is something that is used to check neurological
                          >damage.
                          >
                          >Randa

No the vet never used the word "******ed", that is something I added in.

So, what you are saying is that the vet "might" not have been totaly crazy?

Comment

ecel, for example a dog with Wobblers may drag their hind feet or be slow or unaware to return the foot to normal position if you put the hind foot top down. We have a friend Dane with wobblers and on her first walk after they got some treatments working with her, she bloodied the tops of her feet in back. Now they walk her in the soft trails in the woods. Wobbler's is a cutting off of the spinal cord in the neck and they begin to loose sensation.

Comment

Neurologically compromised or challenged and mentally challenged are two different things. Seems to me the dragging back end would be more about neurological state than "intellect".

Comment

Working...
                              X