AKC cheat sheet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AKC cheat sheet

Is there a Cliff Notes for this stuff? I hate not understanding all the ins and outs of how the showing world functions. I think I basically understand how you get a CH or GCH in front of your name, and that's about it. How does a dog go from CH to being in the BIG SHOW at Westminster? I need AKC for Dummies.
    --------------------------
    Josh Wolff
    Bowie: born 2/15/2012
    Jayda: born 08/19/2014

sigpic

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...tdogshows.html

Here's a link
    Tracy
    sigpic
    Mouse April 2010
    Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Thanks for link....follow-up question......

So can any dog who has earned his/her championship enter? Is it a matter of just paying entry fees, etc? Or are they selected in some way or "invited" to participate?
      sigpic
      Hank 02/07/2010
      Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

I do believe invites are sent out, but I don't know the criteria. I don't know if a person can enter a dog in at Westminster just because they think they have a shot? Probably, but what's the point?
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Wkc

The top 5 dogs (computed by breed wins/number of dogs defeated as of 10/31) of each breed are Invitees.

Additionally, the breed winners from any recognized National Breed Club Specialty are also Invitees.

Other champions are eligible provided they attain their Ch. prior to entry submittal and provide the required proof. The class entries (BBE, Am Bred, Open) must already be major pointed prior to submittal, and again, substantiated.

Beyond that, the entry is limited in number and there is a fairly short window of opportunity to enter. Entries close in December for a February show, where regular shows generally close 2 1/2 weeks before the event. Entry fee is $100 and comes with additional submittal requirements.

'Hope this answers some of the questions raised.

Comment

I am learning so much! Thank you for all the great info!

aaaaannnnd, I have another follow up question.

Is the criteria similar I presume for the National Dog Show? I think I remember seeing many of the same dogs entered in both the National Show and Westminster. Do breeders prefer one show over another for any particular reason? Does one or the other hold more prestige? Is that just subjective?
            sigpic
            Hank 02/07/2010
            Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

Working...
            X