Considering showing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering showing

I'm considering showing our older dane who is already a champion. How involved and expensive of a proposition is this? We have two kids and a crazy family schedule so I am wondering if this would be doable. We'd hire a handler. Any thoughts? Anything I should know before jumping in?
    sigpic
    6 year old brindle male GD
    3 year old black female GD

Depends on how far you want to go. What is your goal? Grand CH? Top 20? If you are just aiming to put his GCH title on him, I think its totally feasible. Figure it costs about $30 entry per show, ~$100 handler fee per show, plus travel to/from shows and misc supplies like show leads and bait etc.

Look up the show calendar in your area and get an idea of how many shows you will attend each month and how far (distance) they are from you. Travel will probably be your biggest expense. Gas, time off work, hotel expenses etc all add up quickly. But if you have a lot of fairly local shows, its much cheaper.
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

I second all of the above concisely provided by Jennifer, and heartily encourage all who have an interest.

But you've roused my curiosity, OP.

I am assuming this is likely a breeder placement/re-home?

Is the dog still intact?

Have you discussed with your breeder?

Danefully,

Dru

Alamo Great Dane Club
      GDCA Delegate

Comment

Originally posted by 111Danes View Post
        I second all of the above concisely provided by Jennifer, and heartily encourage all who have an interest.

But you've roused my curiosity, OP.

I am assuming this is likely a breeder placement/re-home?

Is the dog still intact?

Have you discussed with your breeder?

Danefully,

Dru

Alamo Great Dane Club

GDCA Delegate

My bad. I already knew from prior conversations with the OP that the dog is still intact and the breeder is fully supportive of the idea.

But very good points to bring up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        *Jennifer*
        Member GDC of Mid-Florida
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Jennifer. That sounds totally doable! I would just do the Grand CH title. And yes, I am working with the breeder.
          sigpic
          6 year old brindle male GD
          3 year old black female GD

Comment

Thanks, Jennifer, for filling in the details for me!

'Just a few words of caution.... I've found the experience, the environment, the socialization/sharing with like interested folks... all that with or without winning....Well, it can become a bit addictive, much like the breed.

Best of luck to you,

Dru

Alamo Great Dane Club
            GDCA Delegate

Comment

Working...
            X