No announcement yet.

2015 Westminster KC Show in NYC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Henry! Carolyn is top notch breeder, owner, and handler.

Comment

I also wanted to mention that I was disappointed to hear the commentators saying things like "XYZ breed is dominant". Can we get past this nonsense yet?

Also do all these people really feed their show dogs purina? Or they were paid to say that? Surprised.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tiva View Post
        Also do all these people really feed their show dogs purina? Or they were paid to say that? Surprised.
        I was also so surprised at this! I realize the show was sponsored by Purina, but really? All those years of winners are fed Purina products?
        sigpic
        Hank 02/07/2010
        Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

It is pretty sad to see purinia so easily praised at the shows especially after their huge recalls as of late. This food is junk imho.

Comment

Actually yes. I know a lot of well known show breeders who feed ProPlan. Not saying they did not exaggerate the numbers though

Comment

For a long time I have wondered why Danes do not do better at Westminster. I have always assumed I feel this way because I happen to love Danes, so when I see a beautiful Dane I automatically think it is the prettiest dog in the room. Does anybody else have any theories?

I assume that when a judge compares examples of animals from different breeds they are actually considering how well each animal represents it's own breed. So, the animal that wins BIS is presumably the most nearly perfect example of any breed shown at that show. Does this make sense?
              --------------------------
              Josh Wolff
              Bowie: born 2/15/2012
              Jayda: born 08/19/2014

sigpic

Comment

Danes don't move as well as other breeds. Movement denotes soundness. The winning breeds have good reach and drive which danes don't have.

Comment

I was pushing for Swagger the Old English. He is owned by a local breeder and club member in Colorado Springs, CO. The handler (son of breeder) was interviewed by Purina and yes they do feed Pro Plan. I know the breeders and they are such nice people.

I picked out the Beagle. I liked his balance of angles front and rear, level top line and overall type. I'm glad that a real "dog" won and not a "fluff" breed.

Danes don't have a coat to hide faults and they don't have the movement. IMHO, Danes have moderately ok fronts and most have awful rears. Many don't have classic heads.

The Danes can be viewed by going to the Westminster KC site and looking at the recorded videos. I opened a separete tab with the dogs names and numbers. I used www.infodog.com because it was easier to see them.
                  The video show the Best of Breed judging only. There were no class dogs. The BB class was divided into 3 (if I remember) groups. That is why you may have noticed a lot of dogs leaving the ring. Then the judge pulled about 4 dogs from each group. Then all those pulled from the smaller groups were judged for Best of Breed, Best of Opposite Sex, Select Dog, Select Bitch and Award of Merits.

Comment

Originally posted by saharadane View Post

Danes don't have a coat to hide faults and they don't have the movement. IMHO, Danes have moderately ok fronts and most have awful rears. Many don't have classic heads.
                    Completely inexperienced, novice, greenie here...but I was going to say the same thing. I think Danes are challenged because they are so big and there's so much more of them to see. All of their "stuff" is out there, so visible. I would also assume since they are so big, their structure is so important and hard to master. So those two combined make it sooo hard to be a top stand out. Don't know if that made any sense...I just know that I have a TON of respect for dane breeders who are doing it the right way!!!

Also, I have a question...why do certain breeds like (Cocker Spaniels, Bull Terriers) get to show multiple dogs just because of their color? Seems like most breeds (like our danes) have a color variety...but we don't get to put out one of each color??? Someone educate me!

(Sorry for the very poor articulation of everything above!)
                    sigpic

Comment

Makes sense. I do find it frustrating, though, if it comes down to movement when you're comparing a Great Dane to dogs whose entire range of motion could fit inside a Danes' mouth.
                      --------------------------
                      Josh Wolff
                      Bowie: born 2/15/2012
                      Jayda: born 08/19/2014

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X