can anyone give me any pointers on stopping dane from

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone give me any pointers on stopping dane from

Sounds like your talking about my dog. LOL! Do you crate her while your gone? If so put some bones in her crate, and that should help. At least it does with mine. Sometimes you do have to wait it out though. Good luck.
    sigpicLexi...Forever in my heart. 2005 - 2011

RE: can anyone give me any pointers on stopping dane from

Since she isnt doing that when you are home, sounds like a case of separation anxiety to me. Totally doesnt like the fact that you leave during the day and leave her crated. Layla was like this too. Also, could be entering that whole "teenage" stage thing. I would try to leave a tv or radio on for her, give her some fave treats to chew on while you are gone and wait it out. Eventually Layla stopped chewing up stuff in her crate. But I still cant trust her to have full run of the house when Im gone because she would chase my cat or chew up couch cushions just because its fun. Good luck. I think there are a number of us here who have been thru this!
    "The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -- Anonymous

Jocelyn & Layla.....
    in memory of Sargeant Pepper, Gracie, Thea, and our little Buddy dog. Gone but never forgotten.

Comment

Try an all-cotton quilt with cotton batting. These are made in China and available at Sears and Old Time Pottery, among other places.

For whatever reason, they don't find the cotton as interesting to chew up.

The separation anxiety is a separate issue to work on, but the cotton quilt should hold up better.

mp

Comment

I would also try for more exercise. One daily walk isn't enough when they are young. They need more off leash running and playing and wrestling...you'll find them better behaved when they get the nervous energy out.

Comment

How long do you have to leave him crated while you are gone?

Is there any chance someone could come and let him out for a nice romp in the backyard or something during the afternoon while your away?

Maybe try a stuffed kong in his crate as well...give him something to distract himself with besides the activity of shredding his bedding.

Comment

If its separation anxiety that is causing the chewing, there isn't much you can do until you get the separation anxiety under control. Even mild SA can cause destruction issues. One of my danes will rip up paper if I leave her alone in the house for 10 minutes. If she is crated with a bed she destroys it right away. I definitely think its a little SA with my dog, although at least with her its mild.

I have found Kuranda dog cots to be quite durable against her chewing issues. They are spendy but will last, just be sure to get the extra tough 40oz. vinyl fabric if you get one. They make a size that fits perfectly in the 54" crate.

Comment

Is your pup chewing or nesting. My Elliott was this way too, it started with some serious scratching with his paws to get the blanket just right & then when there was a tear he would chew it up. I had to give up on anything soft. I don't think he had SA, he wasn't stressed when I left or came back, didn't mind going in his crate etc.

He never stopped it, I eventually just gave him a bigger space & would get couches from garage sales (those lasted longer) or people giving them to me and when they were shredded beyond recognition I gave him another.

Mitch

In Memory of Gabe. What he lacked in body he made up for in heart.
              Click here Updated 1/23/06
              [http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288799713]
              Chicagoland pet sitting, grooming & dog training
              http://www.knowplacepets.com

Comment

can anyone give me any pointers on stopping dane from

totally destroying any blanket I put in his crate? I've gone through 4, and then some sheets. I can't seem to let him have anything nice and comfy to lay on during day while we are gone. At night I can leave him on couch and he sleeps just fine and doesn't bother anything. If I did that during day I know the house would be destroyed when I got home. He's 1yr old. He gets his 45 min. walks and nylabone (destroys all other toys in seconds) do I just wait it out?

Jackie

Comment

My male does this. He might have SA, though. Of course he also just likes destroying things with stuffing in it... He even can pull ANYTHING through the top of his cage . I give him a sheet to sleep with now.... and for some weird reason he wont eat that. Maybe because it is to flat and boring? I feel bad because my girl has this nice bed in her cage now, but he just can't - he pulls the stuffing out, and then goes to sleep when there is no more stuffing to play with! x( Leaving me to clean it all up).

Comment

Buy some remnant plush carpet and cut it to size for the kennel. Cut several, just in case he chews or messes one. It will give him something soft and is much harder to chew to shreds. If he does, just change out the carpet.

Comment

The first thing is to increase the amount of exercise.

The second thing is PLEASE be careful what you put in there. I know dogs that have died from eating carpet AND blanket. If there are any pieces missing, watch out that they are found eventually and if the dog acts strangely at all, take it to the vet.

The two options I have found are:
                      No blanket, I've heard from some that after not having one, later when it's reintroduced the dog "appreciates" it. I don't know if that's true.

What I've done is use crate mats. I buy mine from H-H industries:
                      http://www.hh-industries.com/cushions.htm

They are pretty darned close to indestructible. They are made of a heavy poly tarp sort of thing, easy to clean and custom fit. Measure your crate so that the mat is then like a second floor and the dog has more difficulty pulling it up and eating it.

My mats are about 12 years old and endured several yearling destructors. The worst wear is some scratch marks.

They are reasonably priced, fast and good service. You select the size and thickness.

Sandy

http://home.earthlink.net/~witzndane...ec15logogo.jpg
                      http://web.mac.com/Witzn
                      http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

Working...
                      X