DOUBLE TROUBLE!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOUBLE TROUBLE!!!!!

HELLO ALL I AM NEW TO THIS AND MY FIRST ENCOUNTER OF COUSE IS ONE OF OVER DOING IT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IN LOVE WITH GD'S AND FINALLY DECIDED TO GET ONE BUT ENDED UP WITH TWO ONE HAD A MINOR PROBLEM WITH HIS LEG AND WAS GIVEN TO ME THEY ARE 10 WEEKS OLD NOW AND I AM NEEDING ADVICE ON HOW TO DEAL WITH BOTH OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME I ALREADY MAKE SURE THAT THEY GET EQUAL ATTENTION AT THE SAME TIME AND TRY TO GET THEM TO DO EVERYTHING TOGETHER BUT NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE HELP

RE: DOUBLE TROUBLE!!!!!

I would not try to give them both equal time together. I would crate train both of them. Give them both equal time, but do it separately. Get them trained properly with one on one attention, then try to move to doing it together.

Logan
    sigpic
    Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
    Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

First thing, your post would be much easier to read if you typed in lower case letters and put periods at the end of your sentences. I had to read this post three times just to understand completely what you said.

What is the minor leg problem? What do you feed them?

The rest of your post sounds like you have to healthy exuberant puppies who love to play. You deal with them by being the leader, the disclipinarian. I agree that crates for them both would be useful but don't rely just on keeping them crated to maintain order in the house.

Handling two Dane puppies can be a handful at that age and it will get more difficult before it gets better. I think you need to find a positive motivated trainer to help you understand your dogs.

Get and read the following books in no particular order:
      1. "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson
      2. "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell, Ph.D.
      3. "Clicking With Your Dog" by Peggy Tillman
      4. "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller

Bill Carnes
      www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
      Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
      Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
      Bill Carnes

Comment

I would call your breeder and give one of the pups back. What you are dealing with is just the tip of the iceberg! Owning a pup should be an enjoyable experience.......what you have gotten into with taking two (and one with a health issue) will be overwhelming and can easily lead to very big problems!
        Who ever sold <gave> you these pups did a huge disservice to you, the pups and the breed. THEY, of course, are smiling just like the cheshire cat.
        Carolyn
        Divine Acres Great Danes

<<edit for spelling>>
        Carolyn
        Divine Acres Great Danes
        Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
        sigpic

Comment

Hello and welcome to DOL!

Hate to be a wet blanket, but I do agree with the above advice of returning one puppy.

If that isn't possible or something you refuse, here are some ideas to help.

Do you have a female/male or one of each sex? Either way, I'd recommend spaying/neutering as early as safely possible. Spay at 9 months and neuter at 12 months, earlier if you're having any issues.

You've bitten off a lot to chew and need to get busy ASAP, to ensure sanity in your household. Each pup needs to be taken to puppy class, separately if possible. They need lots of time apart from one another, or they'll end up bonded very well to each other. That can lead to a variety of problems like not bonding with you (making training difficult) to anxiety when they have be separated.

When you train one pup, put the other in his crate. Definitely crate them separately.

I would plan to do at least two rounds of obedience after puppy classes, so a total of 3-4 classes (per dog) including puppy class.

Be consistent on the rules of your home from early on. If you don't want them on the furniture or wrestling in the house, don't allow that now.

BTW, message board etiquette dictates that writing in all CAPS, it's like yelling at your audience. I'm sure you didn't mean to yell at us, so just letting you know.

Best of luck,
          Bev
          Bev
          Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
          sigpic

Comment

Depending on the leg issue, also be prepared for huge medical bills. Vaccinations, spay/neuter surgery, and caring for one growing giant puppy can be daunting enough for the average family budget. But double that and add to it a puppy with a health issue that could blossom into something more serious is not something that I would tackle, and I earn a pretty decent salary.

Raising two puppies is a huge task, but can be done, if you are determined to keep both dogs. Just keep in mind that given their choice, they will bond with each other rather then you. They need to look to you for guidance and leadership. Think of it as if you were a school teacher with a class of two unruly boys. What would those boys rather do - listen to the teacher or mess around with each other at recess? Dogs need to be taught how to act and they won't learn it unless you separate them and raise them as two different members of the same pack.
            My best boy, Trooper.
            sigpic

Comment

The leg problem has been seen by two vets,and they both agree it is just minor nerve damage and a few cortizone shots will take care of the issue , and also he is healing very well in just one week he is no longer limping. I also need to know where can I get theese books I would love to read them I am very willing and determinded to keep my boys {Turbo and Diesel} they are very good we have been working on house training just a week and have not had no accidents in two days thanks for the info we are very greatful.

Comment

Where do I get theese crates for now I am using my bathroom because no one knows what I am talking about around here{podunkville} thank you for the info.

Comment

Sorry about the message not got the hang of this yet.I am already in love with my boys the are amazing and doing very well adjusting to their new lives. My father-in-law is a trainer and is going to help and my husband is also right beside me through this. I did consider returning one, but could not bear the thought of him not having a good life and I know that if he is with me he will have all he could want that you for the advice and the tips I will keep all of you informed.

Comment

Two boys will make your job that much harder. When you have mutliple canines it is always best to have one fo each sex. The crate you want is called the MidWest 99 or Colossal crate. They are 54 inches tall. A dane will out grow any other crate.

Most of those books are available at any library or you can purchase them at Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.

Logan
                    sigpic
                    Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                    Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

You should be able to order the books from http://www.amazon.com and/or http://dogwise.com. Check them both. One may be cheaper on some books and the other cheaper on the others but keep in mind if you order them all at once from one place, you only pay one shipping charge.

I'm glad to see you are making progress.

Bill Carnes
                      www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
                      Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
                      Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
                      Bill Carnes

Comment

Working...
                      X