Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need enrichment suggestion

Hello

My friends freeze canned food in Kongs for their dogs, and their dogs LOVE it. I can't find a toy big enough for a Dane because Clint's tongue is too BIG for most 'hide a treat' toys and he gives up after two minutes if he can't reach the food.

I just tried freezing canned food in a small tupperware container and it was moderately successful for him...but he LOVED it SO much.

Does anyone have a better suggestion???

Hope so!

RE: Need enrichment suggestion

Even the XL kongs are not big enough? I have 2 of those and I use Peanut butter or the canisters of stuff they sell for kongs (not the treats the fake cheese stuff) ... although they get it all pretty fast... they are VERY efficient! they LOVE it, too! :P I like the red "bone" kong because then you can put it in both ends... lasts a little longer. now if I could just find a bone that would last more than 5 minutes....

Comment

Haha, I DO have the bone Kong and I used the squeezy filling...if its not near the outside edge he gives up and I wash it all out!! Maybe Clint's just lazy... }(

I used to give him Bully Sticks...they lasted a while...but he's past the chewing stage so it's hard to keep him entertained, even tho he gets 2-3 walks a day.

Silly dog!

Comment

Have you tried other types of interactive toys like these at [link:www.sitstay.com/store/toys/toysd.shtml|SitStay.com]? They provide more options than just retrieving the treats by licking. My dogs love the Buster Cube and will bat it around the house for hours to get every last treat out. Since its filled with dry treats (or cat food in our case) there's no work at cleaning it out either.

Regards,
        Heather, Loki & Donnar
        [link:www.bestpaw.com|Best Paw Forward, Inc. Family Dog Training Center]
        [link:www.apdt.com|Association of Pet Dog Trainers]
        "Positive does not equal permissive."

Comment

I may try that. I've had toys where the treats sticks out of the side and he has to pull them out. He is so gentle that he's unsuccessful and then gives up(silly boy). I guess he doesn't want treats bad enough!

Comment

I have a chow mix that is similar - he'll lick peanut butter out of the end of a kong, and will pull obvious treats out of other types of toys like that, but doesn't spend a lot of time working to get the harder to reach ones. He does show more interest in the Buster Cube and a similar ball shaped toy we found, though.

Regards,
            Heather, Loki & Donnar
            [link:www.bestpaw.com|Best Paw Forward, Inc. Family Dog Training Center]
            [link:www.apdt.com|Association of Pet Dog Trainers]
            "Positive does not equal permissive."

Comment

Andrea,
              Deco is a lazy boy when it comes to the kong as well. I dont use them anymore, unless we're in the car... at which time he'll fuss with it during the whole trip.

The BEST thing I've found to give both my guys is RAW marrow bones. I boil them for 5 minutes or so, just to get rid of the bloody loose end "things".. LOL. But they pick away at it, scrap the bone clean.. and then spend days working on the marrow. I just threw one away yesterday that was a week old I guess.

I find w/ boiling them, they dont smell (well, not any more than a Bullystick) and because they're not cooked.. they wont splinter.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ecodolicon.jpg

Comment

>I have a chow mix that is similar - he'll lick peanut butter
                >out of the end of a kong, and will pull obvious treats out of
                >other types of toys like that, but doesn't spend a lot of time
                >working to get the harder to reach ones. He does show more
                >interest in the Buster Cube and a similar ball shaped toy we
                >found, though.

That is EXACTLY how Sadie is with Kongs! She loves to suck peanut butter out and will grab at the easy stuff, but that's about it.

She does love her 'dry treat' toys, though. Her favorite is Premier's purple squirrel, Busy Buddy. Those are nice b/c you can customize the size of the opening a little. Premier also makes a two-part treat disc that you can open or close as much as you want to accommodate your dog. And since it comes apart, it's easy to clean any leftovers. I'm also a fan of Planet Dog's Orbos. They don't hold a lot, and the hole is small, but they're cute and smell nice.

You might also want to look at the ICube (I think that's what it's called). It's a reinforced fabric cube with shaped openings on each side that you can stuff squeaky balls and treats in.

Chris, Sadie, and now little Surf!
                Chris

sigpic

Watch Sadie run! CPE Level 1 Standard 3/22/2008 http://www.arielagility.com/videoplayer.php?recordID=712

Comment

thanks for the suggestions, I will try some of them out!

Comment

Working...
                  X