Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got home from a dog show - I have questions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
    Dane classes are divided by sex and color, so say your boy is the only open class mantle dog: blue ribbon for you! (Not saying this is the only way you will get "ribbons", but you get the idea.)
    Not entirely true, if your dog really doesn't meet the standard and still the only dog in the ring the judge can withhold a ribbon and you can walk away with a second even being the only dog in the ring for the class.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
      Not entirely true, if your dog really doesn't meet the standard and still the only dog in the ring the judge can withhold a ribbon and you can walk away with a second even being the only dog in the ring for the class.
      You are absolutely right.

Comment

Oh man. How much would that suck?
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

That would be rather embarrassing, but I've seen it happen in the horse world. Does it happen frequently at dog shows, or is it a rarity?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hiraeth View Post
            That would be rather embarrassing, but I've seen it happen in the horse world. Does it happen frequently at dog shows, or is it a rarity?
            It happens. It's not common. Then again, I've seen dogs SEVERELY lacking and even lame who were awarded ribbons and even points. So it goes both ways.
            *Jennifer*
            Member GDC of Mid-Florida
            sigpic

Comment

Even if you do get ribbons by default for being the only one in your class, that only works for singles, right? Isn't the amount of dogs in the field what makes a major?
              sigpic
              Fergus
              SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
              Eisen Shark
              C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

The number of males and females being shown that day makes a major. It takes more or less dogs to make a major depending on where in the US you are showing.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
                  Even if you do get ribbons by default for being the only one in your class, that only works for singles, right? Isn't the amount of dogs in the field what makes a major?
                  You have to beat another dog to earn a single point. So if you are the only Great Dane showing that day, you will win Best of Breed (unless ribbon is withheld) and are eligible to go on to compete in the Group ring. However, you won no points despite being Best of Breed.

If there were 2 class dogs entered, the winner gets the single point. If they were in the same class, WD is the 1st place winner. If different classes, they go back in the Winners ring and the WD is selected.

If there was 1 male class dog and 1 female class bitch entered (and no ribbons withheld), Best of Winners wins a single point. Now, if a ribbon was withheld from either dog then neither one will win a point.

Majors require higher entry numbers and it depends on which AKC Division your state is in. Males and females often require different entry numbers for majors.

I have never been to a show where there was only a single entry in Danes. Usually, there are at least a dozen Danes where I show and they are spread out over several classes. A dog can wrack up dozens and dozens of blue ribbons and never win a single point.
                  *Jennifer*
                  Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                    You have to beat another dog to earn a single point. So if you are the only Great Dane showing that day, you will win Best of Breed (unless ribbon is withheld) and are eligible to go on to compete in the Group ring. However, you won no points despite being Best of Breed.

If there were 2 class dogs entered, the winner gets the single point. If they were in the same class, WD is the 1st place winner. If different classes, they go back in the Winners ring and the WD is selected.

If there was 1 male class dog and 1 female class bitch entered (and no ribbons withheld), Best of Winners wins a single point. Now, if a ribbon was withheld from either dog then neither one will win a point.

Majors require higher entry numbers and it depends on which AKC Division your state is in. Males and females often require different entry numbers for majors.

I have never been to a show where there was only a single entry in Danes. Usually, there are at least a dozen Danes where I show and they are spread out over several classes. A dog can wrack up dozens and dozens of blue ribbons and never win a single point.
                    Come visit. I'll take you to some of those shows lol. Thanks for explaining that. I've never quite caught on to how points were acquired.
                    sigpic
                    Fergus
                    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                    Eisen Shark
                    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Working...
                    X