8 Week Old Puppy - Advice and Encouragement in Crate Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Week Old Puppy - Advice and Encouragement in Crate Training

I am working on day 3 of great dane puppy ownership. I have a beautiful and sweet natured Great Dane (Truman). I purchased a crate for him, but he does not seem to be adjusting well...although granted it is only day 3. Is there anything I can do to help discourage him from pooping in the crate? I work full time but I have hired a pet sitter to come visit once during the day so he is in the crate no longer then 4-5 hours at a time. Everytime she arrives he has pooped in the crate, every time I get home in the evening he has pooped in the crate, he poops in the crate at night. I have been taking him out every half hour to hour and he goes 1 or 2 times before I put him in his cage, but still seems to go once in. He also howls and howls at night. So far I have been strong and only taken him out to go to the bathroom, but I'm not sure if there is anything more I can do. TV and radio hasn't helped calm him down so far. I'm curious what night time schedules have worked well for taking the puppy out and not becoming a total zombie.

Thanks for all advice in advance.

RE: 8 Week Old Puppy - Advice and Encouragement in Crate Training

4 - 5 hrs (8 - 10 hrs) in a crate during the day is too much for a puppy. Then to expect a puppy to spend the night again in a crate.

Puppies sleep alot, but they need to be able to get up and move around. Contruct a pen that will allow the pup to leave the confines of a crate. Have an area in the pen that can be used as a potty area.

I never leave puppies confined to crates during the day. They are in pens, either inside/outside or inside only pens. I have never had a problem with housebreaking puppies.

Comment

From what kind of environment did this puppy come? Was the litter kept in a clean area?

When you say "he goes 1 or 2 times"...do you mean poop or pee?

What, how much and how often are you feeding the puppy?

Could the pet sitter come twice a day? For instance, mid-morning and mid-afternoon? Otherwise, is there a doggie day care available to you?

What have your morning and evening routines been like with him? How much play time is the puppy receiving?

Bev
      Bev
      Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
      sigpic

Comment

The puppy came from a breeder and when I visited the liter area was clean. The 3 liter mates were in a fenced off area in one of the rooms with paper in a corner.

He goes poop 1-2 times in the crate a day.

I am feeding the puppy Eagle Pak large breed puppy dry food. My vet and the breeder advised that I should be feeding him 3 1/2 to 4 cups a day at his current weight of 23lbs. I feed him this amount broken up into 4 meals - 6AM, 12-2PM, 5:30-6PM, 8PM. I take him out 30-45 minutes after each meal and he generally either poops or pees after each meal. He has been very good about going outside.

I could make arrangements for an additional visit from the pet sitter, but I am hesitant at his age to take him to a puppy daycare. My vet has recommended I wait until he has finished all his puppy shots before exposing him to enviroments with multiple dogs.

Routine is probably a little strong of a word after 3 days, but so far the day goes something like this. I get up and take him out at 5:30AM we usually play or he likes to sit with me and just be rubbed until about 6AM when I feed him. I then take him out about 6:30AM until he uses the bathroom. I put him in his crate while I shower and then bring him back out while I get ready for work and take him out one more time around 7:30-7:45. The pet sitter comes between 12-2PM and takes him in the backyard to play for 15 minutes then feeds him, hangs out with him, and takes him back out 20 minutes later until he uses the bathroom. I get home between 5:30 and 6PM and immeaditly take him out to use the bathroom. I then feed him and we hang out and play gently I take him out about every 30min to 1 hour until I go to bed about 10PM and put him in his crate. I usually wake up between 3-3:30AM to take him out again.

I want to do the right thing, but there seems to be a lot of different view points on crate training and house breaking. I have heard/read everything from strictly use the crate to not use a crate at all. Use paper/pads and don't use paper and pads because they could eat them and do a lot of damage.

Thanks,
        Jess

Comment

How big is the crate? It might be too large for him to get the point of not going to the bathroom in there. He should have room to stand up, turn around and lay down.

Any way for you and you partner to stagger your work times for a few weeks? he'll be growing up fast and will be able to hold it longer very soon.

Personally, i wouldn't wait to satart socializing him until after all of his shots, by that time it will be very late.

Comment

A puppy 8 weeks old can usally only hold it a couple hours.

http://www.xceldanes.com/naptime_2.JPG
            Lisa
            www.xceldanes.com
            sigpicLisa
            www.xceldanes.com

Comment

>while I get ready for work and take him out one more time
              >around 7:30-7:45. The pet sitter comes between 12-2PM

Way too long. The pup is in the crate from anywhere between 4 and 6 hours, and at this age, he may be able to hold 2-3 hours tops. You need to add another visit right there.

>I get home between 5:30 and
              >6PM and immeaditly take him out to use the bathroom.

Again, too long in the crate without relief. Somewhere between 3:30 - 6 hours is probably too long for this pup.

> 10PM and put him
              >in his crate. I usually wake up between 3-3:30AM to take him
              >out again.

5 hours between breaks is too long (I'm sure you're getting the general theme here). Set an alarm and get up every couple of hours, or whenever you hear him stir. As he gets older, gradually lengthen the time between the breaks, until he holds it longer and longer, and finally does not need to go out in the middle of the night.

>Use paper/pads and don't use paper and
              >pads because they could eat them and do a lot of damage.

I don't like the use of pads or newspaper, because it teaches the dog it is okay to go in the house, when it clearly isn't. However, if the option is between having a pup wallow in it's filth or have it poop in the house, I'd pick the latter.

You probably need the dog walker to come in about 3 times a day instead of once, and wake up about 3 times at night to take him out. Keep in mind that once he gets used to pooping and peeing and sitting in it, it becomes infinitely harder to potty train him.

Suja

Comment

Good points given here! BTW, welcome!
                Remember not to scold when you find accidents. When I get a puppy at that age I expect to be a zombie and you have to get up in the middle of the night. After roughly 9 or 10 weeks when Dakota stirred to go out after sleeping 6 hours over night I was thrilled! THAT seemed to be a full nights sleep! LOL!
                June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
                RIP Dakota Blue Moon
                Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
                sigpic

Comment

I didn't see how old your puppy is but I assume he is somewhere between 6 and 10 weeks old, hopefully at least 8. As has been said, he is too young to hold it more than a couple of hours. Hopefully, his crate is large enough for him to potty at one end. Someone else said to make the crate smaller and that is the advice I would give if the puppy was old enough to hold it for the necessary length of time. When he gets a little older you do need to make the crate so small that he will have to lay in it if he screws up but for now he can't help it so don't subject him to that.

This is a problem that only time will cure. His body has to develop to the point that he has control of his functions. Keep doing what you are doing as far as taking him out after meals and when you get home. Take a treat with you and give it to him immediately when he finishes. Stay out there with him. Don't just dump him out into the yard. You can't reward and praise him if you aren't there.

Don't fuss at him when he goes in the house. Unless you have caught him in the act, he won't know why he is getting fussed at anyway. When you catch him in the act, interrupt him without being overbearing and carry him outside. You may have a pee trail as you carry him out but thats ok. Praise and treat when he does good.

Don't stress over having to leave him alone. Dogs adjust well to most any circumstance and he will too. When we got our first Golden, Skylar (now departed), 14 or so years ago, both DW and myself had fulltime jobs and she was alone 8 or 9 hours a day. She was confined to a laundry room during that time and no one came home during the day to see to her. She wasn't damaged by all this in the least. She still is the smartest dog I ever had.

As far as crate training, just put him in the crate and walk away. Don't make a big deal out of it. Don't beg and cajole or bargain or bribe to get her in. Just put her in and walk away. Don't make a big deal out of it. If you make it a big deal, it becomes a big deal. Idealy the crate will be in your bedroom so the "pack" can sleep together and he won't be isolated in a far reaching corner of the house.

When you leave for work, again don't make a big deal out of it. Put him in his crate and leave for work. You can say something like "bye, now, I'll be back later" in a normal tone of voice. No baby talk, no long goodbyes. Those things cause seperation anxiety. When you return home, again don't make a big deal out of it. Come in, put your stuff down, change clothes, use the bathroom, THEN let the dog out without fanfare. Nothing special has just happened. Immediately take him outside to potty. I think you will be surprised at how quickly he becomes potty and crate trained.

Bill Carnes
                  www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
                  Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
                  Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
                  Bill Carnes

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. As with all things there are is a lot of different viewpoints, but the information is valuable.

In my efforts to be the best great dane owner I can be, I will continue to work with my little man with lots of positive reinforcement and love!

All the posts had a common theme - he is young and with time, patience, and love he will come around : )

He is a beautiful dog and I will keep everyone posted with our progress!

Thanks

Comment

Post pics of him I love puppy breath!

http://www.xceldanes.com/naptime_2.JPG
                      Lisa
                      www.xceldanes.com
                      sigpicLisa
                      www.xceldanes.com

Comment

My Hurley was 14 weeks old yesterday and he has trouble being in the crate for 4 hours sometimes. When he was 8 weeks old and we brought him home, it was tough. We kept the crate in our bedroom and everytime he had to go to the bathroom he would whimper and cry and that would wake me up. I'd take him out and then sure enough, two hours later, he would wake me up again. At that age they are just like newborn babies. It was REALLY hard. Is your crate close enough so that you can hear him if he cries??? I don't know if that's the norm or not but ours cries if he needs to go out. Then again ours also went to the door and cried by the age of 10 weeks, so maybe I just got lucky. Seriously though, I would try to move the crate closer when you sleep and maybe he'll let you know when he needs to go out.

Comment

Congrats on your new pup!

You're right on about the 'with time and Patience' part. It'll all come about. Just remember that what ever routine you set will be what your puppy will learn to expect, so be careful with what you establish.

We crated Kona right away when we got her, and the crate we got was SO big for her..(she still fits and she's 110 pounds now!) We put a baby gate in the crate 1/2 way so she wouldn't make her way to the back and pee there. I don't think she had an accident more than once ot twice.

As far as making it through the night, I'd take her out roght before we went to bed - 11 or so, and then right away when we woke up at 6 or so..(we had a baby at the same time, so I was up anyway...)I tried not to take her out in the middle of the night because I didn't want to have to do it forever. Seems to have worked! She housetrained very quickly, and we don't have any 'wee' hour complaints.

Good luck!

Comment

With both the puppys I have trained I found myself standing outside with them in leash saying "go poo deisel go poo" or now you can hear me yammering on in the back yard "go poo Tink go poo". My nieghbors must think I'm crazy.

I was pretty lucky with Crate Training, they cried for a few hours on the first night and that was it.

Comment

Working...
                            X